project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights > PR Dev Journal Archives > 2007
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #1
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Thumbs up [Audio] Distant Weapon Sounds

Along with a vast array of new weapon, vehicle and ambient sounds we've cooked up for you there is also a new feature to 3rd person weapons sounds that has never been attempted before in the BF2 engine. In the following video you'll see myself and db firing of tons of rounds from various weapons. Each calibre has it's own unique distant sound (5.56, 7.62, 9mm, 50cal).

Have a listen for yourselves, but bare in mind that the audio quality will obviously be far better in game. Also note that here, there are only two people shooting off rounds. Hopefully in a game with 30+ players there'll be a constant "live" ambient track of realtime gunfire

Sound Settings

In Project Reality we have stretched the boundries of the BF2 audio engine to provide you the most realistic and immersive audio experience we can. That said, this experience can be damaged depending on which settings you have seleted. So here are the suggested settings for both users with and without creative sound cards.

Creative Users

Set your audio settings to hardware w/ EAX enabled. If you are lucky enough to have an X-Fi card, use the appropriate settings BF2 has for X-Fi users.

Onboard Audio & Other brand Users

Set your audio settings to software w/ EAX enabled. Also make sure you download and install this. It will update your Openal API giving it improved EAX support among other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Last edited by Jaymz; 12-30-2007 at 02:51 AM..
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
Heskey
PR Server License Moderator

Awesome work!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
A-10Warthog
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to A-10Warthog Send a message via MSN to A-10Warthog Send a message via Skype™ to A-10Warthog

D:D: D:

A-10, EX PR Tester, Moderator, Public Relations.

from [R-DEV]CodeRedFox: "Fixing bugs creates more bugs"
Old 12-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #4
GeZe
PR Artwork Team

Sounds great

Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
Sadist_Cain
Supporting Member

I live next to an army barracks (just over 400m in fact :P) and wow....
SO wow... so very much wow, if wow was measured in wowometers then this would be off the wowometerometer... just wow...

I know I've got a way with words :P

Edit: Wow...

Real Edit.. 0.7 will go down in history as the most unanticipated game ever! I mean ppl are hyped up so much about it, theyre acting like folk are watching the Dev journal so closley that theyll get replies 10 minutes after an update at 4 in the morning...

Hang on.....

Last edited by Sadist_Cain; 12-26-2007 at 11:12 PM.. Reason: Wow!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
SethLive!
Supporting Member

great work
thanks for posting this jaymz

Someone please tell me that the above is irony.
Or I'll rip my own eyes out with a sardine.
-[R-Mod] Masaq
Old 12-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Threedroogs
Supporting Member

sounds incredible!

.7 is really shaping up to be the best release ever, by a very wide margain. i cant freaking wait to play it. great work!

Ingame name: StrkTm Pygar

Eggyweggs...I would like to smash 'em!

Old 12-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #8
ratlover232

Incredible. I take back the already negative amount of bad things I never said about the dev team. Also, wow.

PR NA Test Team: Breaking the DEV's Hard Work, One Build at a Time.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:44 PM   #9
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

omg that sounds just like the war vids ive seen!!!! omg omg omg omg omg i cant waitttttt

edit: WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWO WOWOWOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!1111!!ONEONEONEONE

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
Old 12-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #10
charliegrs

Send a message via AIM to charliegrs Send a message via Yahoo to charliegrs

will it take anything special to get these sounds to work? like will i need a dedicated soundcard like a soundblaster FX or something?

known in-game as BOOMSNAPP
'
Closed Thread

Tags
audio, distant, sounds, weapon