project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
21 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Teo
Exclamation PR boot failure ***MORE HELP NEEDED!!!!***

I recently reformatted my computer due to a physical fault with the the hard disk. I have now formatted and installed all drivers on the new hard disk. I have installed Bf2 and patched to 1.5, i have installed all parts of PR and the map pack.

However, neither game will run. I use kaspersky internet security, and both programs have been made "trusted" = no interference from firewall.

When i double click the PR.exe shortcut on desktop, the PR startup loading screen appears, before dissappearing and nothing happening.

When i double click the bf2 icon, the screen goes black as if preparing to launch the game, but then crashes to desktop.

Both shortcut directories are correct, and i have deleted the battlefield 2 folder in my documents.

Both games work 100% without no problems on my old hard disk.

Before anyone suggests re-installing, i am very hesitant too as it has taken me a total of 2 and a half days to download all the patches and PR-installation parts necessary.

Any help/suggestions? I will be forever in your debt if solution is found / any help given.

Teo <3
Last edited by Teo; 07-31-2012 at 06:46 AM..
Old 07-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician
Project Reality Beta Tester
Default Re: PR boot failure, any help appreciated

Did you delete the installation files?
Try to copy them to a USB drive or burn them to a disk if you are low on hard drive space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Read through this, see what you missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
Not sure how far along in the installation process you are, or if you are thinking or starting a reinstall again from scratch:

Here is the installation guide with download links:
http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...ion-guide.html

Here is the installation guide in tl;dr format:

Install BF2.
Run BF2.
Note the version number on the bottom left corner of the log-in screen. Write it down.
join online game.
adjust your audio and video settings now for convenience.
exit BF2.
Reboot.

install 1.41 FULL PATCH.
Run BF2.
join online game.
exit BF2.
Reboot.

install 1.5 PATCH.
Run BF2.
join online game.
exit BF2.
Reboot.

Download and install 0.973 full installer.
Start the PR shortcut on desktop.
join online game.

If you crash at the splash screen, or the screen goes black and then crashes to desktop, try to start PR in windowed mode by following the directions below:

Code:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive  
Edit your PR shortcut and ( what AfterDune said ) put this in it

Code:
"D:\Program Files\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe" +restart +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 +szx 1280 +szy 720
Dont just copy paste this, but adjust to your install location. Make sure you dont omit quotation marks or it wont work.

If you start in windowed mode and it CTDs, a Message will pop up telling you the problem. Take a screenshot or write this down and post it to this thread.

You can then download the PR:Vietnam, PR:Normandy, PR:Falklands and Anders Soundmod at your discretion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
Teo

i downloaded all of it using the Opera internet browser, and when promted i selected "run" instead of save, and can find no trace of installation files on my pc I think they automatically deleted out of temp-internet files after installation :/ . & I a have 900 gb of hard disk space free
Teo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Teo

i didnt run bf2 after installing, shall i reinstall and run after installation?
Old 07-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Teo, Opera Browser doesn't always delete the internet temporary download cache,

Quote:
To modify the settings, (In your case to find the setting) type the URL: opera:config

Navigate to “User Prefs” tab and modify its cache folder: Cache Directory4 =C:\Temp\Opera\ or where ever you have it set to. Find this location and go search in Windows Explorer.
(alternative quick jump link: opera:config#UserPrefs|CacheDirectory4)

Cache Directory4
is where the downloaded installation files will be located, if they still exist on your HDD.
You can do a quick search in the windows explorer for large files to speed up looking through all the subdirectories.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
Teo

thankyou for the assistance, however i followed the instructions above and did indeed find the folder you speak of. However, all the folders are empty. the biggest one there is an internet link called "dcache4" which is 2,552kb , but when i double click to open it i get

"the target of this Internet Shortcut is not valid. Go to the internet shortcut property sheet and make sure the target is correct."

No sign of the files i downloaded and installed :/ could they be anywhere else?
Old 07-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

I'm sorry, but if they are not located in your Cache Directory4 directory nor in your Opera default download directory you are screwed.

If you did install correctly, again, you got to try this, and it should work. Try it on your BF2.exe desktop shortcut first. Copy the shortcut and paste a second on the desktop, and do as follows:

Edit your PR shortcut and put this in it

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +restart +menu 1 +fullscreen 0 +szx 1280 +szy 720

Dont just copy paste this, but adjust to your install location. Make sure you dont omit quotation marks or it wont work.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
Teo

ah sod it, i will just redownload everything, but this time save it all to a folder and go from scratch. Thankyou anyway although, I will probably end up back here in two days time xD
Old 07-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
[R-COM]LITOralis.nMd
Lead Support Technician

Best of Luck, I suggest using a torrent download instead of a browser download.

I suggest downloading and installing
?Torrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

You can then let the download go unattended, can resume upon any interuption without a problem, and you can make sure you save the files in the right spot.

Tags
appreciated, boot, failure