project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
18 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Akai Kitsune
Default My brother Psyko told me to inquire about some "knomes". Think he meant gnomes> _>

Howdy; I've never registered on a forum before, but due to my suffering from a severe bout of dumbass syndrome regarding computer specs and their general workings, I've been forced to do just that. I hope the internet is proud of itself. Anyway, I've kind of got my heart set on a Radeon HD 6950 graphics card, but that's about all I've got my heart set on. I've tried surfing around, looking up prices and seeing what looked reasonable, but due to the sheer level of spam and advertisements dripping with prime colours and a small library's worth of information on each and every page of each and every pc selling website I come across, it's a little tricky to figure out who to trust. So my question is as thus: where the hell do I start?
Akai Kitsune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
SnipingCoward
Default Re: My brother Psyko told me to inquire about some "knomes". Think he meant gnomes> _

Start off by telling us exactly what you want.

Are you trying to find where to buy this card?

Got a PROBLEM? Check this: PR:BF2 Installation Guide

Got a common QUESTION? check here first: PR:BF2 FAQ, MUMBLE FAQ

"Hello, IT! ... Yes, have you tried turning it on and off again?"
SnipingCoward is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Supporting Member
Default Re: My brother Psyko told me to inquire about some "knomes". Think he meant gnomes> _

1. your bro is killing me here.
You trying to buy a laptop or a desktop? Pysko was asking for help on a laptop earlier this month.

6950 is quite nice, will be good for long time.
If not overclocking, any 6950 will do.

For laptop GPUS, use this list:
Mobile Graphics Cards - Benchmark List - Notebookcheck.net Tech

FOr desktop GPUs, use this site:
http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php
The list of 6950's shows the clock speeds of the various models available, you pay for your speed, so find something that fits your price range.

[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Psyko

I lol'd
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Akai Kitsune

Took me a minute to figure out how to send another message, but it's okay now. I figured it out-feel like a pc wizard using this forum... now; what's a GPU? I looked around and found the aforementioned card, and a lot of options for buying it... the cheapest I came across was about one sixty something dollars, but it's XFX, I believe; either way I read up on the different companies and got bad feedback for XFX, but will it really matter? I don't see myself overclocking since I don't know the first thing about overclocking. I just balance the options and in the oddest scenarios tweak the ini files. Okay, now I'm going to finish this arseways comment by writing the first thing I should have written: I'm looking for a gaming desktop for about 600-700 euro ($796-92 roughly. Basically I've been using a slimline business pc for gaming for about a year now in spite of the fact that I live off of it - .- it's got a Nvidia 310 chip and that's probably the best of it's hardware... couldn't believe I was able to run Oblivion on it
Old 03-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Akai Kitsune

that's 920 then a bracket btw. Damn autoemotes get me every time.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Wicca
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

There is an edit button i think. But thats allright

The GPU is the graphical Proccesor Unit. Put simply, if your Graphic card has 2 gb of VRAM. It doesnt really matter, all that matters is if the CPUs clock speed is higher than say 700mhz. As the issue is that reloading stored textures takes time, and that time is spent loading the textures from your VRAM onto your GPU.

So, the faster the GPU. The higher FPS to some degree, it also depends on your CPU.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is online now Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
Akai Kitsune

I see, I think. So if the VRAM is filling up faster than the computer can process it, there's no difference between 1 gig and 2? I was shooting for a 1 gig card; frankly I'd prefer to get 6 month old technology than pay double, if you know what I mean.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
MaSSive

Processor - Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K = $220

Mainboard - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard = $210

Graphic card - Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100315L Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity = $150

Memory - Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B = $50

Hard disk - Newegg.com - Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive = $150

SSD - Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) = $160 optional

Case - Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Elite 430 RC-430-KWN1 Black Steel / Plastic Computer Case = $50

__________________________________________________ ______________

Total = 830 + 160 SSD = $990

If you can find by similar or lower prices these components in Ireland Id suggest it. If Lito has and objection or anyone else Id love to hear it.

PS: This is roughly high end config. If you want to go cheaper we can go with AMD based config.

PPS: If you have any parts of old PC that you can throw into this one, such as hard disks, dvd drives/burners, memory cooling solutions..etc...you can save even more on this one.

Edit: Even better deal would be 6870

Graphic card 1
- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814131378 = $160

If you compare 6850 and 6870 you can see here http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=635&card2=636 that 6870 is has a bit more hp for just $10 more.

Also I failed to include power supply to all this.

Power supply - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139020 = $90

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

So total would be 830 + 90 = $920 or + $160 (SSD) = $1060 + $10 ( 6870 ) = $1070

Any combination you like, but Id go with 6870 rather than 6850. In that case without SSD it costs you $930

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Last edited by MaSSive; 03-25-2012 at 12:05 AM..
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
Akai Kitsune

Lol, for a moment there I was a bit shocked by the price, but then I remembered it was in Dorrals <(me being japanese) I recognise the case as well; you're the guy who designed my bro's pc I take it. Alright, first, why would I go with a 6850 instead of a 6950? Are they similar in power? Memory's a lot cheaper than I thought it'd be. I don't know motherboards, processors or SSDs from a mole's asshole though; so the big question is, just how powerful would a machine like that be? Oh, and a very important note is that, once again, I'm a bona-fide turkey ass when it comes to computers, so I won't be able to construct this beast myself. How much would it cost to get it whipped together?

Tags
>, brother, gnomes>, inquire, knomes, meant, psyko, told