Project Reality Forums

Project Reality Forums (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/)
-   Infantry (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f255-infantry)
-   -   SVD Dragunov (and all DM rifles?) seemed very overpowered.. (http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f255-infantry/93383-svd-dragunov-all-dm-rifles-seemed-very-overpowered.html)

BenHamish 01-10-2011 07:38 PM

SVD Dragunov (and all DM rifles?) seemed very overpowered..

Hello all, just some feedback.

I've played PR for 6 months now, and i'm used to the general [perceived] inaccuracy and lack of power of the weapons. I like to think of myself as a conscientious player, and as such normally don't request the Marksman kit (let the noobs waste it..).

I was in a server today where everybody was being very selfish so I thought 'why not' at the end of the round, and requested the Marksman (Dragunov).

I've used it once before when I picked it up off a dead guy on Basrah. Back then I thought it was fairly inaccurate, but still got me lots of [cowardly..] kills.

Today, I didn't use it at max view distance. By coincidence a Land Rover techie dropped off a soldier, forcing me to use it at medium (actually fairly close) range.

I killed two whole squads in the space of six minutes. The fecking thing is LETHAL! Deployable, semi-auto and with one-shot-kill.

Basically I got so confident with it I was shooting people in the HEAD before they dismounted. When they did dismount I shot them in the torso [whilst they were running] with no problems. One shot kill, down every time. It was actually far easier than the vBF2 sniper rifles, felt like duck shooting (I didn't need to lead the target, I just waited for the enemy to run through it and BANG).

I realise the SVD uses the large 7.62x54R rounds (as does the PKM), but this all really did seem excessive. I actually felt sorry for the squad members - I went from three kills with the crappy 'sapper gun' (Militia medic) to twelve kills! None of them stood a chance, even with the body armour (They were British Army).

Another negative thing seems, perhaps this is why all of the noobs rush to request it. I think it would make lonewolfing extremely rewarding..

(Edit: Does this mean the PKM has the same kill-power?)

hiberNative 01-10-2011 07:57 PM

Re: SVD Dragunov (and all DM rifles?) seemed very overpowered..

it's fine as it is. the other squads fault they ran so close to eachother.
try to right click when you request it for the iron sight dragunov version. so badass!

Silly_Savage 01-10-2011 08:12 PM

The Dragunov is ridiculously awesome. Went 33-0 last night on Fallujah with it.

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109309974-4.jpg

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/109309978-4.jpg

Kain888 01-10-2011 08:48 PM

The Dragunov is ridiculously overpowered.

BenHamish 01-11-2011 05:49 AM

Nice job Savage!

Imagine if the l33t 'I can has snip4r?' lot didn't use it all the time.. Two experienced (kill a squad, then move) players with the marksman could totally close down the enemy.

I may well be tempted to use this more in future (better than to be on the receiving end).. I could do more for my team being a l33t whore than by anything else but leading a squad (which isn't always worth it).

Nitneuc 01-11-2011 06:07 AM

Don't forget you have to be still for 8s before using deployed DMR perfectly accurate. I personally find them pretty well balanced. Like an assault rifle as undeployed and a low-powered sniper rifle as deployed, just as they have to be.

=LK= A.H. 01-11-2011 06:11 AM

If you're going to complain about a DM rifle, complain about the right one: The Hamas M4A1. That thing's ridiculously powerful and accurate, and I wouldn't have it any other way - our squad's DM had 14 kills at the end of Asad Khal yesterday (I showed him a good ambush position and he stopped the IDF assault immediately!).

BenHamish 01-11-2011 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by =LK= A.H. (Post 1528647)
If you're going to complain about a DM rifle, complain about the right one: The Hamas M4A1. That thing's ridiculously powerful and accurate, and I wouldn't have it any other way - our squad's DM had 14 kills at the end of Asad Khal yesterday (I showed him a good ambush position and he stopped the IDF assault immediately!).

From an M4?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitneuc (Post 1528642)
Don't forget you have to be still for 8s before using deployed DMR perfectly accurate. I personally find them pretty well balanced. Like an assault rifle as undeployed and a low-powered sniper rifle as deployed, just as they have to be.

I doubt it takes 8 seconds to settle.. I thought it was 4 seconds and then 1 second between shots.

Also, undeployed, if they are 'like an assault rifle' then it's 4 seconds to settle.

And 'low-powered'?? Did you see my one-shot-kill references and tally up my kills?

The enemy squads should have been more spread out.. but it wouldn't have helped! I just straight up owned them, and this was the first time i'd used the SVD at anything but max range.

Nitneuc 01-11-2011 07:10 AM

I dunno how it happened but I'm positive the SVD doesn't kill full-health people in one shot (maybe insurgents but not body armor wearing factions). It's true that damage are higher than any other non-sniper rifle in-game (when hit you see B&W like a few seconds later).

For the settle times, according to nedlands it's 5 seconds for assault rifles/undeployed DMR and 8.1 seconds for deployed DMR (1 second between shots for both) although you can fire earlier with reasonable accuracy.

KEIOS 01-11-2011 07:16 AM

Don't change the SVD!