project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Agent Parker
Banned
Default [Map] Fox Trap (2km) [scrapped]

Hi there. After being a long time lurker I decided to give in my craving to make a map for this fine mod.
My plan was to create very european looking map that should resemble a rural french or english landscape. For this I used satellite images to give me a basic arrangement of shapes. However I do not plan to use a premade heightmap. The satellite images are used as a guide.

Fox Trap
Size: 2km
Factions /Gametype: Not determined yet

Explanation of the map

The Yellow lines are supposed to be roads. Dirtroads to be more exact. Also they will be paralled by large hedges/bushes (depending on what the Bf2 vegetations offer).
The Small grey boxes are settlements. For that I plan to use the european looking shacks from that Fools Road map.
The large Grey areas are patches of fields, encircled by hedges. They will be densely popluated by grass. If all goes well I can artificially limit the drawdistance of the grass and at the same time hide the grass fading out by using well sized hedges.
The Forests are large and thick Woodlands, with very thick bushlines blocking the view INTO it. They are supposed to be off limits for vehicles and difficult to spot things in it. Trucks may be able to drive in and setup well protected FBs.
The swamps will be, well... swampy. This means shallow bodies of water that are deep enough to prevent any passage for vehicles. Dotted with small islands, making this terrain very dangerous to pass.

A am a big fan of the old close combat games and I wanted to create some chokepoints by making certain areas very high risk for Vehicles. This would give infantry in some areas good protection. While more open areas would give tanks more of an advantage.

I have not yet decided which Factions are going to be used. One Idea is Russia vs US Army. With 1-2 Tanks, 2 APCs and the usual support trucks. The amount of armor should be limited to still have enough infantry players running around
Insurgency would play out nice, however I might have to check if Talibans would be too far out for this. Anyway I am open for any suggestions concerning the factions used. I do not have any problem on my side with exotic combinations. The only combination I would like to avoid is Russia vs Chechen because they have a lot of similar gear. Which in my eyes, decreases some of the gameplay value.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

Smile Re: [New map/Terrain] [WIP] Fox Trap Ever use undergrowth as overgrowth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Parker View Post
The large Grey areas are patches of fields, encircled by hedges. They will be densely popluated by grass. If all goes well I can artificially limit the drawdistance of the grass and at the same time hide the grass fading out by using well sized hedges.
[
Big no-go!

do not use undergrowth as cover or any things else!

use the overgrowth undergrowth aka the overgrowthfields!

anyway good luck!

have you already tried making a vbf2 or pr map at all?
or for another game?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Agent Parker
Banned
Default Re: [New map/Terrain] [WIP] Fox Trap

The fields I want to create are just grassfields with a very low height. These are no Korengal-type fields that can hide entire players. I want the players to still be able to see things when the go prone in the grass. the hedges will be overgrowth obviously.
To answer the other question, yes I created some BF2 maps, but I never released anything. And I am quite experienced with heightmaps. I created stuff for Crysis and even C&C Generals.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Jonny

That looks nothing like any countryside I've ever seen. Far too much is forested IMO.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
J.F.Leusch69
Retired PR Developer

show some screens, everybody love screens
Old 03-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
IronTaxi
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
That looks nothing like any countryside I've ever seen. Far too much is forested IMO.
hehe...

and how many countries have you been through? and of those countries what percentage of the terrain have you personally seen?

fairly weak comment Johnny. no offence intended but I dont see anything even slight abnormal about the layout..and the density of forest.

Looks like a great potential layout..but its all in the execution right?

1. statics should be placed with purpose

2. Create scenes within the locations to make them feel lived in and used

3. Ignore 50 percent of the comments from both pubbies and Devs..hehe
(except me of course)

Old 03-08-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]IronTaxi View Post
(except me of course)
Listen to this man, he speaks the truth.

Now you have to judge if I'm one of the 50% you have to listen to or not
Old 03-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Agent Parker
Banned

Quote:
(except me of course)
You made that fools road map? In that case, HAIL TO THE PIMP!

Quote:
1. statics should be placed with purpose
Yes here in the hood they say: Form follows function.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Agent Parker
Banned

I have a question that the DEVs can hopefully answer quickly. I am currently determining the main settlement types. How the starting bases of each team looks is dependant on what map type it is going to be.
If it is going to be Insurgency I do not need a fortified main base for one team.

1. Would it be too far out to use Taliban on a map that from the selection of static objects is similar to Fools Road? I would not care much about it because there is surely forested areas in this part of the world. And taliban attacking a neighboring post-soviet country would pose as a backstory. Not that I do care about backstories either. The map is at a critical point because I have to plan out some basic layouts depending on the game type.

2. Is it possible to use Chechen rebels on a cache hunt map? Does the game code support that?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #10
Tannhauser

Not a DEV but ...

1- Talibans in forested area? Pakistan maybe, but I don't recall lush and swampy lands in A-stan.

2- Chechens can fit in ''insurgency'' gamemode, any faction can. It's wheter it's realitic or not. Remember they can build firebases and fortifications of the kind, but at the same time they're are not a conventional fighting force. I do not know what the Devs think, but from what I know, it's not impossible at all.

«Hollywood jackasses who insist on spending seriously huge amounts of money to make films that even my cat won't watch. And he'll happily sit in the bathroom and watch me shit.»
- [R-DEV]Masaq
Closed Thread

Tags
2km, fox, map, map or terrain, scrapped, trap, wip