project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback
23 Jan 2018, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
PR:BF2 Feedback Post your feedback on the current Project Reality release (including SinglePlayer).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM   #11
DogACTUAL

Default Re: TOW damage to front armor

You asked why it was important to buff the frontal armor of the tank if the situation will not change that much and i answered. Doesn't matter if you already mentioned what was in my answer, you asked and i answered, simple as that.

The armor changes are balanced imo because it made the tank more superior to infantry in some situations, and more susceptible to infantry in others. Combined with potentially more TOWs per FOB or TOWs seperately constructed of FOBs to ambush tanks, which would be a nice change imo, it would be totally fair for everyone.

I just get tired of all the fear mongering the moment a big change is announced, people immediately proclaiming that those changes will be disastrous for gameplay. I heard it about every change that was implemented and i have only been playing for 3 years.

I trust the devs and i am thankful to them that there is such a good game like PR that they are still working on that i can play for free. Sure sometimes i don't like certain changes too and will complain about them but overall they are doing a very good job.

You might very well be right and the armor changes might be too unfair for the infantry, we will just have to wait and see though. Only after a fair amount of time we can really tell how it has affected the gameplay, but i think it will be working just fine.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:26 PM   #12
X-Alt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yburtcgEOuY
X-Alt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:45 PM   #13
DogACTUAL

Nice footage.

I also remember an instruction video for the TOW where they actually show how the TOW team hides first and lets the tank go past them so they don't have to aim at the frontal amor and then assembles the TOW to shoot it in the back, explaining that the chance to penetrate the armor is much higher that way.

It was an old video though, of course some new TOW versions can now strike the top armor of a tank from any direction.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:01 PM   #14
Gerfand

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Nice footage.

I also remember an instruction video for the TOW where they actually show how the TOW team hides first and lets the tank go past them so they don't have to aim at the frontal amor and then assembles the TOW to shoot it in the back, explaining that the chance to penetrate the armor is much higher that way.

It was an old video though, of course some new TOW versions can now strike the top armor of a tank from any direction.
Man I am waiting to get home and try to do that, hell I even tried to place ATGMs in flanking position earlier in 1.3.9
Gerfand is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:14 AM   #15
inb4banned

A TOW requires 2 crates and a FOB close to even deploy. Then there's the time it takes to actually build it, warm it up and the firing delay. It's in no way portable at all and even without the smoke trail visibility is still bad when firing.

All of these disadvantages should make it able to 1 shot any armour.
inb4banned is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppeJ View Post
Since TOWs have to be kinda sneaky now I think they shouldn't be restricted to 200m from a FOB. Make it instead so that they can be placed anywhere on the map, similar to the insurgent SPG. But also make it so that they require 1 big crate to build, this way they could "realistically" be transported around (they look like they would fit in 1 big crate) and be deployed where they're needed.
I like this.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #17
gwa1hir
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppeJ View Post
Since TOWs have to be kinda sneaky now I think they shouldn't be restricted to 200m from a FOB. Make it instead so that they can be placed anywhere on the map, similar to the insurgent SPG. But also make it so that they require 1 big crate to build, this way they could "realistically" be transported around (they look like they would fit in 1 big crate) and be deployed where they're needed.

this would make no sense when it requires a crate. who brings that crate to you?? a chopper so everyone can see it including the nearby tank? or a logi form a main base that would take ages and by the time it arrives a tank can be gone.
a solution like that would only work if you can deploy it really quick in reaction to a tank appearing.
as i explained this would not be possible if a crate would have to be delivered to build it. on the other hand it would be overpowered if it would not require a crate because then you just could delete/build/delete/build in seconds around the entire map.
gwa1hir is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #18
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

The main disadvantage of the TOW is that isn't mobile. Yes I think a crate within the vicinity would be fair. Obviously the crate would have to be there before the tank shows up. If you don't have a TOW up and a tank is nearby you are in big trouble anyway (pre 1.4).

Regarding the rebuilding thing, yes that is something that isn't very realistic. It would simulate "moving" the TOW to another area where it is needed. It doesn't take seconds too. Maybe a delay could be something here? Surely that is something that could be done by python..?

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #19
JustAGuy

I'm honestly most curious to know exactly, specifically which maps and layouts had the armor with atgm's vs. armor w/o atgm's. Then i would like to know what strategies the devs thought the players would use to even those odds. Then i would like to know why that remained unchanged for so long (simple map balance c'mon) if it was truly such an issue, and why the change comes now in the form of a TOW nerf

Like seriously, the TOW wasn't overpowered so it doesn't need a nerf. I understand it's about the atgm's mounted on armor, but the change also simultaneously relegates TOWs to the trash pile of nearly useless tactics seeing as how they are practically suicide stations against any decent tank crew. And don't give me the whole, "they were useless against good tanks before blah blah blah." Take your BS elsewhere, good TOW operators could keep armor at bay, that was their main purpose, sending them to RTB. Not getting kills.

I believe that the balance of which assets are on which maps should have been what was actually looked at instead of, "wow, atgm apc's keep killing my tank which is supposed to be completely invincible, 50 kills 0 deaths amirite"

I guess we can all count on the guy who grabbed the HAT kit right (1 of 2 on the WHOLE team), a rando that barely speaks English who said, "I grab AT, I grab AT!" at the beginning. Oh, but he ran off on a hillside and is doing his own nonsensical thing. Go figure.
JustAGuy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #20
XAHTEP39

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rPoXoTauJIo View Post
Remove tow from deployables.
Give back 3 hats. Problem solved :P
Maybe not so radical?
For example, TOW is available, but 2 HATs for the team.
XAHTEP39 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, atgm, damage, front, front armor, poxo is ghey, tow, tow damage