project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
27 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #1
CommunistComma
Banned
Default No firemode indicator while zoomed

When you zoomed in the weapon the indicator for firemode disappears. Oft times I zoom in to fire at a target a few hundred meters away and fire 3 shots. That's a minor problem compared to when it's the other way around, I go to spray a target and end up firing 1 shot.
The only way to check it is to fire a shot or unzoom.

It's a necessary piece of GUI because there's no other way to determine it ingame. I'm sure IRL soldiers can finger it to figure out what position it's in.
CommunistComma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Arnoldio
Banned
Default Re: No firemode indicator while zoomed

True, it should be made so, if possible.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Spook
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

I have this problem everytime I play. Would be so much win, if it would be shown while zoomed in.

its lways the same, you crouch through urban environment, zoomed in, ready to shoot anything that comes around the corner, then you remember, "shit! am I on auto or semi?" you zoom-out, check the firemode and some guy comes around and sprays you down while most of your shots don't hit him, since you are not zoomed in and distracted

The Official PR Tournament is open for all players,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to join!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spook is online now Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
ComradeHX

Well, in real life you also cannot see the selector position while aiming down the sights.

ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
fillsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeHX View Post
Well, in real life you also cannot see the selector position while aiming down the sights.
What? just what...?

As a trained soldier, I'm pretty sure you'd know in what position the selector should be in for which firing mode. Even if you don't see it.
Do you look down at the shift stick every time you shift gear in a car?
Last edited by fillsson; 06-04-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Old 06-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Joker86

Quote:
Fillsson is right - you can simply FEEL in which position your fire selector is, no need to look at it while doing so.

Unless people start to create weapons with buttons and a screen showing you the firing mode, you will always be able to feel the position of the selector, never mind which shape it has.

And as the fire selector usually is located close to the trigger of your weapon, I would be against any other solution, which has any negative effects while checking the fire mode, like lower precision or being unable to fire or the like. Just display it all the time.
Joker86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
ComradeHX

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillsson View Post
What? just what...?

As a trained soldier, I'm pretty sure you'd know in what position the selector should be in for which firing mode. Even if you don't see it.
Do you look down at the shift stick every time you shift gear in a car?
Yeah, so you are supposed to remember what selector position you have IN GAME as well...

At least you will fire something when left clicking because firearms in-game lacks safety...

Maybe people should be trained to remember which firing mode they have instead of having more stuff to look at in corner of screen WHILE looking down the sights.

ComradeHX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
LongHairedHuman

I set it by default on semi, and auto when I enter a building. Always works, and you'll do it automatically after a while.

LongHairedHuman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
fillsson

Quote:
Yeah, so you are supposed to remember what selector position you have IN GAME as well...
I'm talking about feeling the selector on your gun. What position it is in, not remembering what you set it to previously.
fillsson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Joker86

Quote:

[...]

Maybe people should be trained to remember which firing mode they have instead of having more stuff to look at in corner of screen WHILE looking down the sights.
Why should they be trained? Not even in real life you need to remember which fire mode you are in, because you can feel it. A lot of guns even have fire selectors and visual indicators to show you which fire mode it is in or whether it is cocked/loaded or not.

I agree that you should remember the rounds you have in your magazine, because you need to do so in real life as well. But as we said, the fire selecotr can always be touched without even looking at it, and you know it. Aiming or not.

And by the way, you can even change your fire mode while aiming ingame, but you the game doesn't give you any feedback how it felt like. But to switch firemode you need to know in which direction, and if you know in which direction you know the fire mode.

So please, implement something which helps recognizing the fire mode. The fact that there is nothing to tell the player is neither a feature (!) nor a bug, just an oversight. I would say.

If you don't like the average 1/B/A display you have usually, change the "aiming" display to something else. How about a stylized display of the selector position? One longer arrow for the barrel and the gun in general, another, smaller line for the fire selector.

For example:

The upper figure symbolizes semi, the lower full auto/burst. (depends whether Insurgent M4 or BLUFOR AR-15-weapon)
Edit: I made a mistake there. The line on the lower figure should point to the left side, not the right side. What I have drawn there is a saved weapon.

The upper figure symbolizes full auto, the lower semi.

As you can see, the pictures are totally different, and you need to know how the fire selector for the weapon looks like to be able to tell the fire mode without looking at the weapon. This way the player would be forced to learn the weapons, but not remind the fire mode all the time. I think this would be a nice compromise.a
Joker86 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
firemode, indicator, zoomed