project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
21 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #21
KingKong.CCCP

Default Re: No firemode indicator while zoomed

My two cents...

Firemode indicator on the screen is completely unnecessary altogether, so put fire mode indicator on SCROLL/NUM LOCK leds on the keyboard!.
Remove it completely from the screen, together with the annoying HUD. Make Project Reality more real.
I personally would like to see on my screen only and nothing else but what a soldier can see with his own eyes.
KingKong.CCCP is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #22
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKong.CCCP View Post
My two cents...

Firemode indicator on the screen is completely unnecessary altogether, so put fire mode indicator on SCROLL/NUM LOCK leds on the keyboard!.
Remove it completely from the screen, together with the annoying HUD. Make Project Reality more real.
I personally would like to see on my screen only and nothing else but what a soldier can see with his own eyes.
Sight is only one of many senses used in the real world. In reality you can feel, smell, hear, and even taste the environment and use that sensory feedback to know what's going on around you. But in the game world, you are stuck with a small fixed screen, usually only a 2.1 speaker system or "simulated surround" headphones, and your keyboard/mouse. The on-screen UI is necessary in a gaming environment in order to simulate those things that you are unable to see, hear, or feel.

It's good to keep the UI simple and small enough that it doesn't intrude too much, but it's still needed. And as long as the UI is limited to providing only the feedback that a person would normally be able to obtain from his senses, then I see no problem with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
pr|Zer0

If on AR/M16 you can feel the selector, on AK you look at it before you aim. This is how things are done by trained soldiers, plus they are ALWAYS put the weapon on semi when ready to fire(selector all the way down).
A simple "A" or "S" somewhere on the screen should do the job.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
pr|Zer0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #24
CommunistComma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doop-de-doo View Post
Thank you for creating this thread.

I don't know how many times I've died because I had to unscope to check which fire mode I was.
IKR. I'm just hoping somebody in charge of something shows up and chimes in instead of just Sgt. Milsim, so this issue can be addressed.
CommunistComma is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
CopyCat

Or depending on the map and your experience you put the fire mode you think will be needed in most cases - For example I always have Automatic/Burst fire on for any scenario where I might bump into enemy toe to toe, and then most of the times on long range fire fights where either you spot enemy or he spots you, you switch over to single for to fire. Basically usually I don't know what about you guys but I usually remember the fire mode I have. No problems...

/CC
CopyCat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
KiloJules

1. As far as I can tell we kinda agreed on the possibility to feel to selected firemode IRL.

2. The firemode indicator in game is super small. It is/it would be in an area which you usually do not look while aiming, so it shouldn't really be a problem/obstrusive/disturbing.

3. ???

4. Please integrate it - for the realism - as it, like Ninja2dan said, widens your in game horizon and brings it up to reality.
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #27
MrTomRobs

I'm going to have to agree with keeping it off the screen i'm afraid, for the simple fact that a good soldier always knows his weapon's condition. Whenever i've been on training, or done weapons handling tests, good practice has always been this (on an L85, which is another point i'll point out in a sec):

Magazine in -> SELECTOR LEVER TO R(epetition) -> Iron sights set to day-time aperture if they're used -> arm over and cock the weapon -> forward assist.

This is a simple drill that is etched into the skull of every bloke/blokette(?) in the british forces at least whenever they use an L85. They're also told not to change their selector lever unless told otherwise by squad/section leaders, which is usually when in FIBUA (Fighting In Built-Up Areas) or in CQB. the rest of the time, the selector lever is always at repetition.

Whilst i can only talk from my experiences, i'd imagine the same is true for american forces?

I've also got a little gripe with the two examples that have been used saying you can feel the selector lever. Yes, on the AR-15 you can feel it, because it is integral to the safety mechanism. Yes, on the AK series, you can see/feel where it is because it is integral to the safety mechanism.

On other weapons, especially the L85, the safety mechanism and the repetition mechanism are separated. Indeed, on the '85, the safety 'catch' is located right at the top of the hand guard, right next to the trigger guard, so the user can simply lift his finger and press if in if he wants his weapon on safe. The repetition selector is pretty much on the other end of the weapon, right next to the magazine housing. In order for him to feel or see where the selector lever is set to on this weapon, he would have to take his left hand off the weapon and try and feel for where it is (which means he's not in total control of his weapon, accuracy suffers etc etc), or he would have to physically look at it, which means he's not looking either down his sights so he can shoot at what he sees if necessary, or he's looking where he's going and Timmy, Tommy and Terry Taliban come around the corner and shove a bayonet through is face. Not pretty.

I think that having the fire-mode selector when you're not ADS, and not having it when you are is a good solution which gives the best of both worlds.

'There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those who can't.'

Gwlad! Gwlad! Pleidiol wyf i'm Gwlad!
MrTomRobs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #28
Joker86

Not everyone is a trained soldier, and in reality your brain works differently and you have different focuses than while playing a game...
Joker86 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #29
[R-DEV]AfterDune
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

The firemode indicator will be displayed in v1.0. It's a tiny A/1/3 in the bottom-right corner, should be fine.

As a soldier or whatever, you can still feel the switch so even if you don't know, you can check without having to actually look at it. Seeing the indicator on your screen will do that for you in-game.

That's all for now.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #30
KiloJules

Good news.

As it seems v1.0 is gonna be da' shizz!
KiloJules is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
firemode, indicator, zoomed