project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
22 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
=ESF=Mercy300

Default Re: Can I run Arma 2

The new AMD CPUs aren't optimized to play most games cause it's new and six cores is better then four especially when there is a hunder dollars differnce from the amd fx 6100 and intel i5 2500k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free syria from Assads oppresion of his own people!
=ESF=Mercy300 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #22
[R-COM]rushn
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by =ESF=Mercy300 View Post
The new AMD CPUs aren't optimized to play most games cause it's new and six cores is better then four especially when there is a hunder dollars differnce from the amd fx 6100 and intel i5 2500k
6 cores is not necessarily better than 4 it depends if the programs can use all six and how much cache is accessible to each core

Arma III is being developed to use 6 coresfor example but other programs are not so you will see a difference in playing Arma III

I personally would go with AMD since their prices are cheap and the performance hit is not very big
[R-COM]rushn is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #23
Atkinson

I am confused, did you even check those benchmarks? Heck even a i3 beats almost all AMD's old and new cpus.
AMD FX-8150 costs more than 2500k, and even OCed it loses 20% to _stock_ 2500k. No matter how little the other AMD cpus costs I just can't justify buying them for gaming, especially for Arma2. Those graphs that i posted speak for themselves. Let me point out once more that even 2500k has to be OCed to get most out of Arma2. If on the other hand you are buying a rig for Arma3 then wait till it is rlsed and make your choices then but the topic was bout "Can I run Arma2", right? I speak from experience, go intel in this case. You won't regret. I can't say the same about Phenom II's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Atkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #24
=ESF=Mercy300

As rushn said Arma 3 will use six cores so an AMD six core procceser will be probably better then an i7 2600k and as I said intel is better now cause games are more optimized to play it. If you see the specs of and i7 vs an amd fx 8150 it's almost the same. Intels sandybridge artitechture is diffrent then bulldozers/Zambezi artitechture and bulldozer/Zambezi is newer so give them time and you'll see more games using six or eight core cpus. IMO I still think AMD is better cause its price to performance ratio, even though and i5 is better but not in the future.

Edit: I'm also thinking of the future cause I dont want to get a new cpu for years to come.

Edit1: Compare the differance of amd fx 8150 and i7 2600k http://www.knowbytes.com/home/articl...us-amd-fx-8150

Last edited by MaSSive; 04-17-2012 at 01:02 AM.. Reason: tripple chain post
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

The IvyBridge CPUs for the 1155 architecture will be released to public on 29 April in the USA.

Not a huge improvement for gamers, it mostly will be much better integrated graphics, which you won't use, and a small incremental improvement in CPU speed.

BUT, the price of SandyBridge is dropping as retailers clear out inventory for the new releases.

IMHO I'd go with the Intel SandyBridge and Z68 if you are building soon. The Zambezi/Bulldozer architecture is so screwed up it probably will never run at the theoretical optimal speed that AMD promised just before product launch.

That the Phenom II's are still outperforming the Bulldozers , and have higher OC potential, is possibly the last nail in the coffin for AMD as a high end CPU design Corporation.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
Pedz
Supporting Member

There is one major rule about PC hardware:

You cannot directly compare two different manufacturers hardware... They use completely different design techniques, different architectures. You may only see in practice how they perform, then compare that. Hard numbers can be used to compare two products in the same line, E.g, an AMD 8150 and 8120

Also the i7-2600k runs 8 threads. Therefore, it should perform better in Arma 3. The AMD will probably trump the i5 as that has only 4 threads, compared to the AMD's 8.

But again, the i7 will outperform the AMD due to a generally better design. I admire AMD's attempts to shake up the design, but using only one FPU per 2 'modules', but in terms of real life performance, they lack behind Intel and its massive budget / influence over most of the computing world.

However I am only going by reviews, but then again that's all we'll have to go by in terms of performance.
Benchmark Results: Skyrim And StarCraft II : AMD's FX-8150 After Two Windows 7 Hotfixes And UEFI Updates

Benchmark Results: F1 2011 : AMD Bulldozer Review: FX-8150 Gets Tested

AMD FX-8150 review: Benchmarks | from TechRadar's expert reviews of Processors

(In the last review, you can see the X264 encoding test, which runs ALL cores/threads, and the i7 performs slightly better there at stock, but shows it outperforms the i5 if all cores are utilised, showing a small insight into Arma 3 possible performance).

