project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
31 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #61
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB
Default Re: 3D Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
Never mind, you missed the point of my post by about one continent. What's amazing is the fact that I even posted pictures, color pictures to boot, and people still don't get it....... Just forget it.
I'm afraid you're not getting it.

FOVs are made to be realistic, so if you see 6 guys out of 8 - this how it would be irl, regardless of that black ring around. Nothing is nerfed, the FOV is the exact what you see irl and it(and the reasons for such implementation) was explained to you here already, but you keep complaining about same thing again and again
Reread Chuc's posts here and try to 'visualize and understand' them, instead of repeating same words.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #62
T.A.Sharps

Arrow Re: 3D Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps
I just have a quick observation/suggestion. First off though, I think the new 3D scopes are awesome.

However, I feel these are made too small on the screen. I almost always find my self squinting and moving closer to the screen to see better through the "little hole" that is the reticle.

Looking down a scope would take up almost your entire field of view in one eye. Currently you are really able to see too much around the scope in the cool new 3D blurred area.

I have never been able to see that much around any scope when my eye was in it. Your eye in PR seems to be somewhere around a foot behind the reticle. A normal eye relief is 3-4".

It would also be more accurate to have the burred area around the optic actually be to one side and the optic be on the other, depending on if you want PR to be left or right handed.

This would simulate shooting IRL where you, ideally, would keep your none aiming eye open while you aim. (I never do personally, but your eyes work better if you do.)

So if you shoot from your right eye, it would be filled with the scope picture, and the left eye would have the blurred image everything on that side of your rifle.
Above is my original thread that I was interested in a discussion of.

I'm posting this here since my original thread was locked.

My first post and this thread are related, but are not the same thing. This thread became all about Dirty Berd wanting more field of view in his scope, and everyone trying to explain that in real life he would not see those 8 men, just the 6.

My post had nothing to do with the FOV of the reticles as I think it is fine. I am not talking about making the scope see more, or see all 8 guys rather than the 6 you would see with a real life FOV.

The two thoughts I wanted to open discussion about are:

1. The scope area on the screen, or the FOV of your eye, not the scope/reticle.

2. The position of the scope on the screen would be more realistic if it were to one side of the screen, and the visible blurred area would be on the other. As would be the same for the aiming of all rifles in PR.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EVERYBODY MAKES FUN OF REDNECKS.... UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.
T.A.Sharps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #63
DenvH

Quote:
2. The position of the scope on the screen would be more realistic if it were to one side of the screen, and the visible blurred area would be on the other. As would be the same for the aiming of all rifles in PR.
Interesting, but I guess it would both look and feel weird. And closing one eye would make it feel like the scope is in the centre, since closing one eye is most common when looking through a scope, it would be awesome if this closing of the eye can be visualised, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible in BF2. Though it might be possible to shift the cam position in a split second when aiming? Not sure how that will work out..

If you try holding a tube/glass/scope close to your right eye and opening/closing your left eye, you will see that the view goes from rightish to centre so having the scope the the centre would be the best option if you ask me.

DenvH is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #64
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps View Post
blah blah
BF2 is waaaaay to limited in it's ability to portray what is possible IRL. Think about using a rifle for real, your eye will not be glued to your scope and you will have the choice of opening or closing your spare eye. Also, you'd be able to move your head or focus on objects outside of your scopes FOV. You'd have the choice of holding your scope 3 inches from your face or a foot away etc... You expect PR to be able to emulate real life capabilities? Of course you don't but what we have in game now is the best we're gonna get. Go grab a scoped rifle, hold the scope 2-3 inches from your eye and focus on your sight picture. Close your other eye and observe what you see in your peripheral vision. I think what we have in game is pretty good with all the limitations the BF2 has.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #65
Wh33lman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
Maybe you could elaborate on the " funkiness " you feel when pulling up the scope. It just leaves way to much room for imagination without a little clarification.
it seems like when sighting in, the rifle begins moveing up at one speed, stays at that speed 3/4 of the way up, and then snaps the rest of the way. and in that final snap, the blur appers. it just doesnt feel too organic.

Check out my Youtube channel!

Wh33lman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #66
T.A.Sharps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggles View Post
BF2 is waaaaay to limited in it's ability to portray what is possible IRL.I don't think moving the scope to the right of the screen is that crazy. It would keep the "physical Area" you see outside the scope currently, though in a realistic way. Maybe with the 3D scope model it would create a conflict, but I'm not a DEV so I don't know.

Think about using a rifle for real, your eye will not be glued to your scope If its not, then you don't know how to shoot well. IRL. and you will have the choice of opening or closing your spare eye. Also, you'd be able to move your head or focus on objects outside of your scopes FOV. You'd have the choice of holding your scope 3 inches from your face or a foot away etc... You expect PR to be able to emulate real life capabilities?Yes. Of course you don't but what we have in game now is the best we're gonna get.None of what you mentioned is being simulated here, we are simulating aiming down a scope. Also, I don't believe Project Reality nor the DEVs, nor most players on here adhere to the thought that "...what we have in game now is the best we're gonna get."

Go grab a scoped rifle, hold the scope 2-3 inches from your eye and focus on your sight picture. Close your other eye and observe what you see in your peripheral vision. I would suggest to you to do the same. You're vision's FOV is almost entirely taken up with the "picture" of the scope, with a little "blurred" area visible in your peripheral vision. Aiming with one eye. I think what we have in game is pretty good with all the limitations the BF2 has.
This is not about choice of eye preference when you aim.

It is about the field of view of your vision IRL vs currently in game.

"2 eyed aiming" you would "see" a similar blurred Area of outside the scope, though only to the left. With just a little blurred area to the right of the scope.

"1 eyed aiming" means most of your eye's sight would be taken up by the view of the scope and not much around it. Which would basically be the current sight picture, just enlarged because it is too far away from the "player's eye".

EVERYBODY MAKES FUN OF REDNECKS.... UNTIL THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE.
T.A.Sharps is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
scopes