project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
29 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 01:48 AM   #1
[R-DEV]Adriaan
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Adriaan builds a new PC

After reading many articles and talking with knowledgeable friends I'm finally getting on with searching together all the necessary hardware to build a new rig. It'll be used for gaming (ofcourse), 3D modelling/rendering and working in Photoshop. The OS will be Windows 7 64bit.

Here's the list of potential items so far (prices in euros):
  • Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/Gen3 - 172e
  • CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K Boxed - 200e
  • GPU: Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 GS GLH - 240e
  • RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G - 46e
  • SSD: Samsung 830 series 128GB - 100e
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003, 1TB - 85e
  • PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 - 100e
  • Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced (USB 3.0) - 85e
  • Display: ViewSonic VP2365-LED (?) - 250e

The graphics card I already bought some months ago, everything else can still be changed.
I'm looking for a total of around 1200e or so (including monitor), my budget is reasonably flexible.

On the motherboard, I was going to go for a P8Z68-V PRO, but those don't seem to be as widely available here. The PRO/Gen3 looks like it'd do just fine though.

I was also considering the i5 3570K. It has slightly higher clockspeeds, about 18W less power consumption and only some 10 to 15 euros extra compared to the i5 2500K. Are there any reasons not to go for the 3570K instead?

8GB of RAM should be good I think (Any more seems kind of overkill), I just don't know about the exact chips. Kingston is a reputable brand as far as I know, but there's a bunch of different 4GB strips of which I can't determine which is better or worse apart from the price they are listed with. If any of you have suggestions for better deals or stuff to look out for I'd be happy to hear about it.

I was considering getting a 256GB Samsung 830 series SSD, but at a price of around 195e I'm not sure if I can justify it, so it'll probably be the 128GB one.

Another thing I'd like to hear your opinions on is the PSU. from my guestimates, checking out power consumation of the relevant parts I don't think it'd be much higher than 500-something W. Since having the PSU work at full load all the time isn't too good and having excess power is nice for any future upgrades I was thinking a 700W PSU would be reasonable. Like I said though, these are just guesses from someone who has little experience or knowledge of these things, so if 700W seems too low or too high do let me know.
I'm currently using a headset with closed-back earcups, so although my current PC's fans whizz quite loudly it's not much of a nuisance. Nevertheless I'd prefer the noise levels not to be too high and from what I've been told Cooler Master's Silent Pro series does a good job in that aspect.

My current desktop has a Cooler Master Centurion case, which I've been happy enough with. I've been recommended the CM 690, which looks like an very nice case to me, but I'm open to suggestions. I've seen some cool Antec cases as well.

A main issue is the monitor. I am absolutely unaware of what monitors are a good buy right now, save for having read an article which suggested the monitor I wrote down in the list. I'd prefer something with a bit lower a price though. Another thing is the aesthetic of the monitor itself. I'm mainly worried about the display ofcourse, but since I'm going to be looking at it a lot I'd like it to look nice.

That's about it for now I think. I'll need a mouse, keyboard, maybe a new headset and I think a dvd-drive and what not later on too, but this seems like a good start. Any advice, critics and suggestions are appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Adriaan; 06-14-2012 at 02:29 AM..
Old 06-15-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
mangeface
Supporting Member

Default Re: Adriaan builds a new PC

Agree on getting the 128GB SSD. They're the best bang for the buck when it comes to price/capacity ratio. Just look around other thread and litoralis will have copious amounts of posts on how to manage an SSD (like don't take over 85% capacity and other things). But 128GB will give you plenty of room to install OS and maybe a game or 2 depending on size and addons.

I like the Cooler Master cases. I have a HAF 932 and just looking at the price comparisons to other brands across the board, they offer more.

The i5-3570K will heat up more when OCing compared to the i5-2500K, so that's one thing to pay attention to. But it should be pretty killer also. I've got the i5-2500K running on an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and it's a great board. I got mine as an open box deal for $150 off Newegg compared to it's normal price, so watch for some deals.

700W should be fine on the PSU. Mine computer only uses about 600-700W and I have a 1000W PSU (because I will Crossfire in the future so I wanted to just futureproof for that).

I'm not really sure on monitors, but I use an ASUS and it's performance is remarkable. I also hear that Samsung and Dell also make amazing monitors, although I think that Samsung would be easier to acquire overseas. Here's a link the exact one I use. It's $200, so more around 160 Euros.
Newegg.com - Asus VE248H Black 24" 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 10,000,000:1

A DVD drive isn't too big of a deal unless you want to watch BluRay on your desktop. I also futureproofed mine by getting an ASUS BluRay disc drive, so all I have to do is get a program to play them. The OEM one's aren't too bad on price, about $50 and it wasn't a bad investment to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-USMC, that is

mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
Beee8190
Supporting Member

You could easily get away with lot cheaper motherboard and hardly loose any extras. If you're not going to SLI /CF, boards with 1 PCE-E 16 lanes, USB 3 and decent power phasing is all 90% of us will ever need.

CPU - The 3570K does run bit hotter, especialy OC'ed but unless you aim for 4.5Ghz (usless unless benchmarking IMO anyways) temps arent such concern. Single threaded performance is better with Ivy bridge and it scores bit better overall than 2500K. IB has build in native support for USB3 however + 3D transistors etc...I'd go for latest but its not worth it to thinker about it too much. I'm saying either of those are good enough.

RAM - Since price difference is almost negliable btw 1600Mhz and 1886Mhz. Get 1886Mhz, be it corsair, g-skill or whatever.

SSD - the 830 is nice, at least according to reviews and such and I'll be getting one or crucial M4 soon myself.

HDD - segate cut the warranty down to one year compare to WD. Now the WD will be tiny few pounds more but worth 2 years warranty over 1 year.

(piss off seagate huh) [(did spoilers got removed??)]

PSU - Quality 550-600W PSU should be more than enough and as for future proofing, there will be HW which uses less and less power so again, some 600W will serve well enough.
Be quiete!, XFX, corsair, seasonic etc.. all make good PSU's.

Display - After coming from LCD to ISP panels, I will not expect anything less than ISP again. Well worth it, the viewing angles, white is white and not grey-ish, great contrast etc..
Yourr another option might be ISP panel with 120Hz refresh rate, even though you might never game in 3D.
Beee8190 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

Update on this one:

Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Gen3
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed
GPU: Gainward Nvidia GeForce GTX 670 Phantom II

Awesome new stuff

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 AM   #5
Daniel

He needs a 670 in your opinion? xD o_O xD
I got 570 as well, SUPER happy!

Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Q2M100

Helpful tips when building a new computer:

Make sure that every part you buy has some sort of sale/discount/deal. If not, look for a similar product that has one. You will save a lot of money this way.

Quality over quantity. Don't get a massive PSU if it's a crappy PSU.

BATTLE US!:

Q2M100 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

Other people will chime in with the i5 25X0k vs i5 3570k options.

I want to point out that the RAM you selected is NOT for moderate air cooled overclocking.
you chose: RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G - 46e
That will give you more hours of headaches and cost you more time and lost wages than the 10 or 20 Euros you think you saved buying Kingstons ValueRAM.

If you have no intention to EVER overclock the CPU, you can choose the RAM: Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G - 46e . However, you might as well buy the non "K" version of the i5 processor you want and save the extra money, and buy a cheaper motherboard that doesn't overclock to save more money.

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 06-18-2012 at 07:42 PM..

Tags
adriaan, builds