project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
20 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
eschermond
Default Your connection to the server has been lost

After resolving issues with Mumble and sound output, it appears that I can't play PR anyway.

I try to join a server, it tells me "Your connection to the server has been lost" before I've even seen a loading screen. I try to connect to the same server and SUCCESS! But only for a limited time. The amount of time varies. I could play for 2 minutes, I could play for 10 minutes, but sooner or later "Your connection to the server has been lost."

I've gone through the forums and done everything that has been suggested (uninstalling/reinstalling punkbuster, making sure Punkbuster A AND B both "restart the service.") This makes me very sad, as from what I could see, this is a great mod and a decent community.

I've enjoyed my brief time with you, PR. I guess I'll go back to Company Of Heroes now, defeated.
eschermond is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default re: Your connection to the server has been lost

The part where you can only join a server the SECOND time you try, is something most (if not all) of us are suffering from. It's a punkbuster thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]AfterDune is online now Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
eschermond

What about losing connection after a random amount of time? No workarounds?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
eschermond

Ha ha. Ths whole situation is absolutely laughable.

A little background:

I bought BF2 when it first came out, however many years ago. Played it, loved . Eventually moved on to other things. Flash forward a few years, and I get a hankerin' to play. Grab my copy to find that my Disc 1 is missing. Oh well. Flash forward a few more years and hear about Project Reality. Wow! A mod for a game Rhett I love that focuses on team work and communication? Perfect, sign me up. Contemplate downloading BCw from steam, only to find out that my now out-of-date laptop won't run BF2. Oh well.

Flash forward to last night. Have a new laptop that well easily run BF2 on its highest settings. Awesome. Spend $20 to get BF2 from steam. Download it, run it, pretty much how I remember it. Looks a little dated, but that's probably because it IS a little dated. No matter, i'm here for the PR anyway.

Download PR. Takes about 2 hours but, I'm sure it will be worth the wait. Install, again about another hour but, like I said, worth the wait. Download Mumble. Install, yada yada yada. 10:30 PM now, but everything is ready to go. Let's do this.

Can't connect to the mumble server. Sigh. Well, we can worry about that later. Let's get into this game.

Find a server, deploy. Ok this seems pretty neat, big maps, not over crowded, let's head over to...

"Your connection to the server has been lost." Sigh.

Well, maybe I did something wrong. Let's try again. Ok, this server looks good. Ok, deploy.

Where did my sound go? Hmm, well let's see. Tweak tweak tweak. Ok, got the sound back. Let's see if we can get into another server...

Ok, deploy. Let me get a ride in this chopper. This guy looks like he knows where he's going. Lemme follow him. I hear some gunfire coming from this direction, maybe I can hook up with.

"Your connection to the server has been lost."

Repeat x5.

No help from the forums. Last resort: Compete uninstall/reinstall. Start> All Programs> Battlefield 2> Uninstall Battlefield 2.

"This shortcut cannot be found."

Great. So now I can't uninstall everything.

Uninstall through windows. Same for PR.

REINSTALL.

Let's try again? NOPE!

Now the only option in the Project Reality Start Menu is : "Uninstall PR"

Ha. Ah ha ha ha ha ha!

I have to laugh because, if I don't, I'll cry.

I tried, PR. I tried so hard. But I can't take the aggravation anymore. I hope you get everything worked out, and some other people get to have fun.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #5
MaSSive

Send a message via Skype™ to MaSSive

Im sorry your having a hard time with it, but if you take it easy Im sure we will be able to fix it.

First step is to tell us something more about your PC and operating system. And are you able to play the core game or any other mod without this problem that you described?

If core game is not running properly mod itself will not run too. Nothing to blame PR about, so lets try fixing the actual problem without losing temper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CATA4TW!
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
eschermond

I'm sorry for getting so testy. I just feel like I've wasted 2 days of my life on this.

To answer your question, it seems like I'm having the same problem with BF2 Proper. Seems to happen even quicker than with PR.

Any information I can provide to you? Let me know. Thanks for trying.

Windows 7
Old 06-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #7
MaSSive

Windows 7 is not much about your system. 32 or 64 bit, which processor, how much ram, which graphic card, how you installed the game, did you follow install instructions, do you meet requirements to install the mod/play it.

Installed Punkbuster, tested its service, updated it, checked if its enabled trough firewall, having some sort of firewall either software or hardware type?

CATA4TW!
Old 06-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #8
eschermond

Really sorry for wasting your time.

I disabled Windows Firewall and that seems to have fixed the "Your connection to the server has been lost" issue. Now I'm dealing with abnormally high pings.

Again, sorry for getting pissed/making you think about this. Please don't hate me.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
MaSSive

No worries. I wont lock this another 24h, if there is no any problem Ill pack it up.

Cheers and enjoy.

PS: Edited thread title to reflect the problem better.

CATA4TW!
Old 07-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
Wrath 228
Default Re: Your connection to the server has been lost

Start Project Reality, then while it is running, go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services. From there, find your Punkbuster B service and go to Properties. Go to the "Log On" tab and make sure "Allow this program to interact with the desktop" is checked off, then go to the "Recovery" tab. Make sure all three drop-down menus are set to "Restart."

I tried this last night after having the same exact problem as the OP for about two weeks, and I played a game on Kashan Desert for about three hours with no problems. Note that this will not fix the issue of being unable to connect the first time you try, but it did seem to fix the random disconnect once actually in the server.

Hope this helps you like it did me!
Wrath 228 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
connection, disappoint, lost, server