project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
17 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
cyberzomby

Default Re: Burning Sand v2 feedback

I played it from 19:00 PRT to 11:42 PRT and I encountered the following:

3 times a memory error in windows on the BF2.exe

And I CTD'd 2 times on mapload. Somehow the error window didnt show up when I closed the BF2.exe application so I cant give you any reports. Still thought it was best to post this in here. Although it probably wont be of any help Sorry Rudd!

Had some nice fights in the city tho!
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
Saarna

Getting too late here to test it out further, but I strongly think that with fairly even teams the MEC is overpowered at least on the standard layout(? The one with twin Gazelles and an Apache), and has been to some degree on the older version as well.

First, the flags. The MEC usually have three flags - Munitions, Village and/or the two Airfields - right next to their main, while the brits have the hardly defensible VCP.

The rest of the flags are either equally accessible or slightly in MEC's favor, like the Failed Oil Exploration and Crashsite at NE corner. They're as far from both mains, but the city's outskirts span out further north than east, making it easier for MEC to get an ambush team between the Brit main and the flags. Not a critical difference, but can add up.

Secondly, the vehicles. The tanks seem to be roughly equal, the air assets being too skill based to accurately estimate on this short term.

Then roll in the APC's/IFV's, and the Brits just keel over. Warrior and Scimitar with sluggish autocannons that can hardly take out other light armor, against an MT-LB with the murderous 30mm and the king of the hill BMP-3, that will easily act as a third tank for the MEC side, cutting through anything up to the Challengers. Depending on the flag layout this may well be a deciding factor on its own with such a limited amount of armor available.

Still, I'll emphasize the "fairly even teams" part. I'm not saying that a British force with superior teamplay can't and won't win the map, but against an equal team on the MEC side they are very hard pressed to do so. I've personally played about six rounds of the old Burning Sands and now two on the new one, and (while not an empirical statistic) seen the Brits win one single round. Tonight with rougly the same teams we first got capped out by the MEC, losing around 390-0, and then proceeded to cap out the Brits, winning 316-0.
Saarna is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #13
ytman

Had a real slow time loading in on my second game. No crashing though.

Bushes north of MEC main float... that is all I noticed.

I would approve of bunkers being more south/east then it is now. I know its awefully late to say this and I should have said that back in the TG IHS but that bunker is more of a liability than an asset to the MEC now as the UK have a much easier time of cutting off the routes to it than the MEC. Going to it from MEC main while having to worry about all the other flags is a huge diversion, AASv4 would certainly solve this by having a route that goes through it instead of the current random flags.

Edit: The one Gazzell is a nice asset but it appears to be able to fire its weapons with the accuracy of a Havok and while on the move unlike it should. To my knowledge it is TOW guided and needs to be still to fire.
ytman is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Zrix
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Floating fence;

http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/110366822-4.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/s/110366837-4.jpg

Zrix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
Web_cole
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Web_cole Send a message via Skype™ to Web_cole

Ok, so some feedback.

I have to say, I really like the city. Its a very dense, claustrophobic urban area which manages to be large but still varied. Its interesting how some of the buildings have been put together so you have T buildings that are accessible from Houses of Pain, that sort of thing. Never really seen that before. Also, the lack of really tall buildings is nothing but a good thing. No Beirut North City syndrome where one building can win you the whole game, there are no major vantage points and you really have to move and close with your enemy if you want to be effective.

Its also good that on a 4km map a number of the flags are still "interesting" for infantry, in the sense that Inf are not at the mercy of the Armour; you can hide, and still maneuver about and maybe you even need an Inf squad to clear it out properly. This is good.

I would also say Saarna's point about the overall flag layouts slightly favoring MEC might have some validity, not sure about that though.

Web_cole is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #16
farna

I play on high detail and used to have much fps-drops on this map, but now it is floating better then fallujha. Awesome!
farna is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:30 PM   #17
Arnoldio
Banned

Great map, i absolutely love the desert with all those ditches and crests, thats needed for kashan! The urban area is pretty well designed, though it lacks detail compared to Albasrah and especially to Fallujah...

Quite nice fps, comfortable play.
Arnoldio is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #18
karambaitos

Send a message via MSN to karambaitos Send a message via Skype™ to karambaitos

ive noticed that there are little shrub things all over the map even in places they shouldnt be like in the middle of a street and so on, also with lighting low the houses look like this

which is brighter than the reddot

also maybe 2 flags for the city would be better for gameplay IMO because now with one flag much of it is isnt used either that or increasing the cap radius to 200-250

There is only one unforgivable lie That is the lie that says, This is the end, you are the conqueror, you have achieved it and now all that remains is to build walls higher and shelter behind them. Now, the lie says, the world is safe.? The Great Khan.

40k is deep like that.
karambaitos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #19
Sabre-Oz
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Sabre-Oz Send a message via Skype™ to Sabre-Oz

Still have never played Burning Sands, always CTD after the map has finished loading. Sad face.

Sabre-Oz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:39 AM   #20
markdh1

markdh1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
burning, feedback, fixed, sand