project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
cat

Default [Map] Blackout [scrapped]

I have started creating a new map

Blackout
1km x 1km

IDF vs Insurgents

This is what I have sofar:

Please note that the small houses are just placed for showing the scale. I have not yet started placing things. The terrain color is not final. I use this clean color for laying out. The climate I am looking for is slightly barren rocky (West Bank area, Libanon). However the map is not based on any real location. I will only use real location reference photos for visual hints.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #2
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP]Blackout

1km is a bit on the small size for PR. But best of luck and cant wait for this to be done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

are you going to make this a night map? ("blackout")

Old 11-23-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Nickbond592
Retired PR Developer

Agreed,
you've shown that your capable of creating a working map for BF2 and with PR bigger maps are alwyas better !

seeing as your at the begining of making a new map why not recreate it on a larger scale at its infancy, 2k maybe ? or 4k

best of luck,
Nick

Smeg: Fuzz commands a lot and promotes good teamwork, db flips vehicles, Bosco is an all-round nub, Outlawz is an SP whore, Nickbond is a friggin ninja and Rhino gets kicked for being a n00b.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

looks like snow lol

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
=Romagnolo=

Send a message via MSN to =Romagnolo=

You are good at mapping, you should try now bigger areas.

[R-DEV]OkitaMakoto:"Cheers, you're the man, Okita"
[R-DEV]Rhino:"I in fact got kicked from a server for tking."
Hitperson:"well done, treasure it forever."
[R-DEV]Adriaan:"Damned classy Roma, if I may say so."
[R-DEV]Chuc:"Pro man, pro."
(yes, it was about me)
[R-MOD]BloodBane611:"Romagnolo, you definitely deserve a LOL award for that."
Old 11-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
cat

Quote:
Agreed,
you've shown that your capable of creating a working map for BF2 and with PR bigger maps are alwyas better !

seeing as your at the begining of making a new map why not recreate it on a larger scale at its infancy, 2k maybe ? or 4k

2km would be a nice idea. However 4km is too much. I have to stay with 1km. Because there is several reasons for that.

- I like smaller area infantry + jeeps combat more. I also think that many players like smaller maps like mestia.

- A 2km map is 4x larger than a 1km map. This leads to long load times and compiling. I have 2gb of ram, however it takes out the fun out of creating maps when you have constantly to wait for the editor to load. And I have to constantly restart it because it crashes often, and lightmapping causes shader errors.

- Detailing a map with many buildings is hard. It gets silly when as on my vista PC, the buildings position/rotation does not change until you release the mouse button. Doing this on a 1km map is slightly annoying however having to stuff a 2km map with angled buildings is not that fun.

So to keep my self away from insanity I would stya with 1km maps.

Quote:
are you going to make this a night map? ("blackout")
No it will be day. Nightmaps have a few problems. Like players can just turn up the monitor brightness, turning the cool looking moonlight into a washed out day. And night vision makes the map look green. And who wants to spend a few hours watching green colors.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
cat

Korengal is 1km. And since it has those very obstructing trees, the combat area fells a lot larger and hides the fact that it is actually a very small map. This proves that a small map can be just as "fun" as a large maps
Old 11-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #9
Raniak

Good luck on your map

I'm curious, where will you put the flags ? I can't really see any good positions on your overhead screenshot.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #10
CodeRedFox
Retired PR Developer

Yeah hills and other high areas will make a 1km feel big. But to do this allot of areas should be impassably or really hard to pass will make the map feel bigger. Its really to early to say anything on your map other then the terrain has a nice natural feel to it.

"apcs, like dogs can't look up" - Dr2B Rudd
Closed Thread

Tags
blackout, map, mapblackout, scrapped