project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
22 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #1
MaSSive

Default Project Reality: BF2 - Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I cannot run the installer, it just hangs.

Quote:
A: If you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7, disable User Account Control (UAC). For more information how to do it read this article. You can also try disabling your anti-virus protection, and any other program that may be interfering with the launch of the installer. If this doesn't help, it may be a corrupted download. You can try fixing the corrupt sectors by using the torrent and pointing the save location to the corrupted installer, saving you having to download the entire file again. Make sure that you have administrator right on account you are installing PR from, and to run all three installers by right clicking to them and selecting Run as administrator.
-----------

Q: I have no desktop shortcut, how can I run PR?

Quote:
A: The PR installer will automatically create the desktop shortcut for you.

If for whatever reason this does not happen, then you will need to make it yourself. Navigate to your PR directory, example:

(Default directory)
"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\"

Right click on "pr.exe" (it will have a dogtags icon), then go Send To -> Desktop (Create Shortcut). Then rename it to "Project Reality", and then you can double click that icon to launch PR from now on.
-----------

Q: I get an error when launching PR.

Quote:
A: pr.exe requires .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This should've been automatically installed through the "Core" or "Patch" installer. If this didn't happen, try updating manually by going to THIS site and downloading the installer.
-----------

Q: After logging into PR, I get an error message You must use "pr.exe" to run Project Reality. Please update your shortcuts as required.

Quote:
A: Firstly, take note of the message under that, IF YOU HAVE JUST CREATED A NEW ACCOUNT, PLEASE RESTART PROJECT REALITY. So, if you have just created or retrieved an account, simply quit out of PR, then launch it again. It should allow you to log in.

If the error still shows, then you are not using "pr.exe" to run Project Reality. You cannot launch PR from the community tab in BF2, it must be launched from pr.exe. Check your desktop shortcuts, and make sure it looks similar to this:

(Default Directory 32bit Windows)
Target:
"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe"

Start In:
"C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\mods\pr"

Target:
Default Directory 64bit Windows
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr\pr.exe"

Start In:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\pr"

If that STILL doesn't work, you are sure that you are using pr.exe, but you still get the error, try deleting your My Documents/Battlefield 2 folder, launch vBF2, retrieve your account, customize your settings, and join MP game once to assure it runs fine. Then quit and run PR, and see if that works.
-----------

Q: I am getting kicked from servers for Punkbuster MD5Tool Mismatch errors.

Quote:
A: This error means the files you are using have been modified one way or another. Could've been by accident, could've been on purpose. Either way, you will get kicked. To fix, take note of the filename. If it is "something" or "mods\bf2\something", try running the BF2 v1.5 patch again, or if that doesn't help, try reinstalling BF2 from scratch. If it is "mods\pr\something", you need to reinstall PR.
-----------

Q: I am getting kicked from servers for Punkbuster issues other than MD5Tool Mismatch errors.
Quote:
A: Most commonly, these types of issues are solved by updating Punkbuster files. You can do this by running PBSetup. If that still doesn't fix the issue, try running PBSVC and reinstalling the Punkbuster service. Always restart your PC after doing this.
-----------

Q: I can't see any servers in the server list.

Quote:
A: Ensure that you are running BF2 v1.5. Previous or newer versions are not supported by Project Reality. If you have Steam version of BF2 take a look at this thread for fix.
-----------

Q: I am crashing to desktop when loading/changing levels

Quote:
A: The most common cause of this is that you are running out of memory (though there are other causes). BF2 was a memory intensive game, and PR only increases on that.

First, you can try lowering your video settings, in particular, Textures.

If that doesn't help or fix your issue, you can try increasing your virtual memory.
-----------

Q: I am experiencing lag in game or low FPS ( Frames Per Second )

Quote:
A: Most common issue is latency ( ping ). Check your network connection and make sure you turn off all background processes while playing PR. Check all cables are properly attached or there is no interference in case of wifi. Do a tracert test to your favorite server where you play.

To do this press Win+R and type "cmd" (without quotes ) in Run box and execute. Command prompt will start. Now find out IP address of server where you play often. Once you do this type the following into command line:

Code:
tracert XYZ.XYZ.XY.ZXY
where xyz are digits of IP adress you are tracing. Once done you will see the result in this form.

If you have timeouts or higher result in ms at some point, thats where youre problem is.

Next most common problems are P2P/filesharing applications such as Bit-torrent or instant messengers such as AOL, Windows Live or Skype. Make sure to turn them all off before you start the game.

Second part would be when your network is fine ( no latency problems ), and here are things to check in that case.

• Make sure your graphic card or processor are not overheating;
  • Scan your PC for viruses, trojans, or worms - update your system;
  • Turn off all background applications, and instant messengers;
  • Clean up the clutter and defragment your hard drives;
  • Make sure your HDD is not full - you need at least 15% free space on every partition on your hard drive to avoid fragmentation and low performance issues;
  • Turn of firewalls and AV software, disable scheduled scanning in all applications;
  • Temporarily turn off Windows update, or set it to check and notify;
  • Lower your settings - higher resolutions, and texture settings have high memory demands, so if you have less then 3Gb you will have to do this;
  • You can try to delete your shaders cache and let the game optimize them again. To do this, navigate to My Documents > Battlefield 2 >mods >bf2 and delete cache folder. Run PR and let it optimize shaders again.
-----------

- This FAQ is originaly made by [R-DEV]AncientMan and updated by [R-COM]MaSSive

- Special thanks to [R-DEV]2Slick4U for creating a new FAQ system which will be introduced soon.

CATA4TW!
"People never lie so much as before an election, during a war, or after a hunt."
"God has a special providence for fools, drunks, and the United States of America."
― Otto von Bismarck
Last edited by MaSSive; 02-17-2012 at 07:29 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
asked, bf2, frequently, project, questions, reality