project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2017, 09:15 PM   #11
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: SPG Emplacements; Degrees of Rotation?

I agree it takes way too long to turn it for something that could be picked up and set up in less than a minute IRL.

What also needs looking at in my opinion are the depression and elevation angles. The SPG-9 would be at its best when deployed at an elevated position. Currently it's not possible because it has basically zero depression and even a 5-10m hill will make it impossible to fire at anything. In maps like korengal valley its as good as useless because you have to keep delpoying it at different heights to be able to hit different targets.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 PM   #12
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2P1 View Post
What about rotating the spg for a certain amount of degrees up and down with the W and S key? It would give a lot more flexibility in placing the spg on a hilltop or building
Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
I agree it takes way too long to turn it for something that could be picked up and set up in less than a minute IRL.

What also needs looking at in my opinion are the depression and elevation angles. The SPG-9 would be at its best when deployed at an elevated position. Currently it's not possible because it has basically zero depression and even a 5-10m hill will make it impossible to fire at anything. In maps like korengal valley its as good as useless because you have to keep delpoying it at different heights to be able to hit different targets.
We could possibly do something like that and have the rear tripod feet be propped up with breeze blocks or something that emerge/sink into the ground under the feet when you raise/lower the back? Can't say I've found any refs of the weapon actually deployed like this where it is pointing downwards with the rear feet being propped up but have seen a few refs where the entire weapon has been raised on breezeblocks so wouldn't be that far off:

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #13
waldov

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
We could possibly do something like that and have the rear tripod feet be propped up with breeze blocks or something that emerge/sink into the ground under the feet when you raise/lower the back? Can't say I've found any refs of the weapon actually deployed like this where it is pointing downwards with the rear feet being propped up but have seen a few refs where the entire weapon has been raised on breezeblocks so wouldn't be that far off:
Totally agree with these post's. The limited de-elevation on the SPG-9 (which I know is a real life characteristic) doesn't translate to the perfect 90 degree platform it's deployed on in the game. Whereas in real life a SPG-9 could be deployed on a hill with a slight incline or as in Rhino's examples; under some bricks, the in game SPG-9's Y axis is dictated by a perfect 90 degree platform no matter where you place it. Even an extra 15 or 20 degree's of de-elevation would be game changer.

waldov is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:08 AM   #14
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldov View Post
Whereas in real life a SPG-9 could be deployed on a hill with a slight incline or as in Rhino's examples; under some bricks, the in game SPG-9's Y axis is dictated by a perfect 90 degree platform no matter where you place it. Even an extra 15 or 20 degree's of de-elevation would be game changer.
To be fair all the refs I've seen, even when there are blocks used under the feet, the tripod/weapon always appears to be placed level. I'm not totally sure if the weapon can be placed and used on a slope, but can't see why not either, just not seen it in any refs.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #15
Sequadon
Supporting Member

I think the angle is adjustable by tilting the tripod itself.
Last edited by Sequadon; 11-09-2017 at 07:54 AM..
Old 11-09-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequadon View Post
I think the angle is adjustable by tilting the tripod itself.
Yep. The front leg of the tripod is extendable. Extend the front leg for elevation and shorten for depression. All the legs can be turned up/down to achieve different angles.

Open the pictures to see it properly as they're high-res. In the last picture, the groove and locking mechanism of the front leg are clearly visible.

viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #17
PBAsydney

So, make the SPG able to aim significantly higher/lower by using W and S to simulate extending the front tripod leg. Possible solution?
PBAsydney is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
[R-DEV]Rhino
Supporting Member

In all of those refs thou, even when placed on non-level ground, the tripod is still level. That is the bit I'm a bit concerned about as perhaps the tripod, for w/e reason I dunno, can't be placed non-level.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
[R-CON]UTurista
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I'd assume that's because IRL none wants to be sky-lining, they can simple put the SPG behind the hill and be in cover while in game it's a challenge to put the SPG where we want.

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
[R-CON]UTurista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
viirusiiseli
Banned

x
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
In all of those refs thou, even when placed on non-level ground, the tripod is still level. That is the bit I'm a bit concerned about as perhaps the tripod, for w/e reason I dunno, can't be placed non-level.
Indeed, but I also don't see any reason why it wouldn't be possible to place it in such a way.

There was a video where an SPG crew was on the hills in Syria and I think it could've shown them facing it downwards, I'll try to find it.

Meanwhile here's another video

EDIT: Here's one where the SPG is aiming at least slightly downwards, as set up with rocks on a hillside.

Another one, set up facing upwards with the tripod.

Of course this is a possibility too
Last edited by viirusiiseli; 11-09-2017 at 01:26 PM..

Tags
degrees, emplacements, rotation, spg