project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
26 Nov 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: why do crewmen wear such funny hats?

For what ever reason, the Soviet-style tanker helmets such as the one Crocop posted were made of fabric only, no hard-shell. Other nations at the time were using hard-shell helmets for their tank crews, and so have most nations since then.

Modern US CVC helmets are made with a liner (very similar in appearance to the WW2 Soviet style) and the outer kevlar shell. The liner acts not only as a cushion against impact, but also holds the communication wiring and headphones.

The older Soviet helmets offered very little impact protection, and were mostly there for holding the comm items in place. Knocking your head against an interior panel with one of those on is about as effective as a down parka against a fastball. It will soften the blow very slightly, but it's still going to hurt like hell and probably won't decrease injury much. But they were lighter, cheaper, and easier to produce. And everyone knows, during WW2 most places didn't have amazing funding.

The kevlar panels on modern CVC helmets is not as thick as what you'd see on a PASGT/MICH/etc combat helmet. They were designed to offer very limited protection against shrapnel only, but they did a decent job at reducing impact damage.

This page
shows some good photos of the older US CVC helmets and liners, and the site also includes the Soviet helmets among many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[R-DEV]Ninja2dan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
Lowjoe

alright, so in conclusion the hats are communication-bearers and bumping-protectors

If I make a grammatical mistake please feel free to send me a PM and correct me. thx

IG: HorniHornsen
Lowjoe is offline Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #13
[R-DEV]Spec
Lead Forum Moderator

Not really bumping-protectors. Rather ear protection and communication system with some cloth over it for comfort, as I see it. Kinda like a medieval arming cap with headphones inside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to [R-MOD]IINoddyII for the signature! || If you need help or have a question, feel free to contact me via
Old 01-21-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
Hotrod525

Send a message via MSN to Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
With ear pro./comms underneath?
Yeah, the PRR headset + the truck headset xD, you get use to it with the time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticPenguin View Post
Probably for comfort, solid kevlar helmets would probably get very cumbersome inside an armoured vehicle, and it might do something to muffle the noise. I guess tanks would get very cold inside in winter as well, maybe not so much for modern tanks though.
Beleive me, there is enought room... armored vehicle arent the spacy, but they arent as small as you might think, depend on where you're in the said vehicle. And its not nosiest with or without the helmet... since the muffer you put on for radio comms are isolated (for obvious reason). Ho... and by the way, comfort is not realy something the military are considering when talking about safety and individual protection against all kind of thing and as you surely know, human loose alot of heat from the head so you're kevlar keep you warm

Last edited by Hotrod525; 01-21-2011 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #15
CroCop
Project Reality Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod525 View Post
Yeah, the PRR headset + the truck headset xD, you get use to it with the time...

Beleive me, there is enought room... armored vehicle arent the spacy, but they arent as small as you might think
Ask the Russians and everyone else using their designs

CroCop is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
crewmen, funny, hats, wear