project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2009
16 Dec 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #121
mp5punk
Banned

Default Re: [Vehicles / Weapons] WZ551A with QJC-88 12.7mm MG

wow very nice good work.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #122
Durandal

Holy @#$% that QJC-88 model is AMAZING
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #123
Sparky Speirs

looks sexy !!!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #124
Blade.3510
Supporting Member

are we gonna expect to see automatic grenade lauchers in the future on this puppy?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #125
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Beautiful work. Can't wait to take the gunner out from above with a rocket, even better with a knife or C4
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #126
Anderson29
Supporting Member

good stuff

in-game name : Anderson2981
steam : Anderson2981
Old 03-14-2009, 09:43 AM   #127
M.Warren

Kudos to our new members for creating the HMG, it's highly detailed and very appealing graphically. Glad to have you aboard.

Now, I'm not trying to make a debate out of this because as we all know realism almost always has the final say in the matter. But my main point is that as time goes on there are more and more vehicles being introduced into PR are how I would say are... Situational? Or task specific? Rather than adapted specifically for front-line combat.

In example: There has been arguments in the past where some players feel that the TOW HMMWV is being used far more aggressively for tank hunting in game than they should theoretically be. But instead utilized more as a defensive alternative when used in conjunction with other armored assets when such units are present on the battlefield.

But just on a side note (Not referring to the work done on the WZ551A) it just seems odd to me that a modern military force would implement a vehicle like that in a direct and known area of conflict when it has the potential of having more capable firepower upon it. This is the same reason why I even question the U.S. Army for adapting the Stryker with the RWS .50 Cal turret at times.

However, vehicles like these have a purpose. From my basic military knowledge vehicles that are orientated like this play a very passive role in combat. The most practical purpose of a WZ551A (If it is actually used in this manner.) is what I'd consider as being more of a Command Vehicle.

Basically, Command Vehicles sacrifice offensive capability in order to gain additional equipment and utilities. In some cases they're outfitted with a very simple weapon for self-defense or at times nothing at all. This is because they're most likely seen behind the front lines coordinating tactics and logistics between other armored assets using electronics, communication and GPS navigation equipment. Possibly even carrying a small amount of basic but necessary supplies. Things such as first aid, tools, food and water. Maybe even in some cases these vehicles might carry small (But commonly needed.) spare parts in case of a mechanical problem, thus enabling them to offer basic repair assistance to vehicles out in the field.

Simply put, I suppose a vehicle like this is nice to have for gameplay atmosphere and a nice change of pace. But it's functionality in PR and in relation to it's realistic sense may be limited to a point where players would possibly question how practical it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
QJC-88 12.7mm MG

The QJC-88 is a 12.7mm Machine Gun (MG) that is fitted onto many Chinese Military Vehicles including the WZ551A which is designed to engage both ground and air targets. With it being able to aim 85degs up into the air, helicopters should be very wary of this threat. For now this MG is only fitted to the WZ551A but in the future we plan to fit this MG onto many more Chinese Vehicles.
Not to be a pain, but I'd say a smiliar vehicle that suits the same role would be the ZSU-23-4 Shilka. Although it does not offer the ability to transport troops it's purpose remains pretty much the same as what we're intending in game.

The only real question that we need to ask ourselves is: Does the PLA use the ZSU-23-4 Shilka to this day?

Just so happens that I was lucky enough to stumble over a video of a ZSU-23-4 Shilka. Surprisingly enough it appears to also be Chinese to the best of my knowledge (I could be wrong, but the red flag and the soldiers uniform hints to me that this may be true.). It'd probably be a better alternative, although it doesn't have a troop-carrying capability like the WZ551 and WZ551A.

Take the Blue Pill or take the Red Pill?

Old 03-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #128
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

M.Warren, most of your questions above can be answered by one simple thing, money.

It is a lot cheaper to produce a WZ551A with a HMG turret than it is for one with a 30mm or w/e turret.

China has a huge army, they can not afford to equipped all of there divisions with there most up to date equipment, hence why they have like 4 different MBTs (not sure on the exact numbers) where the ZTZ-99, there best tank is only used so much where the Brits have there CR2 as there only MBT since the Brits have a much smaller army and rely on more upto date equipment all the way though our Army in order to make up for our numbers.

They are also I would like to point out faster than the normal WZ551 since they have a huge chunk of there wait gone from the turret, giving them anouther small advantage.

At the end of the day, the WZ551 and the WZ551A are just APC, (Armoured Personal Carriers) which are there to transport infantry as there main role and not to be a "light tank" which seems to be along the lines of what your thinking. There weapons should only be used in defence and support and not as a main fighting force. the QJC is much better at Anti-Air protection than a 30mm turret, which also gives it anouther little up over the 30mm turret.

As for your command vehicle thing, no its really not used like that. A command vehicle normally has no weapons and his heavily modified with lots more radio equipment etc. This is still just a APC.

So at the end of the day, yes, China would use them on the front lines since they are one, cheaper and 2, faster and 3, give better AA cover which yes might not be a big factor if you have ADV around but you can't always have them everywhere and the more AA the better.

I hope that answers your questions.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #129
Charity Case
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
They are also I would like to point out faster than the normal WZ551 since they have a huge chunk of there wait gone from the turret, giving them anouther small advantage.
Will this actually be modeled in-game? Because the Stryker was claimed to be faster and more maneuverable than other APCs but it handles no differently.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #130
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charity Case View Post
Will this actually be modeled in-game? Because the Stryker was claimed to be faster and more maneuverable than other APCs but it handles no differently.
well so far its the same speed but with more tweaking and providing we dont forget it should be faster when released, but I'm a very forgetful person on these little details, for example I still think the MG is missing the bullet ejection effect

Closed Thread

Tags
127mm, apc, ifv, qjc88, vehicle, vehicles, weapon, weapons, wz551a, zsl92a