project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
24 Apr 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
usmcguy

Default USMC equipment thread

What is the current CH-53 variant used by the Marines? Did some research but couldn't find anything..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
usmcguy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Eddie Baker
Banned
Default Re: [?]U.S.M.C CH-53 variants?

They use the CH-53E Super Stallion (3 engines) in the HMH (Helicopter Marine Heavy) squadrons, but there is still one CH-53D Sea Stallion (2 engines) HMM (Helicopter Marine Medium) squadron left in K-Bay, if I remember right. All of the other HMMs are CH-46E Sea Knights (the ones that haven't converted yet to HMMTs with the Osprey).

Edit: In the future they plan to acquire the CH-53K improved Super Stallion variant.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #3
usmcguy

ok thanks Eddie.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
USMCMIDN

In 2015 they plan on integrating to the K series of CH53s I believe the USMC ordered 24... However they also plan on doing all this other stuff too so it will mostly get held back more yrs for example...

Thee programs are likely a priority for them...

EFV- Almost done will field in 2012 hopefully

Viper- again almost done will field in 2011

F35- almost done will field in 2012-2014

IAR- almost done 2011?

M40a4- already being fielded

JLTV- Hum needs replacement (joint arrangement with US Army)

MPC- Need to replace aging LAVIIA2 fleet (but likely LAVs still will be in service until 2028?)

M1A3 Abram- (Joint procedure with US Army for a lighter, deadlier, and more armored MBT)

CH53K- Not that high on the list I would guess because of the newly acquired V22 however the new commandant is aviation so you never know what the future hold for the USMC
USMCMIDN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
Ironcomatose

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMIDN View Post

IAR- almost done 2011?

M1A3 Abram- (Joint procedure with US Army for a lighter, deadlier, and more armored MBT)
IAR should be in country with the next few units deploying to Afghanistan.

The USMC has no plans to use the M1A3, instead we will take the Army's M1A2s if i understand correctly. For the same reasons stated, not a huge priority.

Hope that helps.

[R-DEV]DuneHunter - No offense to any female gamers, but never, ever underestimate the amount of havoc a woman can unleash upon innocent unsuspecting electronics.
Ironcomatose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
USMCMIDN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcomatose View Post
IAR should be in country with the next few units deploying to Afghanistan.

The USMC has no plans to use the M1A3, instead we will take the Army's M1A2s if i understand correctly. For the same reasons stated, not a huge priority.

Hope that helps.
I asked a couple armor guys attached to my unit they said they were going with it in the near future...

As for the IAR I believe it will be widely integrated in 2011 (every platoon will have one) That is what I have heard at least.
USMCMIDN is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
usmcguy

They need bigger mags for the IAR not enough rounds for suppressive full-auto.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:58 AM   #8
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCMIDN View Post
I asked a couple armor guys attached to my unit they said they were going with it in the near future...
The army isn't even planning on fielding a prototype until 2014, and operational units aren't even scheduled until 2017. When was the last time a DoD procurement went on schedule?

sauce

I've found a few other sources regurgitating those same facts, nothing newer though. We won't be seeing the M1A3 any time soon, and if a contract is put out for the upgrades, it will be publicly announced as required by law.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
Drunkenup

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcguy View Post
They need bigger mags for the IAR not enough rounds for suppressive full-auto.
I agree. While plans are to use a 90 round drum mag, I don't see how that can make up for the 200 in the usual SAW. Even with a heavy barrel and open bolt system, I don't think its going to last nearly as long as the SAW before people go running to the armorer.

IAR's purpose, Light weight, smaller alternative to contemporaries.

M249, Light Weight Machine gun, effective suppression and high reliability.

You can't make up for something that's built to be from the ground up. The IAR is never going to have the sustained fire rate of the SAW, probably never going to have the prolonged reliability and long term maintainability the M249 has maintained. If weight and aging is the problem, why don't we just send a big check over the FN for a number of lightweight Mk 46s?

The IAR has its advantages in the right situations, but wide spread deployment doesn't make sense.
Drunkenup is offline Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
anglomanii

a H&K IAR was was seen by a mate of mine at TK in AVI.(he called it one of those bloody M4 thingies but his discription could only be one thing) actually he said there were several. but they were not in the hands of marines ;[ ;[. also i know for a fact they have 150rnd drum mags and are working on larger capasity ones aswell. so yes these weapons are in the field and are being used, by whom i cant say. but scan any pics of american SF in Urazgan Province and you might get lucky.

<22:31:15> "Supahpingi": i was actually mastrubating ferosiosly to mike meyers pictures
anglomanii is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ch53, equipment, thread, usmc, variants