project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
02 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
-Prowler-

Question Chinook, hard to fly?

I am stilll pretty new to PR, so excuse me if this seems ignorant.

I have always loved flying heli's in BF2, and of course wanted to do the same in PR. I started flying and I have come a long way in my opinion, I have even trusted myself enough to start transporting squads online. The only Heli i have had any real trouble with is the damn Chinook! Why is it so god damn hard to fly.. I get up alright, I can fly around, BUT I always have to be on the damn thing in order to not lose control. I have only made a handfull of succcesful ladnings in the thing, where as the Huey for example, I can land it every time.

So my question is, why is so hard to fly? Is it being worked on? Or am I just failing at an epic level on flying the damned thing...It's my understanding that it's decently new to the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at."
Last edited by -Prowler-; 03-24-2010 at 07:22 PM..
Old 03-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Chinook, hard to fly?

I think it's one of the easier ones to fly. Handles very smooth and is quite responsive for it's size.

Just remember it's long as hell, so make sure you have enough clearance when landing, and don't go in too fast/steep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zrix is online now Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Smith[EEF]

i think your problems is that your are too used to the helicopter to having skids over wheels, wheels make the chopper slide alot more when you land meaning it almost always has to be flat(ish) to land the chinook
Smith[EEF] is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Its fine to fly, the main downside is visibility, i.e you cant see much around you out the cockpit so clear the pad before landing.

Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
Freedom

I usually touch down with the back wheels first and gently push forward to put the front part of the Chinook down always works for me. Also if your flying into tight areas that may also be a problem. Try landing near fields about 100m out from where the squad wants dropped off.

I'll be waiting, while you'll be looking
Freedom is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Hitman.2.5

You support good grammar but the start of your sentence XD

The Chinook is imo easy to fly i mean you just gotta plan your LZ and your approach and your all good.
Plus of course you have to be on the chopper to fly it or else it wouldn't fly...

one more thing i wouldn't say your failing on an epic scale your just learning, these things sometimes take time and then not everyone can fly on this game.

Derpist
Hitman.2.5 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
AnimalMother.

the chinook is both a joy and a pain to fly, and is imo one of the most unique helicopters in PR

what you need is practice, practice, practice you get the idea.

reading your post it isn't so much the flying part thats the issue but the landing.

on yamalia this isn't too much of an issue as alot of the flags are near the flat parts which allow you to come in fast and just roll to a stop near the required drop off point.

if you need to come into a dense wooded part or near some uneven terrain the one thing that must be done is to kill speed. I use M&K for choppers, and with every other chopper (especially the huey) to stop on the deck just requires you to get a nice angle and stop pressing w. what i've found with the chinook is that this approach generally just propells you forward into enemy trees and buildings, as even when you feel like it's gonig slow the counter is still at around 100 km/h

simple thing is to tap s to bring it down and upon landing hold s, with practice you'll know how much to 'tap' as over doing it can have some other unwanted effects (you wont be propelled into the enemy trees or buildings, but chances are loss of power and weird movements towards enemy road/hill)

take what you want of my somewhat kak advice

just practice! and it'll all come into place.

|TG-31st|

vistamaster01: "I just dont get people with girl usernames/pics/sigs lol,
for example I thought AnimalMother was a girl
"

Arte et Marte
AnimalMother. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
Narco

Assuming that it is the rolling on landing you are having trouble with. When you reach your LZ, kill ALL speed. IE, dont land at 50 - 100 km/h, land at around 10-20 km/h and preferably with your back wheels first. Then you wont roll forward.

Narco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to sweedensniiperr Send a message via Yahoo to sweedensniiperr Send a message via Skype™ to sweedensniiperr

i don't think it's hard to FLY only to land imo (but i'm quite the noob)

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
[R-MOD]BabylonCome
Forum Moderator
Project Reality Beta Tester
Supporting Member

Agreed - it is about the easiest and most enjoyable chopper to fly in PR - admittedly it can be hard to land but only because of the visibility from the cockpit - otherwise due to it's length and having wheels, you can pretty much put it down anywhere that isn't past about 5% gradient. Landing it like a jet on a runway and then keeping the throttle on and taking off again like a jet is just so much fun to do.....

Have you tried adjusting your sensitivity of your controls - e.g. I normally set my mouse sensitivity to 1.4 in the control options (default is 4.0 I think) with inverted on of course. I then adjust the mouse DPI according to which aircraft I am in, the more sluggish ones get a higher dpi and the more agile ones a lower dpi - works for me...

Rusty In Places -
[R-MOD]BabylonCome is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
chinook, fly, hard