project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Software & Operating Systems
01 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Software & Operating Systems Discussion on Computer Software & Operating Systems

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
Mad-Mike

Default Computer Stops on loading screen?

Hi im fixing a friends computer.

Every time the computer boots it will not go past windows loading screen.
When I restart and try running it in safe mode it freezes on
Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys
It also stops on the message above when I use Safe Mode With Networking, Safe Mode With Command Prompt.
I have also tryed Last known good configuration(advanced) but nothing happens and it restarts again.

I have googled the message it stops on and its seems to be an error with AVG (say no more)
I have tryed using the AVG recover disk that some people said worked for them but the CD will not boot. Yes I've gone into the BIOS and made CD/DVD my primary boot. Im still trying to get it to boot while im typing this.

I dont know much of the PC Specs apart from Its an Acer Aspire M1640 running Windows Vista Home.

My last option is to do a clean copy of windows but I dont really want to do this because they have alot of photos on the hard drive of some important things.

Any help will be appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mad-Mike is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive
Default Re: Computer Stops on loading screen?

Guess you tried this?

AVG Support and Discussion Forums | AVG Worldwide

If not try this one

(Solved) - Won't Boot- System Recovery Options.. Need HELP ? How-To Geek Forums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Alternate to their recovery CD

by karikas2000 - 12/2/10 7:50 AM

In Reply to: Re: AVG update by Ondrej_AVG

I was able to fix this problem without downloading and using their recovery CD - here are the steps I took if you're familiar with the command line:
- Hit F8 during startup and started System Recovery Mode (I think that's what it was called - first option)
- Chose Command Prompt
- Navigated to my Program Files (x86) directory (which surprisingly wasn't on C: but on E: )
- Went into the avg/avg10 folder
- rename avgrsa.exe avgrsa.bak
- rename avgchsva.exe avgchsva.bak

Voila! Windows started up fine in normal mode after that. Now to uninstall AVG.
OR:

Quote:
One last step could be renaming whole AVG program folder (C:\Program files (x86)\AVG) to another name.
SEE FURTHER INFO HERE:
AVG Update today, comp won't boot - CNET AVG Forums

You can do this by
1. Using a AVG recovery CD in the link above.
2. Using a Linux LiveCD, mountin ghte hard drive, navigating to /program files/AVG or something similar
3. taking hard drive out of Acer and connecting it to another PC.

FYI Mike, IT IS IMPORTANT that you uninstall AVG antivirus as soon as you can, or the same stupid update that fried the OS might reinstall.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
Mad-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
As I stated in the OP the recovery CD from AVG will not boot.(tryed lots of different ones)

The second link was useful I used the Unbuntu disk to get to the files but when I copied them to an external HDD then plugged the external into my computer the files had errors and was not a folder. It was a system.exe
Also while I was on the Unbuntu disk I tried to remove AVG from remove programs but there was no option and all I could do was remove AVG files from program files but when I restarted the computer it still stops on the loading screen Loaded:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
One last step could be renaming whole AVG program folder (C:\Program files (x86)\AVG) to another name.
How is this possible? - If you mean with a Unbuntu Disk or somthing... It doesnt work sadly

Old 04-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
MaSSive

I dont understand how it wouldnt work for you. Its a bootable ISO image which you download and burn to blank CD disk. No extracting just straight burn ISO to blank CD.

http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download-file-cd-arl-iso < download this

AVG Support and Discussion Forums | AVG Worldwide

I just downloaded and checked, it is bootable cdrom image.

Quote:
How to disable AVG when the operating system cannot be started properly

If you suspect that an AVG component is preventing your computer from starting properly, follow the steps below to verify the situation.

1. Use AVG Rescue CD to boot your computer.

2. When the AVG Rescue CD is launched, select the Utilities -> File Manager menu item.

3. Navigate to the mounted system drive. This will be /mnt/sda1/ in most cases.

4. Within this drive, navigate to the /Windows/system32/drivers/ folder.
- Rename (using the F6 key) all files starting with avg (e.g. avgldx86.sys, avgtdix.sys, etc.) to back them up. You can change their extension from .sys to .bak, for example.

5. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and reboot the system (make sure to remove the AVG Rescue CD from your optical drive before doing so).
- Your system will boot without AVG being involved in the process.

AVG Rescue CD Guide | AVG Worldwide

As for linux or Ubuntu live disk, you just need to open your Windows folder on mounted drive and look for file you need to delete or rename. In this case look at \windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys < rename that file to avgidseh.bak

You cant go to add remove programs to remove AVG its not Windows its just live linux distro.

What you can do is to rename AVG folder as Litoralis described, but first you need top make sure your OS drive is mounted. So in Ubuntu just open file manager and click on your system drive and it should mount it automatically, and then search for AVG install folder, or problematic driver in \windows\system32\drivers\

CATA4TW!
Last edited by MaSSive; 04-19-2012 at 04:03 PM..
Old 04-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Mad-Mike

Ok I managed to get the AVG recover disk to boot.

I followed the steps to: /mnt/sda1/WINDOWS/System32/Drivers But there was NO name on the list that started or had AVG like on the screenshot :/
Im guessing when I used the linux cd and deleted it from the program files, it worked!

So why wont it still boot windows and stops on Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys still ?

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Mike View Post
Ok I managed to get the AVG recover disk to boot.

I followed the steps to: /mnt/sda1/WINDOWS/System32/Drivers But there was NO name on the list that started or had AVG like on the screenshot :/
Im guessing when I used the linux cd and deleted it from the program files, it worked!

So why wont it still boot windows and stops on Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\avgidseh.sys still ?

Mike isn't it obvious? You have problem with AVG driver, you need to delete or rename that driver not AVG folder in program files.

So, /mnt/sda1/Windows/System32/drivers/avgidseh.sys < find that and rename ot delete it, and follow steps to remove AVG completely out of your PC.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
Mad-Mike

I know but like I said above. When I use the AVG recover disk and follow the target, Their is no name called avgidseh.sys or anything similar. And I said I think its not their because I deleted the AVG folder from program files when I used the Linux CD (before I got the recover disk to work).

I have had a scan around the AVG recover disk and their is no option to remove AVG completely of the computer.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
MaSSive

Ouch...so what you're saying is that avgidseh.sys is not in Windows/system32 and your PC still wont start because of it? Man I just love this shit...

Not sure, but if your OS is 64bit this file might be in C:\Windows\SysWOW64\avgidseh.sys

If its not there, this going to be more interesting to solve.

Edit: Ive found this as well.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ightmare-64bit

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/AVG-Upda...news-9201.html

http://www.pcrepairmansblog.com/avgi...e-boot-cd-fix/

If you can boot into safe mode ( F8 on startup > Safe mode ) you can do repair on AVG installation and after its repaired and system boots fine, you can say goodbye to it, by uninstalling it if you wish.

CATA4TW!
Last edited by MaSSive; 04-25-2012 at 09:42 AM..

Tags
computer, loading, screen, stops