project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
JackAttack91

Default [Solved] Need help troubleshooting new build

OK ive assembled a computer and have run into a brick wall here

Here's the general specs:
Sabertooth 990FX mobo
AMD FX-6100 cpu
2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw RAM
Galaxy Nvidia geforce 560 gtx
Western Digital 7200 rpm 32mb cache hd
750 watt Antec psu

After I first put all the parts together, it worked for about a day. However, not long after I installed the OS, I started getting random shutdowns without blue screens. Later on I started to get more and more blue screens, especially when running games... Finally I open an internet browser, the computer bluescreens and shuts down.

So I restart the computer and the fans turn on, but the monitor gets no signal. No POST beeps either. The keyboard and mouse also receive no signal (no LEDs light up). My immediate inclination was to reseat the video card, but it was to no avail. I noticed that the red light near the MemOk switch was solid red. I tried reslotting the RAM several times in all different combinations using the MemOK switch, even trying an old stick of Patriot RAM but nothing worked. After that, I assumed it was a motherboard problem so I RMA'd the mobo and got a replacement. Unfortunately, the replacement motherboard has the same problem - the red light still there, taunting me, laughing at my failures.

I tried the video card on another computer and it works. I replaced the Antec 750w with a working Antec 650w, and also no results, I've tried using a different monitor, I've tried using a different power chord. I feel like my only option left is to try some more RAM sticks, but before I go through the hassle I would like some input as to what the root of this problem may be.

Hopefully there is something really obvious that I missed, but right now I'm at a loss at what I can do.

NULLI CEDE
Last edited by JackAttack91; 01-13-2012 at 01:19 AM..
Old 01-13-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester
Default re: [Solved] Need help troubleshooting new build

A BIOS update was released for your mobo this week.
The link below is the best I've seen online regarding the instability of your mobo. Long thread, you'll need to read through quite a bit.
I almost bought this mobo and a FX-8120 last week, but held off until the FX mobos are fixed so I can play Shogun 2.

I'm not sure if the BIOS is in beta or final...
Source of info:
Games crash at splash screen with 8120. - [H]ard|Forum
Link to BIOS:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...-ASUS-0901.zip

The other comprehensive thread for your mobo, again lots of problems reported:
[Official] ASUS sabertooth 990FX Owners Club

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 01-13-2012 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

A quick thing, remove the CPU and check for bent pins,

another WAG, if you used conductive thermal compound, make sure it's not in the pins. nearly a random guess.

you're going to need to read through those threads on HardForum and overclock.net to find info...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Th3Exiled

Sounds like a faulty Hard drive to me. Seeing as how you've got a second computer handy I'd say try the hard drive out of your new computer in the old computer; do not put the hard drive from the old computer into the new one in case there is some instability that causes your hard drive to become corrupt.

Start up the old computer with the hard drive from the new computer, if windows continues to blue screen on the old computer then the problem lies with the hard drive. However, this doesn't mean the hard drive is just a dud, your computer may have been unstable and corrupted the OS.
You haven't mentioned whether you've tried to reinstall windows at all. If you haven't reinstalled it since you got the replacement motherboard, reinstall it now but don't move it to the new computer yet. The old motherboard may have still been defective and caused the hard drive to become corrupt, if you haven't reinstalled windows since then this may be the problem. For now we shall try to rule out the hard drive.
Once windows is installed, quickest way to figure out whether the hard drive is faulty would probably be to run some hard drive diagnostic programs. I personally have seatools for windows installed on my computer, though I haven't used it much personally. You can download it from here. Run this program, or similar, on your hard drive. If it completes successfully we shall assume that it is not the hard drive.

If there doesn't appear to be any problems with the hard drive install a program called prime 95 then move it back into the new computer. Once it is in the new computer open prime 95, a box will pop up that gives the options "join gimps" or "just stress testing" select stress testing. Now select the torture test option and let it run for at least 2 hours. If it doesn't crash within that time period then it seems that the motherboard may have been the problem.
If the computer does crash let us know and hopefully I'll be able to give further instructions.

Exiled.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #5
JackAttack91

I don't think it's the hard drive. I've tried turning the computer on without the hard drive even plugged in to the psu or motherboard and still didn't even get any signal input on the monitor. I think if it were a hdd problem, I would at least get vga input and a bios splash screen.

I checked the cpu pins and theyre all good, no bending or thermal paste.

Thanks for the links to the info on the bios. I'll definitely try my luck at the sabertooth forums if I cant get this thing working today. The thing that gets me is that this ram was on the list of qualified vendors in the asus manual, but I guess thats not necessarily an indicator that it'll work.

Does anybody know of some ram that is for sure compatible with this board, as in someone else is using it without any problems?

NULLI CEDE
Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Hi Jack,
I was reading those links above, your mobo has lots of overclocking options and is VERY picky about the quality and consistency of the 12V rail power coming from the PSU to the 24 pin mobo connector.

ON the [Official] ASUS sabertooth 990FX Owners Club link on page 160ish, other people have had your same problem in the last two weeks... never a good sign. Some resolved it by simply removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button repeatedly to drain the juice from the system. Get this, some guy bought a mobo in last 3 weeks that came with a dead CMOS battery. Might have to check that too.

Other people were able to update bios by installing older (non FX) CPUs and doing the USB thumbdrive method of BIOS updating.

That's all I got, good luck.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Quote:
I have been telling everyone about this because it caused me some frustration at first, All you guys have likely figured it out by now, but for those who are just now getting the board, this should help you get up and running without frustration.

If you are not running ECC ram, you have to disable the feature, which by default is enabled in the BIOS.

Here is how.
[Official] ASUS sabertooth 990FX Owners Club

Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Your problem is BIOS definitely. I was looking at asus.com about your mainboard initial bios version and I see that it is 0402 while version where your cpu is added to support is 0813, which is three releases newer.

FX-6100(FD6100WMW6KGU),3.3GHz,6C,95W,rev.B2G,AM3+ ALL 0813

What you need to do now is to insert an older cpu which is supported by bios and flash it to newer stable version. If you think you cant do it yourself or you dont have older processor take it nearest service shop and explain the problem.

Always check if your cpu is supported by your mainboard before buying it.

CATA4TW!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
JackAttack91

Good news everyone - I bought some kingston ram and it works fine. I realize now that I may have had the ram incorrectly seated the whole time because I'm used to DDR2 from my old machine, but whats done is done.

NULLI CEDE
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #10
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAttack91 View Post
Good news everyone - I bought some kingston ram and it works fine. I realize now that I may have had the ram incorrectly seated the whole time because I'm used to DDR2 from my old machine, but whats done is done.
So you inserted RAM stick wrong and fried it? Oh youre lucky board didnt get fried.

If you solved this Im going to lock it.

CATA4TW!
Closed Thread

Tags
build, solved, troubleshooting