project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
20 Dec 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
TheLastManStanding
Default Mirage Camouflage pattern, better than Multicam?

I've been hearing a lot about the Mirage camouflage based of the popular pattern Desert Brush and it looks to me to be a digital Flecktarn, see for yourself here:
Mirage Camo: up-close and in-the-field Strike – Hold!
“Mirage” camo uniforms from Bulldog Equipment Strike – Hold!
Anyways leave your thoughts below, from what I've seen Crye might want to stick with designing vests and jackets.
TheLastManStanding is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
MonkeySoldier

Default Re: Mirage Camouflage pattern, better than Multicam?

Doesn't look like a digital Flecktarn to me, colours are different than Flecktarn. Also, do you mean to compare the camouflage's as in a versus thread or do you mean it differently?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MonkeySoldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
[R-DEV]Airsoft
PR:BF2 Test Lead
Project Reality Beta Tester

of course it's "better" because they are just promotional pictures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[R-DEV]Airsoft is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
TheLastManStanding

I mean that it could be a better replacement for a Pattern *Multicam its called* That is honestly terrible in woodland conditions you would find in NA, Europe and Northern Asia. While Mirage, has been designed to handle as many environments as it can because it was first concepted to be a Sniper's Uniform.
Also its based off the Desert Brush which was the best pattern during the 2003/04 tests where the horrible UCP somehow was selected because the US Army wanted to make a fashion statement I guess. Meanwhile other countries are adapting a CADPAT Derivative in Displacement Camouflage, *Cough* MARPAT, AOR... ect?
Also another problem I'm seeing is the British MoD is taking away DPM Woodland? Are they off their knockers? Have they seen MC in woodland conditions in the UK? Especially in Scotland? Its like a green blob that stands out pretty bad.

And soldier, look at the placement of the blocks then look at Flecktarn. You'll get what I mean quickly.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
strima
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Digicam is so last year. With regards to British MTP, this has been designed to cover a multitude of theatres where the cam requirements vary immensely, Helmand province is a good example, desert rapidly changing to lush vegetated areas, MTP is designed for that.

We're not expecting to carry out combat operations in UK or NW Europe in the near future which the woodland pattern was originally designed for, woodland is really the last remaining vestibule of the coldwar.

I would prefer to see shots of Mirage cam pattern being used in real combat areas when it's faded and battered to see how it really acts, promotional shots are not a good example of how things work in the real world.

strima is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
TheLastManStanding

Heheh, yeah well I just hate to see an good woodland pattern go. And for the Mirage pattern, its more capable then MC apparently, but who knows. It seems to perform nicely, and digital isn't over rated? You obviously don't understand the Displacement part of camouflage? Look at CADPAT genius one of its pros is that it makes the wearer seem farther then he is, I think thats Displacement no? The only non digicam Displacement camouflage was the British DPM Woodland/Desert based off the Denison Smock.
And woodland ineffective? Heh, thats funny, last time I checked every photo I've seen of Royal Marines, SBS, SAS they have a tendency to be wearing a lot of Woodland no?
If it is so out of date, explain to me why so many of the newer British Vests are still in the Desert DPM and not MT? Your backing up your claims up with nothing but rubbish. You realise, there is no such thing as a all terrain camouflage, you can have a pattern that performs well in most common environments. Hence why MC might have a woodland based Variant. And just to remind you, insurgents have a tendency to fight in mountains, mountains have a tendency to be greener then the desert valley below.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
TheOldBreed

I agree, looks like MARPAT and Flecktarn just had a kid :P
TheOldBreed is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
TheLastManStanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldBreed View Post
I agree, looks like MARPAT and Flecktarn just had a kid :P
Yeah, the pattern is pretty wicked though. If you look close enough you'll notice the Pattern over laps the multiple amount of colours there actually is. I find it kind of genius actually, and MoD isn't phasing out the Woodland. They'll keep it, I think we all know Multicam was developed for Arid Conditions, meanwhile lots of other places with Insurgency are greener then you think and if you knew anything about your camouflage you'd know that Multicam doesn't perform well in Tropical Jungles, African Jungles, Forests the list goes on.
There is a reason why the US army has it only permitted in Afghanistan so far, its Woodland Capabilities are not up to par with an already effective pattern system, MARPAT anyone?

Now that I've established that fact for morons who think that MoD has 'phased out' Woodland DPM is a total twat. Go check the RMs, SBS, UKSFSG, SAS, Pathfinders... do you see them using Multicam? Not really? I've seen Royal Marines dying their Desert Top with a green and it works for what they need. Multicam is nice, but it was only really developed for one place: The Middle East a place the UK won't be operating in 'conventionally' after 2015 I believe since nothing is happening in Libya that can actually give NATO a good enough reason to invade.

So that leaves only two places for conflict, that concerns NATO and guess what gents, its in places MC is known to fail, Tropical Forests and Subarctic Maritime.

Cheers and thats the end of my camouflage rant.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:35 AM   #9
MonkeySoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastManStanding View Post
I mean that it could be a better replacement for a Pattern *Multicam its called* That is honestly terrible in woodland conditions you would find in NA, Europe and Northern Asia. While Mirage, has been designed to handle as many environments as it can because it was first concepted to be a Sniper's Uniform.
You're making compromises when you choose for any camouflage pattern, you have to accept that. Also, are you some sort of PR dude of Mirage camo, or is it just that one article that changed you so all of a sudden? Both camo's are clearly intended to work in different environments, you can't put them next to each other.

Quote:
Meanwhile other countries are adapting a CADPAT Derivative in Displacement Camouflage, *Cough* MARPAT, AOR... ect?
And your point is...?

Quote:
Also another problem I'm seeing is the British MoD is taking away DPM Woodland? Are they off their knockers? Have they seen MC in woodland conditions in the UK? Especially in Scotland? Its like a green blob that stands out pretty bad.
And so would DPM at certain spots, as I said, it's a compromise.

Quote:
And soldier, look at the placement of the blocks then look at Flecktarn. You'll get what I mean quickly.
this

and

this? No, I don't see it as a digital flecktarn.

Also, back up your statements, I haven't seen a single picture of you that proves that multicam is so horrible in the environments you mentioned.

MonkeySoldier is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
MaxBooZe
Project Reality Beta Tester
PR Server License Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxBooZe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySoldier View Post
this? No, I don't see it as a digital flecktarn.
Perhaps he meant Tropentarn, which is quite accurate.

MaxBooZe is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
camouflage, mirage, multicam, pattern