project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
17 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM   #31
Dirty Berd
Default Re: 3D Scopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Chuc View Post
Entirely possible, but that would defeat the whole purpose of implementing a limited internal FOV.
I must have missed something, what is the point of limiting the internal FOV?
Dirty Berd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #32
[R-DEV]Chuc
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Chuc Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Chuc

Courtesy of [R-CON]nedlands

Quote:
Currently (0.91) the scope reticles take up most of the screen which leads to field of views which are much larger than reality. For instance the ACOG currently in-game has a field of view of approximately 13° in 5:4 and slightly different (+/- 5% by my estimation) in 16:10 and 4:3. In reality the ACOG has a FOV of 7°. Reducing the field of views of the weapons with telescopic sights should help balance them against those without.

I've made some mock-up of the what the magnifications look like with and without the correct FOV. I've also include the default sight pictures for reference.

ACOG TA31RCO (M4)

Specs:
  • Magnification: 4x
  • FOV: 7 degrees
  • FOV @ 100m: 12.23m
Unzoomed view
View with current magnification
View with new magnification
View with new magnification and FOV

SUSAT (L85A2)

Specs:
  • FOV: 10 degrees
  • FOV @ 100m: 17.5m
Unzoomed view

Hensoldt 4x24mm (G3A3)

Specs:
  • FOV: 5 degrees 40'
  • FOV @ 100m: 9.9m
Unzoomed view

ELCAN C79A2 (C7A2)

Specs:
  • Magnification: 3.4x
  • FOV: 8 degrees
  • FOV @ 100m: 14m
Unzoomed view

Leupold Mk.4 LR/T M3 10x40mm (M24 SWS)

Specs:
  • Magnification: 10x
  • FOV: 2.12 degrees
  • FOV @ 100m: 3.7m
Unzoomed view

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Personal Folio -
[R-DEV]Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #33
Dirty Berd

Quote:
Courtesy of [R-CON]nedlands
So basically it was a nerf job.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #34
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

It was a keeping things realistic job, not everything is meant to make things as easy as possible.

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:32 PM   #35
Dirty Berd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]DankE_SPB View Post
It was a keeping things realistic job, not everything is meant to make things as easy as possible.
Quote:
Reducing the field of views of the weapons with telescopic sights should help balance them against those without.
sounds like nerf to me. What kind of scope dose the M40A3 use? Is it the current view in game correct for that scope? I don't own one I'm sure, So don't know.

this is a view through my Leupold 3-9 VARI - X II scope. I would think the military would use something at least as good if not better. No? Not trying to say anyone is wrong, Just wanted someone to give me a simple answer.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #36
3===SPECTER===3

I agree with everything you guys are saying. But I just have a quick question. Are these actually 3D in a sense of the iron sights and red dot aimpoints? Because I was looking at it, and it still looks like its a 2D picture like the old Iron sights, just in a more realistic form. Also, unlike the aimpoints, the lens on the scope is still black textured. so then it couldnt be actually 3D right?
3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #37
DevilDog812
Banned

sorry, mistake post
DevilDog812 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #38
3===SPECTER===3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Berd View Post
sounds like nerf to me.
No, they did it out of realism, but I think as an extra bonus, it will also balance it out. Kinda like killing 2 birds with on stone. At least thats what I got out of it.
3===SPECTER===3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #39
[R-DEV]Chuc
PR:BF2 Developer

Send a message via MSN to [R-DEV]Chuc Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]Chuc

We realise that Berd, however in the compromise between having a realistic internal FOV (in which your picture has proven to us, you can't see much at once in that aperture at that magnification) and representing a semi-believable eye position to the optic and the optic itself, we had to artificially increase the amount of black area inside the scope. This is a good balance point imo.

On the other hand, most optics aside from things that deploy like sniper rifles and deployable weapons have their sight in time nearly halved.

Personal Folio -
[R-DEV]Chuc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
Dirty Berd

Quote:
We realise that Berd, however in the compromise between having a realistic internal FOV (in which your picture has proven to us, you can't see much at once in that aperture at that magnification) and representing a semi-believable eye position to the optic and the optic itself, we had to artificially increase the amount of black area inside the scope. This is a good balance point imo.

On the other hand, most optics aside from things that deploy like sniper rifles and deployable weapons have their sight in time nearly halved.
I can't visualize or fully understand some of your explanation, but what I think I understand is that you had to sacrifice something in order for everything to look believable. What would it look like if you did make the scope look like the picture I posted?

Tags
scopes