project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
DogACTUAL

Default 2560x1080 monitor support when?

When are the DEVs finally going to implement real support for the 2560x1080 resolution?

Monitors with this resolution are only going to become more prevelant in the future, i already met quite a few people in PR that are using them now.

I outlined the issue in a previous thread already: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f329...r-support.html

Basically, right now if you select the 2560x1080 resolution in the graphics menu, it will give you a shit field of view ingame, while all the users of the regular 1920x1080 monitors get the normal, much better field of view.

Now i have no experience in game coding and development, but i imagine it would be quite an easy fix, since third party programs like WS fixer did it without much hassle before PR went standalone.

Please DEVs, me and others would like to finally have a normal FOV while playing, we would really appreciate it if you would implement proper support for this resolution!
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rhino
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: 2560x1080 monitor support when?

that's nothing, try 5760*1080

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Now i have no experience in game coding and development, but i imagine it would be quite an easy fix, since third party programs like WS fixer did it without much hassle before PR went standalone.
It's not an easy fix... It firstly requires someone with good C++ coding skills to begin with, something that is somewhat hard to come by in the modding world, especially when talking about a 10yr+ old engine, and then from there it's not straight forward either.

If someone from the community wants to give it a crack they are more than welcome to, would really like to see it myself too, but you need to understand, it's not like changing a few line of code in a text config file to be able to do this...

[R-DEV]Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:49 AM   #3
[R-DEV]AlonTavor
PR Server License Moderator

You're forgetting we don't have any access to the engine's source code, other than reassembly.
We're developing on a closed engine that is highly moddable, but we don't have any of its source.

PR is a unfortunately "just a mod".
[R-DEV]AlonTavor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
DogACTUAL

Might there be a way to copy what WS fixer did and just apply it to PR?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
[R-DEV]AfterDune
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Are you talking about the stretched-to-the-max HUD? Then maybe this guy can help:

As far as I know, this isn't available yet, but hopefully sometime soon.

Haven't seen anything that fixes your FOV since that small app from back then.

[R-DEV]AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 03:21 PM   #6
DogACTUAL

No, i wasn't talking about the streched HUD at all, that doesn't bother me that much.

I was talking about the actual FOV being cut down from the 1920x1080 FOV and being fitted to the 2560x1080 resolution, check out the other thread i linked in the OP, it is explained in more detail there.

I was wondering if it would be possible to look at the application widescreen fixer and figure out how it was able to adjust the FOV for vBF2 (and PR before the standalone version) and then maybe copy that process and apply it to the current PR version.

Would it be possible?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
inb4banned

What kind of hFOV do you get and what do you wish for?
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #8
DogACTUAL

I don't know what kind of FOV i have or how to check it, but through testing i found out that i have significantly less then playing with the normal 1920x1080 resolution.

When selecting the 2560x1080 resolution the game basically uses the standard FOV render of 1920x1080 and fits it to my screen undistorted by mainly cutting away space from the bottom and top (and also a little bit from the sides). This means i get a 'zoomed in' view of the normal 1920x1080 render and therefore less FOV.

But i want to have the same overall FOV that people with 1920x1080 monitors have , which would mean on my monitor i would be able to see more stuff on the sides than with regular 1920x1080 monitors if that was the case.

Before someone suggests i should just play with the normal 1920x1080 resolution with black bars on the sides instead, i tried that but my graphic card just isn't able to do that properly. If i play with that resolution i will get the full FOV, but the image will be streched and distorted to fill out the whole screen, so not an option.

And i hope sooner or later the DEVs will start working on this, as monitors of that aspect ratio will only become more popular and widely used in the future.

So basically i wish that i could play with the same FOV as all the other that are playing with the standard 1920x1080 resolution. The reasons are:

-Many scales on weapon sights that are used to account for the drop of projectiles, like those on rocket launchers (only the scopes, the adjustable iron sight work fine) or vehicle grenade launchers are only correct with the normal FOV (SPG 9 scope is not affected by this for some reason).

-I could see more stuff to the sides of my screen, which is always nice to have (i know, it would kind of unfair to the people using the regular 1920x1080 resolution, but so is when playing with those normal monitors against someone using an older monitor with say 1600x1200 resolution).

-The standard FOV is way better for situational awareness and infantry combat and is less claustrophobic when operating vehicles. This always becomes clear to me whenever i watch gameplay videos of other people. I would argue the slim advantage i get in long range firefights due to the zoom with my current FOV isn't really worth it compared to all the other disadvantages it brings.

Thank you, i hope there will be a solution for my kind of monitors soon.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #9
Bullseye2550

did you find a solution?

Bullseye2550 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #10
parch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
I would argue the slim advantage i get in long range firefights due to the zoom with my current FOV isn't really worth it compared to all the other disadvantages it brings.
Tbh, I think it's pretty sweet.

Personally I would love to see the HUD fixed though. It's tricky to estimate distance on the stretched map. Also it's ugly.

parch is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, support