project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
23 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #61
Heskey
PR Server License Moderator

Default Re: Building a new gaming PC

Hi guys, sorry for slow response I've been rather busy at work. Just off to the mrs' now, but been having a look at your responses and trying to fix some things quick.

In relation to the buzzer noises, I think they're related to the "CPU Fan Error!"
In relation to the LED_BOOT_DEVICE, as this goes off once I've passed the bios screens I think this is normal; the light turns off once a boot device (SSD) has been engaged and begins to load.

Thanks for the TB explanations as well. =]

LITOralis, my CPU fan has a 4 pin connector, and is plugged into a 4-pin bay titled "CPU_FAN", next to one called "CPU_OPT".

I have tried to lower the CPU fan warning in the bios to 200rpm but this still brings up the error; the only way of removing this error that I can see at the moment is to disable the warnings completely - I don't want to do this as I hear what you're saying about burning out hardware. There must be a way.

Lastly, there is no 'profile switch' for the RAM, although 2 profiles are listed in the TOOL > ASUS SPD Info menu. When I change the DRAM settings in one of the tabs from DDR3-1333MHz to DDR3-1600MHz, the computer reboots itself a few times and returns to BIOS saying it's DDR3-1353MHz.

My GFX card still hasn't arrived yet (was supposed to be here Friday), so don't know where that's gone - but in the meantime I need to get this fan and ram issue sorted so I can begin overclocking.

Any and all help appreciated. It's was quite theraputic for the first 2 weeks to be tinkering around with a new PC for the first time - but it's dragging on now and I just want to get it up and running = /

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(Signature by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:45 AM   #62
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

Alright - here is how you fix your RAM. It supports XMP profiles if I am correct.

Go to BIOS -> Ai Tweaker Menu -> Find Ai Overclocking Tuner and set it to X.M.P. and then you can chose two built in profiles created by manufacturer which you can use. One of them sets it to correct frequency.

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #63
Heskey

Thanks Cossack, think I was just tired when I was fiddling around some more last night, kept dropping off.

I think it's done now - I'll report back if I have any instability issues with it.

Now I just really need to sort this fan issue out. The RPM jumps between 1007RPM to 59000RPM, and sometimes on loading it just reads 'N/A'. Core temp is fine, and the fan is spinning normally to my naked eye. Setting the CPU Fan Lower RPM Warning below 700/600/500/400/200 doesn't resolve the issue; only disabling the warning all together makes my PC skip the bios error.

I've installed SpeedFan and here's the readings:

HD0: 23C
HD1: 27C
Temp1: 28C
Temp2: 30C
Core 0: 8C
Core 1: 13C
Core 2: 12C
Core 3: 4C

When I go into Fan settings, there's no fan to 'Select to change its settings'.

Interesting thread on the issue which suggests Q-FAN settings on ASUS motherboards with 3rd party CPU fans is a widespread issue. The issue of 3 pin connectors and 4 pin bays keeps cropping up, but mine is 4 pin/4 pin.

I've set my EZ Mode default setting to ASUS Turbo, overclocked my RAM to XMP Profile #1, and disabled Q-FAN. Sometimes the bios readings jump as previously reported, over times they stay around the 1800-2000rpm level.

On restarting once already I've had an F1 Error where 'Overclocking has failed, please re-enter BIOS and re-configure your settings' but hopefully that was just a one off.

I'm going to start transferring documents over to my new PC now, ready to install my new GFX card when it arrives (until then I may do without; or seeing as I've got the next 2 days off whilst waiting, I might put in my ATI HD 5850 from my old PC.

(Signature by
)
Last edited by Heskey; 08-01-2012 at 05:59 AM..
Old 08-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #64
Cossack112
PR:BF2 Deputy Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cossack112

Well, one more way out is 3rd party fan controller. For my PC I have Zalman
ZM-MFC2 Fan controller
and all fans are hooked up with it.

Cossack112 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #65
Heskey

Hi guys,

Well the graphics card finally arrived (had to order a free replacement from Amazon as the first one disappeared in the nether).

I've just installed it and am about to test it out before I start zip-cabling up my PC to make it nice and neat.

It's a doozy, a big bugger; so I've put it in the 2nd PCI-E slot so air-flow from the large front intake case fan can make it through to the rest of the MOBO instead of being wall-blocked by the GPU.

I'm about to try it out, but I'm slightly concerned about the noises the fans on it are making... It's spinning fine, the temperature's fine, and functionally I'm sure it'll be fine, but it sounds like the fans are vibrating on something and it's a very distinct 'wom wom wom wom wom wom' like when your CD drive is working its backside off.

Could be the power cables pressing against the wall of the case, and I'll have to investigate; but any in-sight ideas in the meanwhile?

Don't have much time each day to work on my PC this week due to working awkward shifts.

(Signature by
)
Heskey is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #66
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heskey View Post
It's a doozy, a big bugger
Haha, they're all pretty big for the most part. Hope all installs well and you get many amazing hours of gaming with the new rig.

<-USMC, that is

mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #67
Nikhil22
Banned

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Motherboard
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8