But looking back through the thread here, you're going for a completely different league of processor, so the 6100's price changes the pictures slightly.

Also take a closer look at the differences between the 6100 and 6200...
You will see they use different Core architectures(Zambezi and Orochi, although not sure about that one), but they definitely use different max Wattage (Important if you ever think about OCing)

Also I may be slightly Biased towards the i7 :P, I do own one currently, but I try to be factual in my findings as reviews show... Also studying Micro-architecture currently, and looking at processor/cache designs(although only ARM atm).
But have to report my i7 performs brilliantly, and is generally bottlenecked by my GPU's (which are 2x OC'd 570GTX's, so if the i7 beats them, then it's still got some life behind it for sure!)

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
=ESF=Mercy300

And how do you like your i7? Does it lag in multitasking and is the intergrated graphic card enough to run a game like arma 2 on medium/high. The i7 has 8 threads and 4 actual cores, but the 8150 has eight actual cores but I dont think that Bulldozer is really optimized to use idk do you think so? Btw what do you think will last longer(years) an 8150 or an i7 2600k or an i5 2500k and what do you think price to performance is better does intel use your money wisley I mean in performance or does amd do that?

E: The reason why I'm a little hesitant about intel is cause I think it will get old in a few years as in the 8150 is eight core and it will last longer?

E1: And if I decided to get an ivybridge cpu would it be a waste of money?

E2: If I decided to get an i7 I will have to get a cheap but nice looking case that has enough cooling and wire management

E3: DANMMMM I could get the i7 2600k without a video card, optical drive and harddrive for 621 after rebate here is the specs
mobo:Newegg.com - MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
case(Finally found a case that looks sexy, has cable management and is spacious:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
memory:Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
And of course the i7 2600k ;Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

But one qustion is the intel3000 hd graphic card enough to play arma 3/bf3/ and arma 2? or should I get a gtx 550 ti instead?

*edit note* - there is edit button on posts use that next time please do not make multiple chain posts /MaSSive

Last edited by MaSSive; 04-17-2012 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: quad chain psoting ftl
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #28
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester

the intel 3000 hd graphic card is not a gaming card. It is about equal to a NVidia GT 310M , which is a home office class mobile GPU.

It's equivalent to a US$25 desktop video card. It's not going to get you were you want to be.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 AM   #29
Atkinson

Buying a CPU with the expectation that *it will perform better in the future* is wishful thinking and not a wise decision.

I do not like it that AMD drags behind so much Intel and I hope AMD will come up with something more useful for games cos that will create more competition and keep prices down but atm I just can't see any reason to buy AMD for high end gaming (like Arma2 which is basically a simulator).

If you are planning to buy a rig for Arma3, I suggest you wait till it is released and then make your choices. If Arma3 is anything like Arma2 then the cpu that will eventually run it smoothly will be released in 2014.

If however you are buying a rig now for Arma2 like the topic name suggests then you have to go for Intel. There is no way around this. Not a single AMD cpu atm can run Arma2 nearly as good as Intel ones do.
I am not saying this cos of some fanboy mentality. I am saying this cos of experience. + the benchmarks that I provided earlier.

As for the GPUs, you are aiming way too low. Those GPUs that you mention will never ever run Arma2 smoothly and you can forget bumping up settings. Arma3 will probably eat those GPUs alive and poop them out from the back of your case.

Don't take this as an insult but I think we are seeing a Dunning–Kruger effect here in action.

Atkinson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #30
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

First you said you want to upgrade this PC you have, which is very old and might work as office machine, not gaming PC.

Quote:

And I told you this

Quote:
Quote:
Socket type: AM2
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
  • Athlon 64 up to 3800+
  • Athlon 64 X2 with Dual Core technology up to 4800+ (up to 65 watt TDP)
  • Sempron - All

Even if you get dual core AMD Athlon 4800+ it wont make any big difference for Arma.

Purchasing powerful graphic card while having a weak CPU also wont take you anywhere, since it will bottleneck. Your CPU will be on max load while your GPU will not, and it will cause FPS drops and stuttering.

