project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
19 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 AM   #31
Ghost231

Default Re: Canada deploying 20 Leopard 2A4M-Can to Afgh.

Is Canada/Nato retarded or are do they think we (civilians) are retarded?

What the hell is a tank doing in Afghanistan. The Taliban are a guerilla insurgency force. All they need to do is set up IEDs, retreat to mountains where tanks can't go and Voila.

Now I am not saying I am with or against the Taliban or Nato. But, if I was a Nato commander, I would replace every single tank with better equipment for troops, like "dragon skin" skin for example.
Ghost231 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:33 AM   #32
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost231 View Post

What the hell is a tank doing in Afghanistan. The Taliban are a guerilla insurgency force. All they need to do is set up IEDs, retreat to mountains where tanks can't go and Voila.

Now I am not saying I am with or against the Taliban or Nato. But, if I was a Nato commander, I would replace every single tank with better equipment for troops, like "dragon skin" skin for example.
You should try reading some of the posts of this topic before saying this. For instance Hotrod's a few posts above yours.

Furthermore, both Canada and Denmark have proved that tanks are an invaluable asset in afghanistan , which is why the US marines are now deploying tanks too.

There are many reasons why they are an effective solution, such as a huge psychological deterrent as Hotrod describes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-trooper View Post
and according to both british and danish troops on the ground - they are invaluable for a number of reasons:

- On station fire support (no waiting for arty or CAS)
- Overwatch and thermal and scopes for scouting
- Show of force
- Does not destroy entire homes and compounds when you use it compared to area attack weapons.
- Lower cost than using massive amounts of arty and bombs

Those are just a few of the lessons learned.
and when it comes to IEDs they haven't done much damage to the Leo 2's there yet, a danish one was hit by an IDE a few years back, which blew the tracks off and damaged a wheel. It was rolling from the scene again later that day. The recovery tank wasn't even needed. That is the worst damage I have heard the taliban being able to deal to a NATO tank yet.
Z-trooper is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:41 AM   #33
Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Ghost321, do you know what the terrain in Helmand is like?

Also, NATO would probably don't really mind if the Taliban fled into the mountains and stayed there, as long as they leave the civilian population alone.

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:57 AM   #34
dtacs
Supporting Member

While on the topic of Leo's, how exactly does the driver get out? Does he turn around and get out through the hatches like the rest of the crew? It seems like its a bit hard for him to get out due to the frontal armor.

Quote:
wherereas in the Canadian 2A6M (as part of the mine-protection package) the driver's seat has been replaced by a "Dynamic Safety Seat" [24], which is a parachute-harness like arrangement that the driver wears around his hip. 6 large belts hold him in the right position. In this way, the driver does not have any contact with the hull except on the pedals and is out of the shockwave area of exploding land mines or IEDs.
Lol just read that, must be a bitch to get in and out of.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #35
Scot
Supporting Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Scot

Quote:
Quote:
dragon skin
Quote:
dragon skin
Really?!?!?

OPFOR: Dragon Skin redux
Infantry: Dragon Skin Deconstructed

Don't believe everything you see on Future Weapons mate.

Scot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:16 AM   #36
dtacs
Supporting Member

Quote:
And that is why you will fortunately never be a NATO commander.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #37
Masaq
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Masaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
While on the topic of Leo's, how exactly does the driver get out? Does he turn around and get out through the hatches like the rest of the crew? It seems like its a bit hard for him to get out due to the frontal armor.

Having been inside a Challenger 2 () I can tell you that it can hardly be any more cramped than the gunner's seat for that. You are sat beneath the commander's feet. In event of a fire, you're relying on him making a bloody quick escape if you're to survive - either that or pulling him down so you can climb past him.

"That's how it starts, Mas, with that warm happy feeling inside. Pretty soon you're rocking in the corner, a full grown dog addict, wondering where your next St Bernand is coming from..." - IAJTHOMAS
"Did they say what he's angry about?" asked Annette Mitchell, 77, of the district, stranded after seeing a double feature of "Piranha 3D" and "The Last Exorcism." - Washington Post
Masaq is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #38
Hotrod525

Send a message via MSN to Hotrod525

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post

Yeah, even a non up-armored Leopard 2A4 will cause you trouble to get in or out as a driver that why they have put a hatch under the driver seat at beginning now for obvious reason they "seal it with armor", but worst one is always the gunner. He is stuck between the driver and the crew commander. Except the Mk4, i dont known any tank that is realy easy to get in or out :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dunehunter View Post
Also, NATO would probably don't really mind if the Taliban fled into the mountains and stayed there, as long as they leave the civilian population alone.
Yeah so the american can enjoy they're UAV's missile strike xD

Hotrod525 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:29 AM   #39
usmcguy

Quote:

wut?

Anyway I seriously would crap my pants if Is saw one of those as a Taliban..

usmcguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 AM   #40
Pariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dunehunter View Post
Ghost321, do you know what the terrain in Helmand is like?

So true. If the Taliban want to run as fast as they can to the mountains, away from the tanks, thank God I say. Running away ruins their entire plan, as that will drop the civilian population directly into our laps.

I know there's an account from some army unit which handed their AO in Iraq off to the Marines, and heard a few weeks later that the Marines were involved in an eight-hour firefight. Their firefights had only lasted a couple hours on average, and their longest was something like four hours, yet the Marines had an eight hour one after only days or weeks on the ground. Turned out that the Marines didn't have the attached unit of Abrams like the army did, and so they weren't able to simply destroy the houses the insurgents were fighting from.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2a4mcan, afgh, canada, deploying, leopard