project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
01 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
drs79
Supporting Member

Default Some General Feedback - Vehicles and Air Assets/Laser Designation

I wish the option to lase your own target with the gunships, maybe even the same way as the A-10 AGM Missiles lock onto a target.

Pilots should also have the ability to laser designate their own targets, or have a script that the AGM only locks onto a enemy target that has previously been lased (if the laser designator time expires before the plane arrives on scene).

The AAVP is a neat vehicle except it overheats too quickly and maybe there should be an optional right click machine gun (much like the LAV), or keep the load out as is and put a machine gun turret in the cupola or the rear like is seen on the M1A2.

Those are somethings that have popped into my head.

NYR
NYS EMT-B - Working in Yonkers NY which is a mix of Camden and Baltimore
TMFD Volunteer Firefighter
New York State Certified Hazardous Materials Technician

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/CENTER]
drs79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Some General Feedback - Vehicles and Air Assets/Laser Designation

Quote:
I wish the option to lase your own target with the gunships, maybe even the same way as the A-10 AGM Missiles lock onto a target.
to what end? they can hit their own targets...or do you mean the huey gunship?

Quote:
The AAVP is a neat vehicle except it overheats too quickly and maybe there should be an optional right click machine gun (much like the LAV), or keep the load out as is and put a machine gun turret in the cupola or the rear like is seen on the M1A2.
afaik IRL you select GMG or 50cal, you cant fire both at the same time

never seen a picture of a MG on the rear of the AAV...

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON

lazes do expire quite quickly, and if its possible an extension on the expiration time would be nice
FLAP_BRBGOING2MOON is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
drs79
Supporting Member

@Rudd
- the option of lasing for fixed wing aircraft and rotor wing aircraft (The previous release had attack helos being able to lase targets but it was taken out due to it not working properly right).

If a target is laser designated via the gltd, the lase should stick on the target until it
a) goes out of visual range of the player laser designating it.

b) when the player moves the binocs away from the target it is lazing.

c) if the target is lazed, and a fixed or rotor wing aircraft has a lock, the small square box could change to the larger rectangular box so the SL or Sniper can then move his binocs and laser designate another target.

Addendum to initial post:

Increase of hydra rockets on Kiowa's (14-20), Attack helos (25).

Decrease the flare output for helos (I believe it's around 5 or 6 flares when you activate them?): Suggestion Four flares with increment of 10.

^ I don't fly that much, it's odd for me to even suggest/give feedback for air units but recently I have been trying to practice a lot!! And these are somethings ive noticed recently.

NYR

[/CENTER]
Last edited by drs79; 04-16-2011 at 01:02 AM..
Old 04-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
drs79
Supporting Member

@Rudd - my mistake about the AAVP-7. I confused my suggestion with a LVPT picture that had what looked like an external mini gun modified on the Right side towards the rear.

NYR

[/CENTER]
drs79 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs79 View Post
@Rudd
If a target is laser designated via the gltd, the lase should stick on the target until it
a) goes out of visual range of the player laser designating it.

b) when the player moves the binocs away from the target it is lazing.

c) if the target is lazed, and a fixed or rotor wing aircraft has a lock, the small square box could change to the larger rectangular box so the SL or Sniper can then move his binocs and laser designate another target.
as I understand it, the laser box is just a sticky projectile, think of it like special C4 fired over long range. Because of this I don't think its possible for a) or b) (or is there something in vbf2 that you can drop that disappears when you're Xm away?) C is also undoable afaik, and I wouldn't want that anyway since IRL you're meant to constantly lase a target until the boom afaik, we cant get that system perfect, but its as perfect as it will get imo in this engine.

the best method is to call the strike, then lase when you see the aircraft has started its approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs79 View Post
Addendum to initial post:

Increase of hydra rockets on Kiowa's (14-20), Attack helos (25).

Decrease the flare output for helos (I believe it's around 5 or 6 flares when you activate them?): Suggestion Four flares with increment of 10.
I don't know anythnig about hydra rocket numbers etc, but please support your suggestion with a source for this kind of thing mate. You're post is well written apart from that missing info.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Psyko

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rudd View Post
as I understand it, the laser box is just a sticky projectile, think of it like special C4 fired over long range. Because of this I don't think its possible for a) or b) (or is there something in vbf2 that you can drop that disappears when you're Xm away?)
smoke grenade canister

Thanks for all the hard work PR team!
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Stoickk

I don't think I like the idea of the attack choppers lasing their own targets. I guess it is a good thing that it doesn't work with the engine. However, I would love it if there were a way for the Kiowas (or equivalent scout class choppers) to lase targets. I do know that the Kiowa is used in this manner in real life, providing laser designation for precision strikes. This would add some variety to the scout class chopper (and give the copilot something else to do with those thermals) instead of having an extra CAS gunship. I will edit this and post a source if need be, and if it is a workable idea. I don't know if it would run into the same issues as the attack choppers lasing their own targets, since the lase would be coming from a different platform.

<<<WARNING: VETERAN UNDER MEDICATION FOR YOUR SAFETY>>>

Just some guy.

Stoickk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
[R-DEV]Rudd
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykogundam View Post
smoke grenade canister
isn't that a culldistance, not causing it to disappear because the player has walked away? its still there in the game world for others nearby to see?

Old 04-16-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Mikemonster

(Sorry for OT, may be of some interest though).

Rudd you're right, Laser Guided Bombs rely on the targeting lazer being pointed at the target. They are effectively dumb bombs but with guidance that seeks the laze. If the laze is turned off, they just stay in freefall with no further correction of their course.

IRL, when dropped from a fast jet from altitude, they only really need the target to be lazed for the last 20 seconds of flight. (In this way it is also possible to ripple fire several of them at different targets).

Really, LGB's are yesterday's tech. But they are useful in Afghanistan because unlike smart weapons with inertial and GPS guidance, they can be called off if the target is erronious or the situation changes whilst the bomb is in flight.

Mikemonster is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
air, assets or laser, designation, feedback, general, vehicles