project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #41
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Default Re: Remove Or Update The Rifleman Anti-Personnel Kit

The thing is, PR doesn't have a story. I'd personally like it to have a story, but it doesn't, so we have no idea what sort of wars those are, if they all happen at once, or if each map is one out of many possible scenarios or whatever. If all the conflicts in PR happened within a few years from eachother, we have the old problem of having to somehow logically explain that with a background story. So far, this problem was simply ignored, and thus, logically, all related problems were.

With no story, there's no politics at all, and without politics, there's no policies, rules or anything. So we kinda agreed that the current rules are in effect in whatever situation PR shows us.

And at least in the Afghanistan-themed maps and the militia ones, the RoE might even be fully effective in PR's hypothetical storyline. Without story, we can't tell where the great war began and what age we're in anyhow.

Anyhow, vBF2 claymores suck for gameplay. Hell, even the avoidable, easily visible, defusable grenade traps do more harm than good already. A claymore which would possibly even come without visible trip line would be aweful gameplay wise.

Edit:

What I'd agree with, though, is giving the AP fellow the ability to remove their own mines (in their current form) plus possibly hostile ones and grenade traps. Would make the kit useful especially in insurgency games, without being too unrealistic. He's a bit of a minor demolitions expert then instead of a rifleman with claymores, I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature! || If you need help or have a question, feel free to contact me via
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Spec is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #42
Trooper909

Update yes remove no.Its a great kit but highly situational witch is why its rarely requested. .Being able to move your claymores is a great idea as it would make it more mobile witch is where the kit really fails.

It would also remove the need to detonate you explosives If you do have to move.Good Idea for all explosive based kits actually.
Trooper909 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #43
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

the claymores are effective in many places, you just gotta think. on many more mountainous maps, there are only certain routes infantry can use to say walk up the side of a mountain. an Example being the Fools road, korengal, in certain places Archer, etc. There are very areas that infantry will use to get on top of a high feature. those are the best palaces to use them. Either place them along said path, or create a kill zone at the top of the path where they are likely to pause to let others catch up.

i agree with what some others have mentioned here, make it so a player can pick up the claymores.

Anything can be a weapon, anyone can be a threat. Never under estimate the combat ability of your opposition. He may seem weak and harmless now but even a dead man can carry a few pounds of explosives in his gut or deliver a decisive blow by rotting away in your water supply.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #44
Bob of Mage

What about factions that still use true AP mines? The MEC (only a few members would have signed it and even than the MEC is a new state so it's not bound by those signings), Israel, Russia, China, and the USA have all not signed the treaty. If those nations, plus groups like Hamas, use AP mines in real life they should have the option in PR. It's rather sad to ban a weapon for those factions that use just because some factions don't use it.
Bob of Mage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #45
Himalde

I'd like to use it more, the major problem is that it takes a loooong time and a lot of ammo to set up a usefull trap. You spend most time walking back and forward to get ammo. Add 5 claymores to the kit and add the trip flairs and it would work a lot better.

RealityTeamwork
Himalde is offline Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #46
spiked_rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalde View Post
the major problem is that it takes a loooong time and a lot of ammo to set up a usefull trap. Add 5 claymores to the kit and add the trip flairs and it would work a lot better.
I agree that it's a major pain to actually set up a good defence, but I think 5 claymores would be excessive, considering a claymore weighs about one and a half kilos, and is quite bulky, but three would be a good number if the restock time was taken down.

Also yes agree with everyone who thinks that explosives should be able to be re collected, it's really annoying setting a trap up, then a flag gets capped, and you're now off the beaten track.
spiked_rye is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #47
Arnoldio
Banned

3-4 clays per kit would be good, less walking abck and forth and mroe useful.

Kit is extremely useful, but in extremely rare situations, since here in PR people come in from all sides, there is no prediction most of the time...

But removing it, hell no.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #48
Phantom2

I personally like the AP kit as a little ambush device when we are about to get overrun by enemy infantry. Just place them were you are, leave, blow them up. Look at them dead bodies. I also like it when I find a person who strayed too far from the squad. kill him, put a claymore, Run, wait for medic. Boom
Phantom2 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:06 PM   #49
Stoickk

Removing a claymore, real world, is actually a bit faster than emplacing one. It is a matter of unscrewing the shipping plug from the blasting cap well, removing the blasting cap, securing the cap in the wire spool (claymores, at least back when I used them, are not generally fired wirelessly) screwing the shipping plug back in, wrapping it all up and putting it back in the bag.

This is in comparison to the emplacement process that involves testing of the firing device (clacker) firing wire and blasting cap, physical emplacement sighting and camouflage of the mine, emplacement staking and camouflage of the firing wire, and all this after finding a suitable firing location within the length of the wire.

In terms of PR, I would love to see the ability to remove claymores. I would also like to see the ammo counts for the two detonation channels linked, so that it is up to the RAP how many are placed on which channel, versus being limited strictly to one blue and one yellow. This would be similar to deployed and undeployed modes on AR's and marksman rifles, or the Arty IED's for the Insurgents.

<<<WARNING: VETERAN UNDER MEDICATION FOR YOUR SAFETY>>>

Just some guy.

Stoickk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #50
mati140

What about changing the detonation system this way - pressing detonator activates the sensor and makes it explode when s1 steps in front ot it. Next... and here comes the problem - maybe it would simply disable sensors? Or, maybe it would detonate it imediately? Or maybe both, depending on the kit version - one with activate-detonate system and the other one with active-disactive system?

Also there should be some disarm "weopon" for taking own mines (fast, unless armed) and enemy ones (slow, disarming first, maybe with some randomity factor that would make it explode in, let's say, 5% of situations?), also for combat engineer instead of wrench (while AP Rman would be able to disarm AP mines and granade traps only, Combat Engineer would have ability do disarm everything). It may be simply hands with a, let's say, knife and a screwdriver, or just hands, that would move like when healing after pressing the firebuton.

Alternatively some minigame would be made for disarming, so player would actualy need to take some time learning to be a combat engineer / minesweeper, making those kits more important ones - togeather with giving more explosives to both teams, that would make CE and AP kits necessery (ATM CE isn't used to much).

Sorry if some ideas are reposts of reposts.

mati140 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
antipersonnel, kit, remove, rifleman, update