project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
25 Oct 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
bloodthirsty_viking
Send a message via Yahoo to bloodthirsty_viking Send a message via Skype™ to bloodthirsty_viking
Default CL/CA Ships (I haz question)

So I recently saw a picture of a CL/CA ship, Never seen these things before.
http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/032/0403222.jpg
The one thing thats been bothering me since i saw the picture (And those on another forum i go to) is How on earth do the planes take off from such a short runway?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bloodthirsty_viking is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
[R-DEV]Rudd
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: CL/CA Ships (I haz question)

what runway?....

USN Ships -- by Hull Number: CL/CA -- Light Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers
Quote:
CL/CA -- Light Cruisers and Heavy Cruisers.

When the Navy formally implemented its hull number system in July 1920, it redesignated thirteen scout cruisers (three completed in 1908, plus ten new ships which were still under construction) as "Light Cruisers" (CL), numbered in accordance with the previous scout cruiser number series. About a year later, nine older protected cruisers (eight of which had been briefly classified as "Gunboats" during 1920-21) were added to the CL number series. An additional CL series number (CL-14) was intended for a tenth such ship, but it was not formally assigned.

In 1926, construction began on a new group of light cruisers, armed with eight-inch guns instead of the six-inch or smaller weapons carried by the existing CLs. Eight of these were completed between late 1929 and early 1931 as CL-24 through CL-31. At the beginning of July 1931, these eight ships were redesignated as "heavy cruisers" (CA), based on warship classifications established by the previous year's London Naval Treaty, but their hull numbers were not changed.

All subsequent U.S. Navy light and heavy cruisers were numbered in the same series, which ultimately encompassed 160 ships, all but one resulting from building programs of 1945 or earlier. Ten of these were completed for other purposes and construction of another thirty-seven was cancelled. The final number in the series (CLGN-160) was briefly assigned to the new nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser Long Beach during 1956-57, before she was laid down. No further ships have been built in the CL/CA series, and its few surviving members are now in museum status, so the designation can be safely considered extinct.

In addition to the lengthy CL/CA hull number series, the U.S. Navy has maintained several other number series for cruisers. Among these are the twenty-two ship "Cruiser" (frequently shortened to "C-#") series applied to protected cruisers of the late 19th Century era; the first CA series (sometimes rendered as "ACR") for contemporary armored cruisers, which was extended in 1920 to include some of the larger surviving protected cruisers; the six-ship large cruiser (CB) series of 1940; the six-ship battle cruiser (CC) series of 1916-1922; the three command ships (CLC & CC) of the 1950s and 1960s; and the extensive guided-missile cruiser (CAG, CLG & CG) series that began in the 1950s and continues in use to the present day. Links to pages covering these series are provided below.

This page provides the hull numbers of all U.S. Navy cruisers numbered in the CL series, as adopted in 1920 and expanded in 1931 to also include cruisers in the CA series, with links to those ships with photos available in the Online Library.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Put the plane onto the water using crane -> enjoy unlimited runway.
Either that or a catapult, to give the plane enough initial velocity for it not to fall into the water.

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley

Its a catapult, not a runway. It "fires" the aircraft into the air linky

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
[R-DEV]Bob_Marley is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
bloodthirsty_viking
Send a message via Yahoo to bloodthirsty_viking Send a message via Skype™ to bloodthirsty_viking

ah ok. I dont know how I didn't understand it used a catapult -.-
I didn't know that they had catapults for aircraft like that that long ago.

Thank you sirs.

And congrats on 4000 posts danke

bloodthirsty_viking is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
Conman51

While were on the topic of ships i have a question on the different ship classes.

most of these ship classes stopped being used after ships started losing their guns and getting missiles but whats the difference between

Cruiser
Heavy Cruised
Destroyer
Battleship

Are the differences just in size or is the the role it plays in a battle thats different?

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Mark Twain

Conman51 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
[R-DEV]Thermis

Basically it Armament and Task.

I'll speak from a WWII perspective.

A cruiser is a medium gunned ship. They have a decent amount of armor, and probably 8-10 Inch guns, and 25-30 knots max speed.

A heavy cruiser, sacrifices armor and speed for guns. A pocket battleship can be defined as a heavy cruiser, generally they would have battleship sized guns 12-18 inch, but less armor and less displacement than a Battleship.

Battleships are the biggest, the first of which was the HMS Dreadnought. Heavily armored 12-20 inches, and mounting 12-18 Battleships are big enough to have boilers powerful enough to drive them at a decent speed 21-25 knots.

Destroyers were intended to hunt submarines, and are extremely fast, 35-40 knots. 3-5 inch guns, light armor.
Last edited by [R-DEV]Thermis; 04-02-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Old 04-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
pfhatoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-MOD]Thermis View Post
Destroyers were invented to hunt submarines, and are extremely fast, 35-40 knots. 3-5 inch guns, light armor.
No, they where invented to destroy Torpedo Boats. They where further developed though to hunt submarines.
pfhatoa is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
Ninjam3rc

It's pretty impressive to watch destroyers charge into groups of Iranian missile boats that get to close to carriers. And the cruisers I've seen were pretty bamf as far as the amount of weapons went, but alot of the systems just looked bolted on well after the ship was launched.
Ninjam3rc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #10
[R-DEV]Thermis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfhatoa View Post
No, they where invented to destroy Torpedo Boats. They where further developed though to hunt submarines.
You are correct sir, with their original name being torpedo boat destroyer. However, I noted I was speaking from a WWII perspective since it was the last big naval war, and thats what destroyers were used for, and continue to be used for to this day.

Edit, made a typo meant to say intended not invented. Silly spellcheck...
[R-DEV]Thermis is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cl or ca, haz, question, ships