project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
19 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
HughJass

Default Re: [Map]Yibal Oilfields

lowdetailtexture 1

(or something like that)

makes your texture look better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
[R-DEV]Outlawz7
PR:BF2 Developer

I replaced the middle flag with a city area, will post up some pictures when I complete it.
Also the map size is 1024x2, same as Kufrah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
one more thing, try and not make it oil fields. I know it is tempting but we see too much oil fields these days, if you can try vary your map from the others and it will be a killer. other then that good luck.
One part will have oil pumps and I plan on a pipeline or two, but most is desert. Some random oasis could be thrown in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]CAS_117 View Post
Lol, loved the CNC music. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]Terranova7 View Post
I'd say change a few things so that 6 tanks are on a spawn timer, while another four tanks only exist once. I say this because having only 4 tanks respawn could potentially place a team at a severe numerical disadvantage. In the worse case scenario, one team loses all their tanks without fully destroying a single opposing tank. This means they have only 4 tanks to deal with the opposing 10 tanks.
Good point, I threw in 2 APCs for the two crews of the 5th and 6th tank, once they lose their asset.
How about 4 tanks at start with two delayed on spawn? Would give people some time to prepare for the armor tsunami when the extra two spawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [T]Terranova7 View Post
In terms of making the CPs defendable. Make sure to avoid fish bowling them. If anything build the control points on higher elevations, so that approaching tanks are at a disadvantage. Add plenty of cover inside the CPs, such as open warehouses and shacks (If we're going mainly for the industrial look). Create chokepoints and narrow paths that vehicles would be restricted too. A good example is the hilltop estate on fool's road, where any vehicle coming up is pretty much limited to following the road itself.
Had that in mind as well. All CPs are on a plain or far away from a hillside, so any tanks camping up there are in sight of everyone. The hills aren't really big either in case you got scared of the Qinling mountain camping tanks :P
There will be tons of objects inside the CPs to hide in/take cover from shelling, including some buildings, also thinking of the tank hull down positions like on Ejod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughJass View Post
lowdetailtexture 1

(or something like that)

makes your texture look better.
Yes and it also stops people crashing who would play the map on Low settings :P
I know about that one

Quote:
We really need DPV's and AFV's for the official PR map
I threw in the DPV just for testing the map, won't be there in the final not to mention it takes tons of damage from terrain and it blew up 10 seconds after I stopped Frapsing :/

Originally Posted by whatshisname55:
"Ah yes, that link to your hard drive is working perfectly."
Last edited by [R-DEV]Outlawz7; 05-12-2008 at 12:46 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #13
Darktrooper

I was a bit afraid seeing the minimap, it seemed all flat, but the map looks really great on the video. Hills are higher enough, that's perfect...

To limit the 4 vs 10 tanks thing, you can make your four delayed tanks spawn at start, supported by two others that will not respawn. As it, you'll have your 6 tanks at the beginning, but in the worst case, if a team loose all its tanks, you'll have a 4 vs 6 tank battle 15 min laters ... mutch fairer.

And dont forget having 6 tanks already means about 14 people as crewmen / engineers. Even not including APC's crews, you'll have half of your team in armor. That's enough IMO, in every map you'll need at least two full infantry squads.

Also, try not to make your map an Al-Kufrah duplicate. As HughJass said, avoid pipelines, they'll make your map looks like Kufrah. However, I really don't know what kind of other statics are both available in BF2 and matching well in a desert environment, so do as you can. Eventually, no static at all can be great too, look at Kashan. A few oasis here and there, eventually with villages around, may be enough.

Gameplaywise, i dont like the 1-2-1-2-1 organisation. Indeed, it will concentrate all the forces around the central flag, and most of all the armor forces. That means that the middle flag will be as important as infantry-unfriendly, because of the armor concentration.

You can solve this problem elevating the terrain there to give infantry an advantage against tank, but altough i know almost anything about ME, i don't think city there are situated on top of hills. But elevating terrain may make a stronghold of this city, leading to a Sunset-city-like problem, with a central flag really hard to capture back.

Eventually, you can choose a 1-1-3-1-1 repartition, with extreme flags of the central-group tank friendly as google suggested, but i've some doubts about it working with 64 players only on a server.

Another idea, a bit atypical, would be to get rid of the central flag, going back to the 1-1-2-1-1 AAS version. But you should keep the city in the middle, making it a strategic but not vital location. As it, the team who will hold the city will gain a major advantage having a good and protected place to set a firebase and so get unlimited amo, and a stronghold splitting the ennemy forces in two weaker groups.

With that layout, one of the two central flags must be infantry-based (possibility to build a bunker) while the other is tank-friendly (open space). Holding the city will let your forces to move from one flag to the other, reinforcing or assaulting without having to move back to main base, but the battle will not concentrate on the city itself, avoiding the sunset city issue.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
SGT.JOKER

Send a message via AIM to SGT.JOKER

look's good so far, and I like the idea of a small/medium sized city in the middle so grunts like me dont get completely screwed by the tanks

SGT.JOKER>FTW<(Fight To Win) In Game
Just getting back in the game

Riflemen, SAW Gunner, Grenaider.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:00 AM   #15
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

Don't worry I'm not putting in pipelines that lead from one random point on the map to another making no sense, one pipe per line only (3:40 in video)

I'm aware that the minimap doesn't display mountains, that'll be fixed, when I complete the map and do the lightmaps.

Again the vehicles are still a subject to change.

At the moment it would be
x1 commander
x1 pilot
x12 crewmen
x6 engineers
x12 infantry

which adds up to 32 players.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #16
Hfett
PR Mapper Team
PR Server License Administrator

Send a message via MSN to Hfett Send a message via Skype™ to Hfett

Should make it Kashan Sized, since on kufrah is prety easy to cross the map and rape the other team main, so if one team destroy's all the tanks of the other team all that will be left for them is to destroy the ones that will respawn at the enemy mainbase

With a Kashan sized map you could have more tanks(respawnable) for both team, 10x10 tanks on a tank Only map would be awesome and if the map is focused on tanks please dont make cp's where only infantary could go, since it is a pain in the ass to be infantary where everyone have a tank. I only like being infantary on Kashan 16.

Nice work so far =)

Old 05-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #17
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

I'm throwing in tons of base defenses to counter that as well as enough protection from being spawn raped.
Also you can base rape on Kashan, it just takes a while to get to the other main and I like making smaller maps so I can focus on stuff and there's also more action going on.

Don't worry, you will still be able go into the city with a tank, but the chances of getting ambushed increase by 1000%

Another update video coming soon.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
[R-DEV]Outlawz7

Started out one part of the city and a little fishbowl side effect I need to fix.
YouTube Video

Old 05-12-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
hall0

Send a message via ICQ to hall0 Send a message via MSN to hall0

Nice
Old 05-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #20
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Looking good!

Closed Thread

Tags
map, oilfields, scrapped, wip, yibal