project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
22 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #41
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

Yet another issue.. I have never had so many issues with a game until now. Seriously.

Played the game happily without issue for close to 3 hours. It's a fracking miracle. Then my luck runs out. I got a PnkBstrA.exe hiccup error and it forced me out of the game. Then after that the Dalian_Plant/client.exe Punkbuster kick error came back. I replace the client.exe with the copy that I downloaded earlier this week and after I restarted PR I go through the paces of logging on the TG PR server and it throws up this error, "You must have Punkbuster running to play on this server." I check my running processes and both PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe are happily running along. So I reboot my computer and try again. Same error. I manually install and update Punk Buster again and restart. Try again and same error. So for some reason now it thinks I'm not running Punk Buster even though the processes are clearly running.

So yet again. I'm going to completely reinstall the game from scratch. I'm going to remove all game components. I'm going to remove every inch of this game from my registry. Everything short of a complete reformat. Then I'm going to install everything. BF2 Game, 1.41 patch, PR 0.756 Files and Levels and then Punk Buster manually.

Yay the 5th time to reinstall in about 7 days. Color me really fricken happy. Right now I'm about to just say screw anything that runs Punk Buster and play something else.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
kilroy0097 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #42
Dutch(CAN)

Thanks Kilroy for keeping this thread going. I am having the same issues and download all the same files with the same results. I, however am not very computer literate so all this info is great.

My biggest issue is the TG server, which I love. It is the quickest to kick. Other servers don't kick at all or as often. I am also admin on the battle arena. Either Battle hasn't got as crazy with the shaders issue or PB just doesn't kick.

Thanks again kilroy, I am anxiously waiting fora solution.

Dutch(CAN) is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #43
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

Exclamation How to Fix your Punk Buster MD5 Issues - Step by Step

Alright. I think I fixed the issue with my problems. At least I played 3 maps in a row without a kick so that in itself is an accomplishment.

Edit Add: I would like to point out that the following solution is probably a viable solution for just about any BF2 issue you may encounter. So often the answer to a BF2 problem of large magnitude is to completely reinstall from scratch. These steps will achieve that for you.

Here are the steps I followed to get this working for me so far. It may or may not work for you and I take no responsibility if for some reason something goes wrong for you. Also I did a lot of rebooting of my computer. Just to be absolutely sure. You might be able to get away with less reboots but that's up to you.

-----------------
Removal Portion
-----------------

1) Add/Remove Programs -> Remove all of PR, BF2 and any other Mods for BF2.

2) This step might be overkill for most so you may want to skip this step if you do not feel comfortable messing with registry entries as messing up here may screw up other applications and Windows in general. So use caution when attempting this step.

I used CCleaner which is a driver, file and registry cleaner program. Got rid of anything and everything in my registry that had to do with BF2 or Battlefield or Punkbuster. I also used Regedit at cmd line for Windows to make double certain. Search for "BF2" "PnkB" "Battlefield"

3) Go to where you installed BF2. For me it was: C:\Program Files\EA Games\
Manually delete everything there. For some reason the add remove files does not remove all folders. I also got rid of all expansion packs for BF2 since I don't play Vanilla BF2 anymore. If you do you will have to install those separately if you have the files.

Warning: If you have any files in these directories that you want to keep such as a BF2 iso image or patches or anything. Back them up.

Also remove all PR and BF2 shortcuts from your Desktop/Quick Launch and Start -> Program files if they exist.

Important Step:

4) Now this one might be the most important part. I found out about it just today after doing some searching. Punkbuster has a Removal Uninstall utility called pbsvc.exe This utility will completely remove all Punk Buster files from your computer. Even ones that are hidden in your system32 folders and elsewhere. You can download this file from: PunkBuster Online Countermeasures
Scroll down till you see the heading How do I uninstall PunkBuster?. It's all the way to the bottom. File direct link HERE

5) Go to your My Documents folder and to the Battlefield 2 folder.
Delete everything in profiles, logocache and dump. You can keep your screen shots if you want.

6) I defragged the C: drive after all this just to make sure. Also now would be the time to run Adaware or SpyBot and also your favorite Anti-Virus program. A full scan with updated definitions. A couple of free ones I highly recommend if you don't already own a professional one are, AVG or Avast.

7) REBOOT. <-- Mandatory

----------------------
Installation Portion
----------------------

Here is where you reinstall your video drivers, audio drivers or any other drivers if you have issues with that or feel a need to do it if you have not done it in a while. I recently reinstalled my video drivers two days ago and Creative has never released drivers for my Audigy 2 that worked worth a damn to reinstall so I didn't do this part.

8) Install BF2 BUT DO NOT INSTALL PUNKBUSTER. Choose the Custom option and uncheck Punkbuster. Then continue to install the game.

