project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Vehicles
22 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
Vegetal
Default Helicopter responsiveness

Hello guys, started playing this some days ago and am enjoying it quite a lot. Hard to believe this has been going for such a long time.

So, I've had some experience flying helicopters in real life, not much though. But enough to draw some conclusions.

I tried flying them in game, but I think they have the same problem I've seen on pretty much every milsim that I've played: they are really sluggish to respond. Not so much yaw, that seems good enough. More critically, pitch and roll rates are too low. They also seem to vary a lot with airspeed, which isn't quite like how they fly in reality.

Another thing: I could reach speeds above 500 km/h on one of them. That is flat out wrong, and I can explain why if you want.

I didn't follow this game through development, so maybe I don't know something...
Vegetal is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR:BF2 Developer
PR Server License Moderator
Default Re: Helicopter responsiveness

The speed meter in the bf2 engine is bullshit.
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Vegetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]AlonTavor View Post
The speed meter in the bf2 engine is bullshit.
I figured that could also be the case. The ground was passing too slow beneath me =P
Old 06-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
[R-CON]UTurista
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Also we're well aware that the flight model is not realistic or even near it, you can't forget we're just a modification, we're limited to what we can modify.

Even if we could we, just like most games, would probably not go for a realistic flight model as it probably not very fun and very performance heavy.

Dont question the wikipedia! Just because it reports different things on different languages does not make it unreliable source!
[R-CON]UTurista is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #5
Vegetal

Ah I'm not suggesting a realistic flight model, that would be total nonsense for a game like this. What I'm saying is that it feels like you are flying a barge instead of an aircraft. I presume pitch and roll rates are some of the things that could be modified, maybe even easily? Because that would make a world of difference already.

I'm posting this because I feel people in general have this feeling that, because they are flying through a fluid, aircraft controls in general are mushy, imprecise. In reality, they are as responsive as in a car.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
X-Alt

Nobody plays DCS for a reason

realistic helicopters are cancer
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
Vegetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Alt View Post
realistic helicopters are cancer
You are talking to a pilot

Again, I'm not proposing realism. I'm saying that, in the current state, they are harder to fly than if they were more responsive.

Perspective: MS flight simulator's flight model has the same problem. The R22's controls are hilariously different from the real thing.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #8
X-Alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetal View Post
You are talking to a pilot

Again, I'm not proposing realism. I'm saying that, in the current state, they are harder to fly than if they were more responsive.

Perspective: MS flight simulator's flight model has the same problem. The R22's controls are hilariously different from the real thing.
An OH-58D pilot once came in and asked for the helicopters to revert to a more vBF2 like state.

Play it and see what you think.
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:06 AM   #9
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo

Modding by self always an option, helicopters being pain in ass as for me for quite time already.
Changing their rotation rates on pitch and roll axis is quite easy through.

[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 04:07 AM   #10
Vegetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Alt View Post
An OH-58D pilot once came in and asked for the helicopters to revert to a more vBF2 like state.

Play it and see what you think.
Haven't played BF2 in ages, so I dunno.

Tags
helicopter, responsiveness