project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
20 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #11
Aleon
Default Re: Distribution of heavy assets over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
I didn't suggest more assets at any point.
I worded that poorly, I refer to the current maps as "having more assets with slower respawn" compared to what I'd suggest we do.

I agree with the rest. But until others share this view, we're stuck with an abundance of heavy assets, that I'd like to at least make more enjoyable.

Aleon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #12
CAS_ual_TY
PR Server License Administrator

My 2 cents:

- Once this delayed spawn system is in, adding an initial spawn delay of lets say 1 or 2 min will already make a huge difference and gives inf more time to deploy

- Less assets are not necessarily the best way, all times. Lets say you have a CAS dominated map, 2 vs 2 strike fighters. Adding an ASF jet to both sides will increase the amount of assets but reduce the chance of an asset surviving that can severly damage the ground (with bombs etc.).

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAS_ual_TY View Post
- Less assets are not necessarily the best way, all times. Lets say you have a CAS dominated map, 2 vs 2 strike fighters. Adding an ASF jet to both sides will increase the amount of assets but reduce the chance of an asset surviving that can severly damage the ground (with bombs etc.).
More than 2 jets a side on PR simply turns into constant air combat. Jets are supposed to be CAS, not this 1.0 cancer of simply dogfighting for a whole round because there's 8 jets a map.

The modified runways already make it difficult enough to provide good CAS, the abundance of jets make it even worse.

If you only want dogfighting might as well go play Falklands VW. ASF jets should be removed entirely IMO. They're nothing but a purposeless 12 ticket waste to the rest of the 90 players. They have no real role in this game in anything other than air combat VW.
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
CAS_ual_TY

CAS_ual_TY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #15
happygoogleboy

I'm with viirus, less tanks on 4k maps, longer respawn on apcs on muttrah.
happygoogleboy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 05:25 AM   #16
=MeRk= BluFFeR
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to =MeRk= BluFFeR Send a message via Skype™ to =MeRk= BluFFeR

Is it possible to have a increasing spawn time? Would the game accept it?

I.e Respawn starts at 20 mins, every time the asset is lost the respawn increases by increments of 5 minutes? No idea if something like this would work or is even possible in the game, just a thought.

The assets need to be more valuable, a lot more valuable, and punishment for wasting them needs to be harsh, maybe then rampaging in at the start maybe a thing of the past, this would increase gameplay, maybe even make asset drivers and gunners move and work with their infantry rather than a solo squad doing their own thing.
Having infantry around you cuts the chance of a LAT up the arse by ten fold.
Last edited by =MeRk= BluFFeR; 12-30-2017 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Bad spelling on a shit IPhone
Old 12-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
Frontliner
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by =MeRk= BluFFeR View Post
Is it possible to have a increasing spawn time? Would the game accept it?

I.e Respawn starts at 20 mins, every time the asset is lost the respawn increases by increments of 5 minutes? No idea if something like this would work or is even possible in the game, just a thought.
Alon keeps telling me to not underestimate the engine, but I don't think that's possible.

It wouldn't prevent a lot of tanks and CAS from being wasted; save for a couple of maps they only spawn in after 20 minutes, then you spent 5 minutes driving into enemy territory, "waste" them, and then after another 20 minutes of waiting time, you spent another 2 minutes driving into enemy territory now I'm at 47 minutes and that's usually game over on a map that has tanks. Whether or not I add 5 more minutes somewhere has not really an impact.

The thought is more interesting for the APCs; if these were to spawn in later with every iteration(10 minutes, then 15, then 20), that would be really good. Vehicle recovery would be much more important, currently you might as well blow the shitter up yourself if it gets tracked.
The bad thing about implementing this suggestion however is that this is pretty much the only class that is going to see an increased spawn timer:

Trucks and Logis -> please no
Jeeps-> ehhhhh, I don't really think so, no
Shitboxes -> They don't do a whole lot anyways. After the initial rollout they are just meme vehicles.
Tanks-> On most maps the generally expected ticket drain during an average pub round with equally incompetent teams allows them to be wasted only once or twice already
CAS-> Same as with the tanks, really
AA -> Counterpiece to CAS. If CAS isn't touched, neither is this

Leaves only Scout vehicles, APCs and IFVs.

Quote:
The assets need to be more valuable, a lot more valuable, and punishment for wasting them needs to be harsh, maybe then rampaging in at the start maybe a thing of the past, this would increase gameplay, maybe even make asset drivers and gunners move and work with their infantry rather than a solo squad doing their own thing.
The rampaging at the start will not stop. The increased spawn timer is a drawback, yes, but it will not really be perceived as such as it is NOT a punishment for rushing, it is an attribute added to >insert vehicle class here<.

And vehicles are already valuable, losing them drains your team of very specific capabilities. Why else would the better players go for the enemy assets first if there isn't a real punishment to them?
It is just that they are too easily dispatched by just about anything to make the punishment any harder a sensible solution as we still want to allow players to play the way they like. The circumstances when vehicles are lost vary greatly from intentional waste, to "ignored a mark TOW on the map", to mines put outside your mainbase, to sneaky LATs ambushing, to Breachers C4-ing when surrounded by friendlies you can have just about anything. To create a distinct punishments for all of these is hard, but when it comes to writing this in code, free of bugs, is downright impossible.

Quote:
LUL

ArkUTD: Do note this issue was resolved by the admin team and mats, thus this was closed
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: that's like 5% holocaust there
Frontliner is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #18
Allahu Akbar

Tanks can be balanced by faster-deploying ATGM and/or fast-respawning ATGM vehicles.
ATGM-vehicles(and/or some IFVs) should have had even quicker respawn time post-ATGMnerf.

CAS can be dealt with by faster-respawning missile-only vehicles, because anything with a rapid-firing HE gun will be used on infantry.

Muttrah APC should have been fixed by forcing thermal smokes.
Allahu Akbar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:27 AM   #19
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
In my experience, it does not. I get a bunch of kills and don't die too often, and it's because I don't stay near friendly inf. It's better if you stay as far as possible in an open area with good visibility, rather than clumped in the city/forest where its easy to get flanked. But yes, I believe when crews actually start feeling the penalty of losing an asset through more limitations on the assets, the tactics will eventually change towards less rushing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
The rampaging at the start will not stop.
You're right, it wont stop right away at least, as there will always be crews willing to risk it all.

But with 20min spawn time on tanks, IFVs and better APCs, along with less assets in maps than currently, if your team kills the rushing asset, they will be at a much better situation for the next 20 minutes than the opposing team. In this situation, killing an asset actually has an effect on the result of the round like it should be.

Eventually, through the realization that you can't fuck up with your asset or your team loses, the tactics will change later on.
Last edited by viirusiiseli; 12-30-2017 at 11:32 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #20
FFG
Project Reality Beta Tester

I agree with the reduction on maps like Khami, Burning etc.

I think Kashan is the only map that benefits from having more assets, as it becomes less effective to farm inf on bunkers due to the lower count of INF in the bunkers itself.

But I do heavily miss the 10 wait time for assets to spawn the first time around. made people actually prepare for CAS instead of turning their brain off and forgetting about it because it takes too long to remember to prepare for it.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
assets, distribution, heavy, time