project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
20 Sep 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Default Helicopter physics

Starting from 1.4.15, i've decided to start playing with helicopter physics.
Instead of full rework only chinook(no bias here hehe ) been updated to new variant for collecting feedback before updating rest of choppers.

Main point of change is heavily increased gravity and reduced wings force - helicopters will fall out of sky faster regardless of input.

This hold few purposes:
  • Decreased dive effectiveness for CAS(in future). It will allow less time for cas being on target in dive.
  • Decreased dive effectiveness for trans. During diving, helicopters will loose a lot more altitude than they gain speed from it. Flying straight will be most fastest way and most energy efficient.
  • Decreased horizontal speed modifier - this change will allow helicopters save more energy in flight and they will stop a bit slower.
  • Remove ability for helicopters to fly upside down in some cases.
  • Remove python server-side check for helicopters being upside down.

[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo is online now Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
viirusiiseli

Default Re: Helicopter physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
tl;dr
You keep trying to make jets and helicopters realistic, and gameplay will continue to show you, it will not work for this game.

viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
tl;dr
In a no way this engine will allow me to make them fully realistic, i know it from jets edits, and gameplay > realism after all.

Speaking from gameplay wise, currently helicopters suffer a lot from lack of speed. Previous nerf back in time were caused by reducing horizontal speed modifier coupled with strong wings(those were done even earlier in pr time to simulate gravity on helicopters), as it's allowed to do stupid things like flying upsidedown while getting altitude. While nerfing railway-like flying which allowed to do so it's effectively reduced horizontal speed for helis aswell.

What's different in my approach is that i'm using gravity modifier for helicopters - those allows me to remove wings which been used for pushing down helicopters at speed, and get proper helicopters horizontal speed back without worrying about abusing upsidedown flights.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Psyrus

If it makes the helicopters a bit more survivable in general, I'm all for it. Buffing AA is good and all but the careful pilots (those who work to avoid AA) shouldn't be sitting ducks with very slow and cumbersome flight models. I like the look of what you're doing
[R-DEV]Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #5
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Some quick unrealistic edits

Old 08-20-2017, 03:18 AM   #6
anantdeathhawk

Reminded me of this!
Close enough.
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 AM   #7
Jagira

Reminded me of this!
Last edited by [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo; 08-20-2017 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: edited for tube
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
DogACTUAL

Like the effort you put into this. If it makes the flight model more authentic and closer to the real thing i am all for it. And of course helicopters have to be fast again.

But since diving is a legitimate thing with real helicopters, could you please make sure it will still be effective? Especially for light attack helicopters with unguided munitions that pretty much have to rely on diving to be effective.

One big criticism:

In your big effort to make flying upside down not possible, you snuck in some changes in recent updates. These changes went way overboard and led to many helicopters not being able to make a looping or hard evasive manouvers involving loopings.

When you do those normal manouvers that real helicopters can do and that are hardly comparable to flying upside down your helicopter gets damaged or disabled quite often now.
Helicopters should be able to do those manouvers without getting damaged or disabled because it is authentic and a useful tactic.

Can you please take a look at this and fix it?
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:21 AM   #9
[R-CON]UTurista
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Source that diving, doing barrel rolls and loops are a real tactic?

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
[R-CON]UTurista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #10
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Like the effort you put into this. If it makes the flight model more authentic and closer to the real thing i am all for it. And of course helicopters have to be fast again.

But since diving is a legitimate thing with real helicopters, could you please make sure it will still be effective? Especially for light attack helicopters with unguided munitions that pretty much have to rely on diving to be effective.
Nothing will change here except that helicopters will be faster and won't loose speed if pilots will try to abuse torque decrease as it's now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
One big criticism:

In your big effort to make flying upside down not possible, you snuck in some changes in recent updates. These changes went way overboard and led to many helicopters not being able to make a looping or hard evasive manouvers involving loopings.

When you do those normal manouvers that real helicopters can do and that are hardly comparable to flying upside down your helicopter gets damaged or disabled quite often now.
Helicopters should be able to do those manouvers without getting damaged or disabled because it is authentic and a useful tactic.

Can you please take a look at this and fix it?
The whole point of new physics is to remove upside down check from server-side code, pleasing both server and pilots.

Tags
helicopter, physics, physiscs