project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
17 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
artwie

Default Upgrading PC - What to upgrade for most results?

I'm going to upgrade my PC soonish, budget will be around €200, I'm looking to upgrade my CPU and add 2GB's of ram, although, Instead of buying extra ram I thought a video-card upgrade wouldn't be a bad alternative either.

I currently have;

AMD 64 X2 5200+
GeForce 9500 GT
2 Gigs of ram
a 320W PSU (< Guess it would be useful mentioning)

I have the feeling it's gonna bring more results If I'm gonna buy a 9800GT or higher instead of some more ram, but 'fraid it's gonna top my budget, I don't know what CPU I'm going to buy, as I don't know crap about that.

Want to aim to run PR and Source-engine games on high and smoothly, also games like Company of Heroes etc.

Thanks in advance,
artwie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Bamboo

Default Re: Upgrading PC - What to upgrade for most results?

With what you have, and your budget it is going to be tough. Unless you are sure you are only looking to upgrade for PR and current games. With Bad Company 2 due in 3 months and Medal of Honor next winter, you are probably going to need more of a bump to really enjoy.

That being said, I'm thinking a new gfx. card and a good PSU swap would be your best bet. I know over here in the states I would have no problem finding you a good PSU, gfx card and 2 more gig of ram for $200, but I don't know where you are or what prices are like there.

I recommend you spend the money now to buy a good PSU because no matter what changes gfx. cards and CPUs do in the next few years, and good PSU can last you through many computer upgrades. You buy a crap one now you will be buying another one the next time you want to upgrade or it will burn out and might take your whole system with it.

Find something in the 600+ watts range, like :
OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W
Just as a random example. It is modular, which is a plus, and has a good price.

Then with what is left pick out a good gfx. card, like an ATI 4850, which around here is under $100.

Then you should have enough to pick up 2 more gigs of ram, and stay under $200.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bamboo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
artwie

Is 320W really that low? Is it that to blame for the mediocre performance?

anyway,

2GB's of ram here go around for €50 here
500-600W PSU's go around for €50 here too, but the IT shop where I buy the parts is really cheap, so it might leave me with even more money for the GFX

The card you recommended is about €100 here too, where I looked it up, so I might be able to pull it off really well
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Bamboo

The 320w PSU won't really have much to do with your performance as it is now, though it might be choking your gfx. card. If the card isn't getting enough power, it might downclock itself a bit just to keep going. Otherwise you would be getting crashes. But as far as power supplies go, that is horribly weak.

Just make sure you spend the money and buy a good name brand power supply. One of the biggest mistakes a new builder makes is buying a cheap PSU. See my thread here:
Unofficial PSU Ranking List (What's the best PSU to buy?)
That first post is getting a bit old now, but we have kept it updated some. But still look at the name brands and you should be good. Stuff from seasonic, ocz, antec, corsair (what I run), and a couple others are usually always good bets. If it comes down to spending an extra $20-$30 and choosing between a good PSU and a great PSU, spend the extra money. Might save you from having to buy a completly new one next time you upgrade in a few years, and might save you a ton of hassle trying to track down the kind of weird problems a buggy PSU can cause. They can be the hardest to pin point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
artwie

One last question; My local IT-store didnt sell ATI cards. I instead decided to buy a Nvidia GT260, Is it about on the same level as the ATI 4750 you recommended?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
Bamboo

I actually recommened the 4850, but yeah, the 260 is a great card if you can get it for a good price. Over here they are in the $150 range, but it will run faster than the 4850.

Tags
results, upgrade, upgrading