Getting another 2GB of DDR2 is a good decision, it will help you play PR:BF2, and in general upgrading GPU will help PR:BF2 wise.

http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f449...uirements.html

You will able to play Arma2, but the question is will it be playable or slideshow. You got the point I guess.
I pretty much answered your question there staight about upgrading this PC.

You also said

Quote:
Sry for the delayed response, @litoris thanks for the info @ mange my budget is 90-150 dollars @ Massive my shitty laptop can play arma 2 on low with 15-30 fps and its way lower then the this upgrade.
With budget of $90-$150 you cant do much, but you could get additional 2GB of DDr2-800 RAM, and some better GPU.

Still that will not run Arma2 @30Fps, maybe in low resolution and low settings. Can you show me which laptop is that? One that can run it @30FPS, the shitty one?

Then you said

Quote:
My budget got bigger now six hundred to seven hundred dollars. I need some help choosing my parts for my custom build. I will use this computer for senior year and gaming and I want some help. Do you think an amd fx 6200 plus a gtx 550 ti with amd performance ram 8gb dd3 or a Intel i7 2600k and I will buy a graphic card later or is a Intel i7 a waste of money?
So now you budget is $600-$700 and you want to build a FX6200 / i72600k along with gtx550ti based PC? Hardly. i7 2600k costs more than half of your budget and gtx550ti costs additional $150, so count in mainboard, memory, hard drives, case, power supply...??? No go I'm afraid.

And then you want this

Quote:
And how do you like your i7? Does it lag in multitasking and is the intergrated graphic card enough to run a game like arma 2 on medium/high. The i7 has 8 threads and 4 actual cores, but the 8150 has eight actual cores but I dont think that Bulldozer is really optimized to use idk do you think so? Btw what do you think will last longer(years) an 8150 or an i7 2600k or an i5 2500k and what do you think price to performance is better does intel use your money wisley I mean in performance or does amd do that?

E: The reason why I'm a little hesitant about intel is cause I think it will get old in a few years as in the 8150 is eight core and it will last longer?

E1: And if I decided to get an ivybridge cpu would it be a waste of money?

E2: If I decided to get an i7 I will have to get a cheap but nice looking case that has enough cooling and wire management

E3: DANMMMM I could get the i7 2600k without a video card, optical drive and harddrive for 621 after rebate here is the specs
mobo:Newegg.com - MSI P67A-G45 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
case(Finally found a case that looks sexy, has cable management and is spacious:Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
memory:Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
And of course the i7 2600k ;Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K

But one qustion is the intel3000 hd graphic card enough to play arma 3/bf3/ and arma 2? or should I get a gtx 550 ti instead?

So lets see what you got here.

CPU - Intel Core i7-2600K - $320
Mobo - MSI P67A-G45 - $140
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB - $42
CASE- COOLER MASTER HAF 912 - $60

Totaling = $561

You are still missing power supply which will cost you around $100, and a graphic card. I assume you can use your old HDD and optical drives but HAF 912 does not come with PSU, and your current PSU is not compatible with this build if you were thinking to reuse it.

Intel HD3000 is low end graphic intended for average user not for gaming. So surfing web, watching movies etc is ok, gaming on it, I wish you best of luck, but as I said it wont work right.

From my POV since you said you can invest 600-700$, you can get a i5 2500k and save $100, which you can invest in good PSU, so youre back on total above, and then you can get a HD6870 and be happy new few years.

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K - $220
PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply - $90
GPU - Newegg.com - XFX Double D HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - $190

Total = $500 and from total above remove cpu 561 - 320 = $241 + $500 = $741

And you're slightly over your budget, and you're getting a high end PC, and possibly you can find better deals and after rebates and such youre going to be in that $700.

i7 is not better in gaming over i5 at any point. i7 is for professionals working with multimedia applications which can actually use its processing power. Arma2 and BF2 and BF3 cant.

If I was you Id follow this advice, or if you want to go even cheaper you can go with AMD based PC, which will not perform as this one, but you can get a better GPU and upgrade your processor later when you get more cash.

CATA4TW!
Last edited by MaSSive; 04-17-2012 at 01:57 AM..

Tags
arma, run