project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
18 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
boilerrat

Default IED feedback

Post what you think of IEDs, in 0.9

Base it around
  • Pipebomb IED
  • Artillery IED
  • Availibility
  • Power
  • Number able to be placed
  • The specific kits themselves

Personally, I think ArtyIEDs aren't available enough.

Pipebombs are way too weak, we should be able to carry more.

We could also add more IED types.

Discuss

boilerrat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Lucke189
Supporting Member

Default Re: IED feedback

I agree. Since the pipebomb IED is almost useless now.
Can you even destroy bridges at all with them now? We tried with a lot and it still didn't work.
Lucke189 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
[uBp]Irish

Played fallujah the other day, had a LAV drive right over my IED, and I think at worst it got tracked after it went over a hill and took terrain damage. What was the problem with it before?

[uBp]Irish is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
badmojo420
Supporting Member

I think the combat engineer kits for Hamas and Taliban should get the artillery IED rather than the pipebomb one. And then maybe give one of their spawn kits the pipebomb. But the Taliban and Hamas should have some kind of access to these powerful explosives.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucke189 View Post
I agree. Since the pipebomb IED is almost useless now.
Can you even destroy bridges at all with them now? We tried with a lot and it still didn't work.
The standard IED used with the appearance similar to a pipe bomb is not going to be very deadly against vehicles. They are mainly intended for AP use, not anti-armor or anti-structure. Trying to use one of those against a bridge would be like using a pellet gun to hunt buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [uBp]Irish View Post
Played fallujah the other day, had a LAV drive right over my IED, and I think at worst it got tracked after it went over a hill and took terrain damage. What was the problem with it before?
Again, if you were using the smaller IED, then that is to be expected. While it might blow a tire, those vehicles are designed to sustain tire/wheel damage and keep on rolling. If you were using the larger artillery IED, you'd need to detonate very closely under the target vehicle in order to cause maximum damage. Minor lag in either the driver or insurgent could cause the detonation to actually register early or late when faced with a fast-moving vehicle.

I don't recall what changes have been made regarding the IED's, but the topic was brought up and discussed earlier. Based on input of real-world characteristics of similar devices, the IED's were probably adjusted to be more in line with their actual counterparts.

As for carrying multiple IED's on a single person, that's not usually realistic. Planting an IED is usually done by teams, and one at a time. This limits the chances that the team will be killed trying to deploy the device. Basically, each device is planted by a single team and that team doesn't plant another until the first was either detonated, removed, or the team killed/compromised.

With regards to remote IED's (self-actuated), yes it's possible that teams will deploy multiple devices. But those being used in PR are player-detonated. And in those circumstances, one at a time is the best (most realistic) option.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:17 AM   #6
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The artillery IED does need to be made more available. We kind of made them all realistic to appearance without redoing the kit loadouts (Artillery IED will be far more common in the future).

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
Draakon

Yeah, the pipebomb IED's are much weaker. Iron Ridge, the crossroad after the central bridge coming from the Milita mainbase, i planted 6 IED's under a rock(they are just eye candy there). As a BTR-80 is coming, i am ready to detonate the IED's. When i detonated the IED's, the BTR-80 caught the explosion but was still going onwards with full spead ahead. Not even smoking.
Draakon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #8
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
The artillery IED does need to be made more available. We kind of made them all realistic to appearance without redoing the kit loadouts (Artillery IED will be far more common in the future).
That's a good update note. From what I'd seen before, the arty version was an extremely limited pick-up kit on the Insurgent maps, and was not being used often enough to really be effective. I'm looking forward to seeing more on the battlefield, something to keep drivers on their toes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draakon View Post
Yeah, the pipebomb IED's are much weaker. Iron Ridge, the crossroad after the central bridge coming from the Milita mainbase, i planted 6 IED's under a rock(they are just eye candy there). As a BTR-80 is coming, i am ready to detonate the IED's. When i detonated the IED's, the BTR-80 caught the explosion but was still going onwards with full spead ahead. Not even smoking.
That's not bad thing though. In reality, you could strap those little IED's to the outside of a BTR covering every exterior inch of armor, detonate them all at once, and still do only minimal damage. In fact, the most you'd probably do is piss off the crew inside and maybe give them a bloody nose or serious headache. The vehicle itself would be fine though (scratches, dings, burn marks, chipped paint, etc), even with 100+ going off via direct contact.

Think of it this way. If you took a single M80 firework and compared it with say 100 Black Cats, the M80 is still going to be more damaging. Or imagine firing 500,000 rounds of an AK-47 at an Abrams tank, compared to just a single 120mm Sabot round.

In PR, I suggest using the smaller IED for anti-personnel or unarmored vehicles only, and using the larger IED or VBIED for anti-armor and anti-structure use. That is how they are designed to be deployed.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #9
Lucke189
Supporting Member

Well, I'm glad you're increasing the artillery IED and it makes sense to use the pipebomb for infantry and artilery IED for vehicles.
Lucke189 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
dtacs
Supporting Member

I'd like to see anti-personnel IED's introduced, ones with ball bearings and shrapnel and whatnot wrapped around explosives.

I heard somewhere about a Humvee driving in Iraq, when they stopped for a moment they noticed an IED full of steel balls mounted on the back of a stop sign, designed to go off when they drove past it, imagine that in PR eh?

At the moment the ArtyIED has some awesome damage, great when you can set them off after a cache has been taken out in a revenge tactic, but the pipe bombs just feel useless.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback, ied