project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
24 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #41
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: AA missiles after lastest update

The length of time and exact positioning doesn't matter. What matters is finding that nice balance of flare vs missile effectiveness.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #42
TBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
No one touched the way flares deploy for ages While it would be bit tedious task, changing them to deploy to side and forward would easily be possible.
Can you link sources that flares should only be effective for 4 seconds?
M206, commonly used flare for blufor
Figure 1. M206 CM Flare Performance Characteristics

Some other flares compatible with the same launchers
http://www.chemringcm.com/~/media/Fi...lare-type1.pdf
http://www.chemringcm.com/~/media/Fi...are-type-8.pdf

Common 26mm Russian flare
http://www.tara-aerospace.com/downlo...flare_26mm.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisweb89 View Post
The length of time and exact positioning doesn't matter. What matters is finding that nice balance of flare vs missile effectiveness.
I agree balance is key, though to counterbalance a reduction in flare time you could increase flare count - I think most vehicle in game have fewer flares than they realistically would.
TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #43
DogACTUAL

I found sources that stated that there are flares that burn 20 sec or more and there are videos where you can see the flares burning longer than 5 sec.

Quote:
Careful, if you apply that kind of reasoning to everything eventually you will get Battlefield 3 balance.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #44
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

I really haven't flown much but last night a flew the havok on Saaremaa and it seemed good to me. Manpads were locking me and scring me because they always exploded in my flares and minimum hurt me, rather than flying right through and giving me time to rape them. I didn't have take any really bad hits, but I was acticaly trying to avoid the AA so maybe thats why, and didn't die until being up for 35 minutes to an AA while on the west side of the map and burned out flying back.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #45
DogACTUAL

Tested the stormer again, it is good against jets and helicopters now, proximity fuse works nicely again. Did you change anything in the last updates regarding the stormer?

Just one thing that's strange: If a jet flies directly towards any AA head on, stormer or otherwise, and the AA fires missiles, even without flaring the missiles will just explode behind the jet without damaging it, unless the missile hits the jet directly.
Try that with stormer or other AA, they will not damage the jet unless it is a direct hit if it comes head on towards the missile, this result is easy to reproduce.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 08-26-2017 at 01:35 PM..
Old 08-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #46
T.E.D.F4257845

Used the stormer on hades peak today and hit the russian cow with 3+ missiles head on which exploded but didn't seem to do any damage to it. The chopper didn't pop any flares and flew off like nothing happened.

Second cow that came, took 2-3 rockets before started smoking and lost engine power.

"Never underestimate the power of BRDMs in large groups"
T.E.D.F4257845 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:30 AM   #47
TBob

It might makes sense to give the Stormer a dual mode system like the Tunguska. The more recent version of the system has automatic guidance.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/de...VS%2011_10.pdf
Quote:
Automatic target tracking and engagement providing fire and forget system capability

Also another thing to consider for flares and such is that in game they're sort of an analog for both flares and chaff.
TBob is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 AM   #48
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBob View Post
It might makes sense to give the Stormer a dual mode system like the Tunguska. The more recent version of the system has automatic guidance.

https://www.thalesgroup.com/sites/de...VS%2011_10.pdf
Ye, makes sense to the Stormer. Basically, from what I can tell instead of locking automatic onto a radar signature, the system can automatically lock onto a inferred or visual band signature.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #49
DogACTUAL

Don't forget to add the thermals as well.
Last edited by DogACTUAL; 08-28-2017 at 12:49 PM..
Old 08-29-2017, 01:22 PM   #50
DogACTUAL

After a lot of jet fights on test airfield i noticed something about air to air missiles. If you lock your opponent and shoot before he uses flares, any air to air missile will hit with an estimated 90% probability, if the aircraft is not flying towards your direction at any angle (or else the missile most likely will explode but not damage the jet).

This dynamic should get rid of those moments where you shoot all your missiles at the jet and it evades them all by flaring after the missiles launch, only to turn around and hit you with its first missile.

Preflaring during air to air combat is way more important now.

Didn't test it thoroughly with surface to air missiles yet, but from what i have seen it is probably the same as with air to air missiles.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lastest, missiles, update