project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
23 Sep 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #31
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Default Re: Helicopter physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by viirusiiseli View Post
It is an old game and everyone understands it, jet/heli physics don't need to be anywhere near realistic, it just needs to work for gameplay.

I and a lot of other people in this thread seem to think that 0.98 heli/jet physics worked really well for this game. Why fix something that isn't broken?
As much as i loved 0.9x helis physics, i've never considered it's good and it's were only a matter of time when it would be nerfed properly. Unfortunately, quick dirty fixes around ~1.2-1.3 didn't achieved that fully but rather made gameplay unpleasant for both sides(helis slow, but still can bvr dive).
What i am trying to achieve here is to make it good for both sides, increasing helicopters horizontal cruise speed back to 0.9x values while removing abuse with slow 90 deg dive.

[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #32
DogACTUAL

Seems reasonable. I just hope diving will still be useful in low view distance maps, especially for light attack helicopters that have a big reliance on dives.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:13 AM   #33
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]UTurista View Post
Source that diving, doing barrel rolls and loops are a real tactic?

I used to live outside RAF Odiham (main site for RAF Chinook fleet), and you would frequently see Chinooks performing these evasive maneuvers. For their size they are ridiculously agile, and they did agile turns as you can see in the video above very regularly. The video above also references these as real maneuvers, and occasionally when they would be deployed.

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Matrox is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:58 AM   #34
DogACTUAL

BUT MUH MANUAL! This can't be true!

Also, you better be directly affiliated with the military or be a real pilot, otherwise your informed opinion is totally invalid because muh authority fallacy (frontliner). It's not like everyone can find most of the relevant information on the internet nowadays(except classified stuff).

And if someone backs up their argument with lots of video evidence, you can always just make him look stupid and yourself look really smart by posting an official manual, that upon closer inspection doesn't specify anything about the subject of the argument though (rabbit).

Oh, also don't forget, never admit that you were wrong about something after being proven so. Only stupid people like DogACTUAL do that and you are so much smarter, am i right?

Instead, after you no longer have any arguments just post a smug, sassy, witty video meme reply that's supposed to humiliate your opponent or argue about irrelevant grammatic technicalities or spelling errors. That will make it look like you won the argument (to you).

Any questions?
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 08-29-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
Matrox
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
BUT MUH MANUAL! This can't be true!

Also, you better be directly affiliated with the military or be a real pilot, otherwise your informed opinion is totally invalid because muh authority fallacy (frontliner). It's not like everyone can find most of the relevant information on the internet nowadays(except classified stuff).

And if someone backs up their argument with lots of video evidence, you can always just make him look stupid and yourself look really smart by posting an official manual, that upon closer inspection doesn't specify anything about the subject of the argument though (rabbit).

Oh, also don't forget, never admit that you were wrong about something after being proven so. Only stupid people like DogACTUAL do that and you are so much smarter, am i right?

Instead, after you no longer have any arguments just post a smug, sassy, witty video meme reply that's supposed to humiliate your opponent or argue about irrelevant grammatic technicalities or spelling errors. That will make it look like you won the argument (to you).

Any questions?

The truth of the matter is rPoXoTauJIo has developed a more realistic flight model which offers new capabilities for transport helos with increased ability to counter small arms fire and land /take off from areas close to enemy contacts.

Also the current Stuka dive bombing tactic employed by combat helos in game formed as a result of lack of agility/speed when flying helos in a straight line making them sitting ducks. Hopefully we will see more strafing runs which is a more realistic usage of attack helos.

If you can find the four ninjas in my post, pm me to find out the prize....

Soalic: Because Microsoft Word makes really good pictures.
Last edited by Matrox; 08-29-2017 at 01:59 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 04:32 PM   #36
DogACTUAL

Thanks for your answer. I agree with what you said. I alread stated similar things in my big post on page 2.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #37
viirusiiseli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrox View Post
Also the current Stuka dive bombing tactic employed by combat helos in game formed as a result of lack of agility/speed when flying helos in a straight line making them sitting ducks. Hopefully we will see more strafing runs which is a more realistic usage of attack helos.
The real problem with that tactic is that flares do not work in this game against AAs if you go straight toward the target. This is why either dives or high altitude fly overs are done.

Fly straight at an AA and you're dead meat in this game most of the time. This is why good pilots fly above and past the target or dive it, rather than going in a strafe type of attack.

The best versions for doing actual strafe attacks was 0.981 and before, due to helis being quick enough for you to attack, and flee before AA could engage you effectively. Clearly visible from any videos you watch of CAS, pre 1.0.

Any way you argue it, 0.98 flight characteristics worked the best.

viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 AM   #38
DogACTUAL

All of the Z-9 helicopter variants don't switch back to the regular forward looking view if one presses the '1' key as the pilot. Meaning if you switch to different viewpoints with 'F' or other keys to survey the ground or surrounding airspace you can't use '1' to switch back to the regular view. Instead you have to keep pressing 'F' to get back to the forward looking perspective (as tested on test_airfield aas alt).
Old 09-08-2017, 04:00 AM   #39
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo

>helicopter physics
>reports bug with hud

On a sidenote, issue already been reported and fixed for next patch.

[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:58 AM   #40
DogACTUAL

Idk, didn't want to open a new thread just for that, so i posted it in the closest related post i saw.

About new flight model, if the helicopters become really fast i guess it can actually be a nice thing for attack helicopters, when using flares or doing quick attack runs.

Tags
helicopter, physics, physiscs