project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
24 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #11
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: OCZ Agility 3

OS on SSD is worth it from what I've seen. I have a 120gb SSD and I have installed OS, PS, 3DsMax, BF2 (+editor) on it and ARMA2 are my main things. If you do any modding, BF2 Editor is well worth installing on it, loads up in a split second but then saving loads of maps to it gets a bit of a problem but still worth the load times IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
OS on SSD is worth it from what I've seen.
I agree. The boot up time is silly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-USMC, that is

mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #13
Daniel

NOT if u use the sleep mode (boots faster) and start up ur PC normal every 3rd time for example...

btw WHAT is loading-time-example for an average (or whatever, superslow or superfast, just mention it) SSD on BF2 PR (settings to max.) ???

Daniel is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Faster boot and snappier system in general. Applications installed on SSD along wit system will work much better/respond/open faster. Not sure if having a system and games on it will do you any good though. Especially Arma2. Try it if you want, its your call, cant know if you dont try right?

And 120GB with system and games on it might become very small in time. If you use a lot of addons for Arma2 you know what Im saying.

E: Ninja's :S

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
btw WHAT is loading-time-example for an average (or whatever, superslow or superfast, just mention it) SSD on BF2 PR (settings to max.) ???
My SSD is much slower than it was after all the punishment I've given constantly filling it up full but I can still get from pushing the shortcut on the desktop, to the join game button in 1min 10secs for my Falklands map

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #16
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
My SSD is much slower than it was after all the punishment I've given constantly filling it up full but I can still get from pushing the shortcut on the desktop, to the join game button in 1min 10secs for my Falklands map
Well, there's no comparing for me...

Daniel is online now Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
PricelineNegotiator

So the drive is due to arrive any day now, I am wondering if I should do one of the following (keep in mind that as of October I will be getting Windows 8, which I would like to clean format):

Install on the SSD Windows 8 Consumer Preview and dual boot both my Windows 7 and 8 from separate drives.

Install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on the SSD and clean format my WD Raptor (clean start over).

Install Windows 7 and clean start over.

Install just games and applications on the SSD and leave my partition of Windows 7 on the Raptor.

So many options, what do you think will offer me the greatest gain?
PricelineNegotiator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

You dont want Windows 8 really. Its a waste of time and resources. I tried it, and its Win7 under shell with no start button, and other things. Explorer a bit refurbished and most of components for system control hidden. Stick with 7 Id say. If you want to try and see go ahead, but dont make this one your primary system, as I'm sure you'll be disappointed as I was.

Any special reason for doing reformat of Win7? If not keep it where it is and just add SSD and reinstall games on it. You can also move your system to it without reinstalling but is a tricky to do.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #19
PricelineNegotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
You dont want Windows 8 really. Its a waste of time and resources. I tried it, and its Win7 under shell with no start button, and other things. Explorer a bit refurbished and most of components for system control hidden. Stick with 7 Id say. If you want to try and see go ahead, but dont make this one your primary system, as I'm sure you'll be disappointed as I was.

Any special reason for doing reformat of Win7? If not keep it where it is and just add SSD and reinstall games on it. You can also move your system to it without reinstalling but is a tricky to do.
Hm, well I guess at first I'll only install games on the SSD and then when the Window 8 Release Candidate or "Release Preview" comes out in the first week of June, I might jump on that and format if it proves to be worthwhile. Only time will tell, though.
PricelineNegotiator is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #20
Q2M100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
NOT if u use the sleep mode (boots faster) and start up ur PC normal every 3rd time for example...
Daniel, doesn't sleep mode consume power still? I heard hibernate was the way to go.

I still power off my computer. If there is one thing PR has taught me, it is patience.

BATTLE US!:

Q2M100 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
agility, ocz