project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
17 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 12:32 PM   #41
ComradeHX

Default Re: 3D Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
I can't visualize or fully understand some of your explanation, but what I think I understand is that you had to sacrifice something in order for everything to look believable. What would it look like if you did make the scope look like the picture I posted?
Engine limitation prevents two different levels of zoom on the same screen.

No "what ifs" on this...

IRL, those sight pictures are believable, I know how bad ACOG eye-relief is and how keeping your face even slightly away from the optic leads to lessened FOV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:05 PM   #42
Dirty Berd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post

No "what ifs" on this...

IRL, those sight pictures are believable, I know how bad ACOG eye-relief is and how keeping your face even slightly away from the optic leads to lessened FOV.
What I was asking about has nothing to do with two zoom levels.
Dirty Berd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #43
Shovel

you can't hate the 3d scopes without hating reality.

just saying.
Shovel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #44
3===SPECTER===3

Quote:

No "what ifs" on this...

This isnt what hes saying. Read carefully. what hes saying is that the internal FOV shouldnt have the black edges around it. Hes not arguing to remove internal FOV, he wants to know if its possible to remove the black edges while keeping the internal FOV at its realistic values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobJeff View Post
you can't hate the 3d scopes without hating reality.

just saying.
this doesn't help in settling the arguement because it has nothing to do with what anybody here is saying. I'm sorry I dont wanna sound like an A-hole, I mean it in the most constructive way.

NOW back on topic. I am not currently able to download the new PR yet, probably this weekend. but from what I've seen from videos and pictures, the "3D scopes" are actually just a 2D texture that is WAY more realistic and accompanied by a nice shader.

Now I could be wrong but this is what I've observed.

Now if you look here, you see how the back of the scope has a texture on it that is black? Well if the sight was truely 3D, then there wouldnt be anything there, making it so that when you aim, you are actually looking through that tube. but even with the update, optics on weapons still have this texture. That means that there must be a 2D texture still there, one that just looks much much better. And also to help prove my hypothesis, when PR switched to 3D iron sights, and aimpoints. they removed that texture on the aimpoint, allowing you to actually look through the aimpoint. thats why I believe the scopes are still 2D, just alot prettier.

Anyway, if im correct, then I think you'd be able to remove that black area, increase the zoom so it still has that realistic internal FOV, and keep the new shader. Now I dont own an ACOG, or even a mock ACOG, so if that black area is realistic then okay. But in theory, (in my head) this should work.... I think.... maybe haha.

I hope this makes sense.

EDIT: I really wanted to get an example of the befores and afters of the "real" 3D scopes

Look at 0:26, that was the M4 w/ aimpoint before 3D iron sights.
YouTube Video

After 3D iron sights, look at 0:30.

YouTube Video

You see how that texture isnt there anymore? allowing you to actually look through the tube.

Damn forgot how to embed, any help on that? heres the links if you want that instead.

first: YouTube - BF2 Project Reality Mod .8 Gameplay Trailer
Seccond: YouTube - Project Reality v0.91 - US Army Small Arms
Last edited by 3===SPECTER===3; 11-04-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #45
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Quote:
NOW back on topic. I am not currently able to download the new PR yet, probably this weekend. but from what I've seen from videos and pictures, the "3D scopes" are actually just a 2D texture that is WAY more realistic and accompanied by a nice shader.

G3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #46
3===SPECTER===3

Im sorry, those pictures might need some explaination behind them. But I'm assuming I'm wrong in my assumption that its still at 2D texture, right? But it was only a hypothesis, either way I thought they looked great from the pictures. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but DankE if you could somewhat explain how it works to me that'd be great.
3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:24 AM   #47
ComradeHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3===SPECTER===3 View Post
Im sorry, those pictures might need some explaination behind them. But I'm assuming I'm wrong in my assumption that its still at 2D texture, right? But it was only a hypothesis, either way I thought they looked great from the pictures. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but DankE if you could somewhat explain how it works to me that'd be great.
Those are the models for the scope you look through once you "zoomed in."

The model changes from the whole gun/scope/textured tube to the hollow tube in the picture above.

Btw, the "black edges" on the inside of the scope is what you get when your eye is away from magnified opticthat are bad(and depending on position of your eye relative to the optic you get funny visions kind of like looking through a microscope but no eyelashes), nothing un-realistic.

The picture posted had a magnified area(inside the scope), in PR the scope is too small on the screen to seem like your "eye" is at the right distance from scope so black circle = realistic.

ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #48
Albatross

The new scopes absolutely rock and take PR too a new level.

love "em

Albatross is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #49
3===SPECTER===3

Quote:
Those are the models for the scope you look through once you "zoomed in."

The model changes from the whole gun/scope/textured tube to the hollow tube in the picture above.

Btw, the "black edges" on the inside of the scope is what you get when your eye is away from magnified opticthat are bad(and depending on position of your eye relative to the optic you get funny visions kind of like looking through a microscope but no eyelashes), nothing un-realistic.

The picture posted had a magnified area(inside the scope), in PR the scope is too small on the screen to seem like your "eye" is at the right distance from scope so black circle = realistic.
Okay thanks for clarification. I was just trying to make sense to the whole argument, there seemed to be some misunderstandings between people. I agree, the scopes are great as is.
3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #50
NArnold48

Just a quick comment, The 3-D scopes are a very nice addition to the realism aspect, it is just a shame that the game engine limits multiple FOVs. Originally I had thought that FH2 had somehow got around this problem, however after checking on this when i had read a few posts on here about the limitations of the BF2 engine, FH2 does the same thing, except less blur. I would personally like to see slightly less blur, and maybe as mentioned with some guns like the M-4, possibly adjust the sight distance to reduce the "black ring" inside the scope. I have shot guns with optics, so I completely understand how the sight picture is now in game and how finicky getting a perfect sight picture can be in real life. Just a little better sight picture is all I wish for. Thanks to the DEVs and keep up the good work.
NArnold48 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
scopes