project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 03:33 AM   #11
illidur
Default Re: PR-Deviation is Backwards

so... shoot, tap W, then shoot again instantly accurate 24/7 the idea is good, but gameplay wise its not so good.
illidur is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Mikemonster

In what situation do you ever fire standing up in PR?

The issue is null and void in my opinion because the only time you actually do it is when there's a wall in front of you ..

It's still less accurate than firing whilst crouched - the issue is already fixed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps View Post
... or does it make more sense to spray an entire mag of bullets in the other's general direction, bullets landing everywhere, and only 1 or 2 hitting a target 10 meters away? In a game where CQB is supposedly modeled.
Is that sarcasm? Or are you serious that you can only hit 1 or 2 rounds out of 30 on a 10m target? Is that full auto hip firing on the move?

It just seems like you're over-exaggerating the CQB difficulty to make your suggestion sound better.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
LieutenantNessie
Banned

Deviation doesn't ever bother me. I like it this way that the bullet actually goes where you aim if you just are a bit patient.

Also, I hardly ever even notice the deviation so much, everything to about 60 meters goes pretty nice straight without letting the deviation to settle
LieutenantNessie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Tarranauha200

I think its there becoase in long range firefights it takes time to adjust for the distance and wind.
Just my opinion.

In CQB this would be good. Now the winning tactic of CQB is to spray n pray with unscoped LMG.
Last edited by Tarranauha200; 12-10-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Old 12-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #16
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

I think you might be missing the point of deviation and settle times. It also sounds like what you are asking as not possible within the game engine, but we'd need a coder to step up and answer that one.

Basically, as far as I understand it, the deviation/settle time system is meant to replicate reality in the sense that you don't carry your weapon in the "ready/up" position while moving. It takes time to pull that weapon up to your shoulder, rest your cheek on the stock, aim down the sight, catch your breath, fight off the adrenaline surge, and get your muscles to actually steady enough to keep your target under the sights.

The settle times are then put in place to replicate that cycle, due to the fact in part because there is no long animation sequence to cover it. And because BF2 lacks a real weapon sway, with your weapon usually always pointing perfectly center, the deviation system is in place to replicate such sway. Deviation settles after a few seconds to simulate all of the above.

What you're asking does make sense in a realistic manner, but in order to do so in the BF2 engine would require coding of multiple settle times and deviation levels. First, you'd have to use the system already in place, and then you'd need an "unsettle" timer and opposite deviation change when the weapon is held on target beyond a certain amount of time (based on weapon type/weight). It would also have to take into account the specific weapon being used, the stance of the operator, and the terrain he's on. Obviously firing from a supported position, which can include resting your weapon on the hood of a car or a window sill, would not cause muscle fatigue.

As for someone trying to hold a weapon steady while standing for an extended period, chances are it's not a concern. You'll most likely be gunned down or blown up for your stupidity before your muscles start to tire. Not to mention the fact that any "sniper" who tries firing from a standing unsupported position at a distanced target (aka non-CQB) deserves to have his nutsack implode.

[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #17
lukeyu2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.A.Sharps View Post
Also, to this guy.....

Chill out Rambo...

Go pick up a bull barreled Remington 700, with a scope and mount that weigh a few pounds on there own, and 5 rounds of .308 cartridges a tell me how long you can hold the cross hairs on a egg at 100 yards from the offhand position.

Come back on here and tell us how you did.
This guy has a point.
I've tried holding a bb gun G3 perfectly still from a crouching position and it's impossible. Not perfectly still.
If it were real i'll still be a threat to anything within 200m but not perfectly still.

But anyway i think the current deviation system is fine.

At long range fire fights it makes sense so no quick scopers. And In real life you see a target take a deep breath and then shoot.

In cqb i find the deviations actually help.
Since it's so quick and fast the chances that you've got your gun perfectly trained on what you want to hit is relatively low. So even if you aren't perfectly aiming at him due to deviations you'll hit him anyway.

Which kinda simulates spraying and praying which works great in real life cqb
Last edited by lukeyu2005; 12-11-2011 at 04:14 AM..
Old 12-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
Mikemonster

Plus real life doesn't have 60 milliseconds lag (just 10 if you're using your eyes to fire, not sound ).

But nobody mentioned my point, when on earth do you fire standing up in PR and there isn't something that in real life you would rest it on?

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
badmojo420
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemonster View Post
Plus real life doesn't have 60 milliseconds lag (just 10 if you're using your eyes to fire, not sound ).

But nobody mentioned my point, when on earth do you fire standing up in PR and there isn't something that in real life you would rest it on?
One example would be when firing over a small hill across an open field. Like in Al Basrah village/fields area west of the city.
badmojo420 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
Dev1200

In firefights you would have to keep zooming in and out in order to regain accuracy.

You're on the right track, but this isn't a proper fix.

Btw, ARMA2 already has something like this. Weapon sway is impossible in BF2 (real weapon sway, not FH2, which just moves the weapon to make it look like it's moving, but it really isn't). But Deviation isn't the culprit to this "error".

Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
backwards, prdeviation