project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Maps
20 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Qinling feedback on 95 flag layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboyz View Post
Why the hell would we want jets anyways?
Oh I dunno, maybe for something called close air support?

I agree with your basic point, jets are not grate at the moment and there is a lot of work we need to do on them but that's really no reason to get rid of them.

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
Zegel

Ninja Silly_Savage is ninja.

Anyhow, I think Qinling has been greatly improved by the new flag layout and big honkin' cap radii. In the rounds I've played since .95, it's generally been a tightly-grouped flag layout (see video dtacs linked to) which seems to help alleviate the general "Qinling-ness" of the map (i.e., the walking/riding/treading around for 30-minutes with no contact and no intel on the enemy until you're bombed). Like Kain said, I think this over ANY other 4km map will benefit from AASv4.

I also prefer the mix of both fixed-wing and rotary assets. From what I've seen it tends to make both assets on each side play a little more conservatively throughout the round until air-superiority is established, keeping any one pilot from making everything but the mobile-AA's life a living hell for two hours. This map can especially fall victim to air-asset rapage due to: lack of cover, lack of concealment, and availability of the air assets to attack from any direction, making AA less effective. When the choppers are up, the jet's are searching for the choppers + When the jet's are up, the chopper's are hiding = Life's good for the INF.

But as someone who plays infantry even when the mapper obviously wants me to run a tank squad (what with the 12 spawning MBT's, one logi truck, and one trans-chopper on a delayed spawn), I've got to echo dtacs: There isn't enough free transport for the infantry. This, and Iron Eagle both occasionally suffer from the fatal 'choose a destination, and sit there the whole map-itis'. I think a single extra logi + trans-truck on a short respawn at each main would go a long way to warding off those occasionally awful rounds, because, worst case scenario, the first squaddie to die can grab a truck from main and drive 2km out and move the squad to make them relevant again.

Trans-choppers are always the preferred mode of transportation, but when the enemy has a fighter and an attack chopper up, and you're 6 man defense squad is stuck defending two flags behind the active defend-flag? Fagettaboudit. And I see this pretty often.

Again, look to the linked thread dtacs posted: My team was divded into two groups, my squad stuck defending the very first flag, and the rest of the team stuck faffing about a non-attackable flag, giving enemy armor free-roam about the map.

Sorry if this came off as a rant, just trying to highlight really the only issue I've got with the map anymore. On the whole Rudd, I've found Qinling much more enjoyable, keep it up.

Zegel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Tartantyco

4km maps across the board need more objectives. The objective spread and radius size of 2km maps functions well and must be scaled up to 4km maps, anything else is simply adding unnecessary layers of complexity.

Make Norway OPFOR! NAO!

It's your hamster Richard. It's your hamster in the box and it's not breathing.
Tartantyco is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Imchicken1

The chines trans chopper needs to not be on a delayed spawn, as the british chinooks spawn at the start. And there also needs to be an extra flag. The assets are perfect though

I won't cluck for you
Imchicken1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
chrisweb89
PR Server License Moderator

Add another flag or two in, maybe reduce the cap sizes. On qinling there just isn't enough buffer room with flags. Once you have lost your first contested flag you are already pushed back to your last flag.
chrisweb89 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
Silly_Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
BS as of yet doesn't feature any jets, nor dose it feature the PLA, let alone the PLAAF.

And yes the USMC do need a jet map, but like Rudd said, Jabal v2 with any luck should fill that gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Also that's not to mention that there are not really any other Brit maps with such emphasis on even tanks or other heavy assets, Shijia is mainly light and medium assets and while the Brits do have tanks on the odd map, none of them offer the same conventional conflict as Qinling dose or in the same numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Savage View Post
Burning Sands?

If anything, the Marines need a 4km featuring jets, or a 4km in general. But hey, I'm a bit bias myself.
That's what I was getting at by mentioning Burning Sands.

On topic, I think AASv4 is going to breathe new life into 4km maps and make them much more enjoyable.

"Jafar, show me a sniper rifle." - Silly_Savage 2013
Silly_Savage is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartantyco View Post
4km maps across the board need more objectives.
+1

I'd like to fight through more of the maps, to get to experience the entire map instead of a handful of heavily contested areas that are rinse/repeat the next time I play the map. That's what I enjoy about the old cache markers in INS mode, you had to really explore the depths of a map to find the cache.

My issue with the map is having the lopsided layouts, wherein the one side has a very short trip from main to the 2nd (sometimes 3rd) objective while the opposition is unable to deploy as effectively.

I'm figuring AASv4 will help avoid the cluster objectives, but from what I've seen the western, and often southern sides of the lake are the main focal points. When that's the case most of the time the players on the British team are often demoralized, which isn't always fun.

Murphy is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
feedback, flag, layout, qinling