project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
20 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 08:57 AM   #11
DogACTUAL

Default Re: autocannons vs light armour

All the counter arguments i received make some good points, it really is a tricky issue balancing APC/IFV combat.
Although i would say a BMP can already just rush a british APC like that because in my proposed model all cannons are buffed by the same factor, all that would change is how long the BMP would take to destroy the british APC.

Maybe better balance could be achieved by changing armour values up a bit additionally to the cannon changes? But to be honest in my research i came across many bold claims of specific vehicles having really good resistance against 30mm frontally but then there are reports of the same vehicle getting destroyed by 50.cal to the front. So i don't know if you can really trust official sources that much, they tend to stretch the truth a good bit to fit their interests.

To answer the question, yes APC/IFV combat needs to be more fatal imo.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #12
fecht_niko
Banned

Maybe a bit (20%)
fecht_niko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #13
Allahu Akbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecht_niko View Post
lol 3-5 shots

Imagine BMP2/3 vs UK crap... 1 burst and byebye Warrior/Scimi

Another bullshit "wonnabe on paper realism" that will break the game and result in unrealistic gameplay.
Low number of shots is actually in UK APC's favor because UK APC has no overheat nor deviation(nothing extremely noticeable anyway), so they have decent chance of winning by landing 3-5 solid hits at long range instead of being sprayed down by high deviation autocannons at basically any range. (keep in mind maps are already "balanced" by UK generally having a lot more APC, Russia/MEC side typically lacking FLIR on BTR and MTLB 30mm, plus the pseudo-atgm Stormer that can destroy APCs easily; the likes of MTLB with 30mm should also have much weaker armor)

Could also change it so APC turrets count as "rear" armor for the sake of damage, so higher accuracy APCs with decent aim can do better while BMPs...etc. would still lack the accuracy to hit them reliably at mid/long range.

Would not make much difference in a fair close range fight because BMPs already win that.
Last edited by Allahu Akbar; 07-13-2017 at 08:11 PM..
Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
viirusiiseli
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allahu Akbar View Post
Could also change it so APC turrets count as "rear" armor for the sake of damage
Turrets generally have more armor though, would be a bit unrealistic. Of course they do have optics and other vital stuff for the operation of the APC or its turret so eh
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 AM   #15
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

It would be interesting to decrease apc/ifv armour vs auto cannons a bit, and maybe a like it was said another way to balance fast firing vs slower firing cannons would be accuracy, but not to an extreme amount, just to make it harder to hit hull down vehicles. Everything I've hear about bmp2 guns is they aren't the most accurate.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
DogACTUAL

Yes, this approach seems very reasonable. But i would still prefer if they actually made cannons significantly more effective against armour, not just a bit. So you would really notice a big difference.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
armour, autocannons, light