9) REBOOT. (You must do this after the install)

9.5) If you still play Vanilla BF2 and want to install all the expansion packs and other BF2 add-ons then here is when you do it. Do them all now before moving on.

10) Install BF2 Patch 1.41

11) REBOOT. <-- optional

12) Go to PunkBuster Online Countermeasures and download the manual Punk Buster for Windows files. Run pbsetup.exe and then choose BF2 and update.

13) REBOOT yet again. <--- recommended

14) Download the two files for PR if you have not already. The PR Core 0.756 and the PR Levels 0.756. - Project Reality : Battlefield 2 Mod - Mod Files

To future proof these instructions you would replace the PR files above with whatever version is the newest version. Obviously if you are getting this problem when 0.8 is released you would not install the older version of PR. This might be common sense to most but you would be surprised.

Install both of them and then... You guessed it...

15) REBOOT. <---- Mandatory

--------------------------
Game Startup and Settings
--------------------------

16) Start up PR from the short cut created by the installation. It should be brand new and you should not have your old one there if you followed my instructions.

17) Retrieve your Account info and then set all your settings to whatever is optimal for you. Controls, Video, Audio etc. - Don't forget to Apply changes.

Optional: I actually logged out and quit the game after this stage and then booted it back up again to make certain the settings changes were set.

18) Go to an empty server and let those Graphics Optimize again. Then mess around for about 5 minutes and see if you are cured for that server.

19) Then go to whatever favorite server you like and play. Mine was the TG server and like I said, 3 maps went by and I had no issues. Whoop!

---------------------------------
Total Time for Repairs approx: 70 min (Depending on User and speed of Computer)
---------------------------------

Conclusion: This is a very lengthy and involved process. Many steps are probably way overkill however my issues were deep rooted and could not be solved by simple fixes. Many others only had to reinstall PR or move their path for their shortcut or swap a single file around. But if you are having serious issues like myself and can't seem to figure them out then go ahead and give this a try. I hope it works for you. I also do not recommend installing any other Mods at this time. Do so at your own risk.

And I hope it continues to work for me or else I might just go crazy. Go ahead and reply post if this solves your issues. Just my own curiosity on how many people were in the same boat as me.

Cheers

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis
Last edited by kilroy0097; 04-15-2008 at 04:21 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #44
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Thanks for the nice step by step instructions kilroy, will send anyone having problems this way...
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #45
gamerwiz09

Okay, wow...I have this problem too...Is there no other way to fix it??? Just started playing this mod, and I DO want to play it, but cant because of this.

Just wondering, and Devs, I do respect what you do and all your work for this mod, but are you working on this at all? It should not be left to us, the players, to comb through our computers, erasing everything related to PR, BF2, and PB, then completely reinstall every necessary file over again.

Should this not be considered a more major problem? It makes the game nearly unplayable for those unfortunate enough to encounter this problem. Perhaps you should make it a top priority and get working on a hotfix...

Again, I know you have limited time and what not, and I don't know anything about what you would have to do, but it seems a bit ridiculous to me.

"There is no such thing as real life, just AFK."
gamerwiz09 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #46
arn354

Ridiculuos is that you request that the DEVs should take care of your personal computer.

There is no problem with punkbuster or the mod or with bf2 itself.

It is your computer.

Your local machine is fully in your hands - and you are responsible for that - not the DEVs.

Above is a solution which will work 100% - if you have no further guests like viruses or trojans on your machine or no defect hdd or no defect ram.

So take that time to try to fix your computer and afterwards enjoy the mod.

The DEVs put uncountable hours over hours into PR - so you can at last take 2h (if it takes so long at all) to fix your local installation.
arn354 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #47
gamerwiz09

Fine, but with the condition and status of my computer(You can't really understand what I mean, but trust me), it just wouldn't be worth it to try and solve such a problem with the method provided above. I guess you wont be seeing me in PR for a while. Shame, too, I really wanted to play.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #48
gamerwiz09

So actually, I tried a different server, and it worked, played about 3 rounds or so till I crashed from some unrelated problem. Maybe it's fixed? Maybe it's just that server...

Old 04-15-2008, 04:16 AM   #49
kilroy0097
Supporting Member

It is a proven fact that some servers are much less picky on your installation than others. Of all the servers I've attempted to test this bug on the TG server was the most strict and I got the most kicks from. What about the TG server is so wacked out? I have no clue.

I added and clarified a few steps in the original instructions. If new additions become clear to me I will edit and clarify so that the link to that post can remain the central reference point.

Last edited by kilroy0097; 04-15-2008 at 04:24 AM..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #50
gamerwiz09

The TC server seemed strict on me, but I had no problems with the 1CD server...Guess I found a new favorite server! Hey 1CD clan, you're gonna be seeing alot of me from now on!

Tags
error, md5tool, mismatch, punkbuster, troubleshooting