project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #31
[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to [R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo
Default Re: New lasing system

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
That means once a bomb tracks it becomes a slow missile to BF2 so in theory it can fly upwards.
Not just in theory :P

[R-DEV]rPoXoTauJIo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #32
agus92

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mats391 View Post
You should not listen to Alon when it comes to BF2 code
Everything that wants to track laser targets needs TSLaserGuided, but BF2 only has guided missile logic. That means once a bomb tracks it becomes a slow missile to BF2 so in theory it can fly upwards. Also while tracking a targets physics get suspended. Since usually bombs are dropped from high up these things are not really a problem.
Understood. Then, after losing laze the bomb should still keep guided missile logic, BUT, with an increased error (as in probabilistic deviation to last know laze). Do you implement error already with current laze, or the bomb goes straight to the target?

To quantify the error: according to wikipedia source's (https://www.globalsecurity.org/milit...jdam-specs.htm), modern bombs should have a 50% chance of hitting a 30m circle with fall times of 100 secs or less (which I don't feel like calculating, but I'm pretty sure that's waaay higher than when the jet sees the laze in PR).
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #33
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR Server License Moderator

There's no error in missile mode
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is online now Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #34
anantdeathhawk

Could there be 2 kinds of lases on the littl bird with rockets, as the spotter lases and then when the pilot(me) moves the chopper from still(static) hovering, the spotter's lase aslo moves as the lase tracks the mouse's movement at that time, really becomes hard for the pilot(me) to know where is that the spotter meant after the pilot(me) moves the chopper.

1.Static lase (which one put stays there for a definite period of time; like the GLTD uses)
2.Dynamic lase (which moves actively with the cursor)

Thanks!
anantdeathhawk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:12 AM   #35
DogACTUAL

So i recently had a pretty good round as a spotter on khami lasing moving mec vehicles in and around the city on their way to the objectives (i was in an elevated position). My lases led to quite a few AAVs, APCs/IFVs, trucks and tanks being destroyed.

The new system effectively nerfed 'defensive' lasing capability, like routinely peeking up behind cover for a split second and lasing a FOB or vehicle that is aware of your position.

On the other hand it also really buffed the 'offensive' lasing capability, when the target is unaware of the spotter and/or moving.

Overall imo opinion lases got effectively nerfed a good bit, since most of the time your target will spot you sooner or later if you keep looking at it and moving vehicles on most situations disappear from line of sight too quickly for the jet to react.

But i still wouldn't have it any other way than the current system just for realism's sake and for the ability to keep guiding bombs.

It seems that to be most effective with the current system one has to find an elevated position with a good vantage point that is hidden/unassuming and try to have as little exposure time as possible.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #36
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
since most of the time your target will spot you sooner or later if you keep looking at it
Then only laze when your jet and/or heli is ready.

You don't laze a tank all the time do you?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #37
[R-DEV]AlonTavor

Yea, now that you don't need to keep trying to make it stick, just pop up when you need to.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #38
DogACTUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweedensniiperr View Post
Then only laze when your jet and/or heli is ready.

You don't laze a tank all the time do you?
Here, just for you, since this statement keeps popping up:

Previous lase system minimal exposure time: 1-5 seconds (pop up, lase and make sure it sticks, hide again; time varies with distance)

Current lase system minimal exposure time: 8-20 seconds (pop up when CAS says it is inbound, wait for bomb drop, then wait for impact; time varies with CAS drivers ability to estimate correctly when to lase and spotter potentially needing to watch the target before lasing to make sure it is still there, otherwise the CAS exposes itself for nothing looking for a lase that isn't there)
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:14 PM   #39
[R-DEV]AlonTavor

Yea, no.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #40
PatrickLA_CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Current lase system minimal exposure time: 8-20 seconds (pop up when CAS says it is inbound, wait for bomb drop, then wait for impact; time varies with CAS drivers ability to estimate correctly when to lase and spotter potentially needing to watch the target before lasing to make sure it is still there, otherwise the CAS exposes itself for nothing looking for a lase that isn't there)
As it should be.

PatrickLA_CA is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
lasing, system