project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
20 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #31
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Default Re: Hyper Fast Conventional Missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder Zulu View Post
I just read that in Obama's voice and pictured Medvedev on the other line, lol

That would work most of the time, but what if the US wants to have plausible deniability on the attack?
Like, say the missile hits a school instead of an Al-Qaeda safe-house down the street and then ends up killing 100 kids?

Then if Russia or China wants to incriminate the US, they can just reveal that they were notified about the attack.
Seems to me that's part of the reason that the US usually doesn't confirm that it was American missiles that were involved in some strike until they know that there are no civilian casualties.
Predator Drones, well, that's another story.
Plausible deniability requires that it seem at least possible that someone else did it. In the case of a strike like this, that's not going to be possible. Furthermore, if you think that the predator strikes are in the realm of Plausible Deniability, you don't understand the term in the slightest. It is an extremely open secret that the US is conducting missile strikes in NW Pakistan, and that they kill civilians. "Official" or not, everyone knows its happening.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #32
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]BloodBane611 View Post
Furthermore, if you think that the predator strikes are in the realm of Plausible Deniability, you don't understand the term in the slightest. It is an extremely open secret that the US is conducting missile strikes in NW Pakistan, and that they kill civilians. "Official" or not, everyone knows its happening.
I meant that there are times when the US doesn't confirm or deny that American UAVs were used in an attack, but it's failry obvious that it was the US who conducted them.

But I see what you mean about the missiles, though. If they were more similar to the surface to surface ballistic missiles used by another country, then the US might be able to avoid incrimination, even if most people know that it was an American missile, anyway.

But it doesn't seem impossible that another military power (ie. Russia, China, Israel) could develop something similar within a few years. Good military inventions rarely stay in one country's hands for long.
Sidewinder Zulu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #33
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder Zulu View Post
But it doesn't seem impossible that another military power (ie. Russia, China, Israel) could develop something similar within a few years. Good military inventions rarely stay in one country's hands for long.
google Kholod, Raduga-D2, Kh-90/GELA maybe BrahMos-2 can also fall into this list

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:26 PM   #34
CastleBravo

I just read some stuff on the Falcon program and the HTV-2 test recently. What they did is they took parts of a Peacekeeper ICBM booster and attached it to a special glider instead of an RV. The missile gets launched on a shallow trajectory instead of a typical ballistic arc and releases the unpowered glider at a few hundred thousand feet moving at around mach 20. What they are trying to do is make the glider very agile in flight so that it has extreme cross-range capability, meaning that it can turn and strike a target far away from the path the booster rocket took.

Such a missile would be for all intents and purposes uninterceptable. Nothing short of a laser would be able to hit it. Also, you would have no idea what the target is until it hits. It could look like its been fired at one country, then make a turn and hit another target hundreds or maybe even thousands of miles away. They might even make the glider able to release multiple weapons at multiple targets.

The recent test had a problem though. The booster ran great but they stopped getting telemetry from the glider about 10 minutes into its 30 minute flight after separation.
CastleBravo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #35
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
Such a missile would be for all intents and purposes uninterceptable. Nothing short of a laser would be able to hit it.
Well, with the addition of the YAL-1 to the USAF (although it's not yet in full production) then it wouldn't be impossible to shoot down.
If a nuclear WWIII were to happen 10 years from now, a good amount of ICBMs would be taken down by laser weapons. Of course, you need to take them all down in order to avoid MAD.
And apparently the Russians are already working on a type of thermal shielding on their ICBMs to protect them from lasers.

Still, sounds like an interesting idea. If most of these nuclear weapons delivery systems can be modified to carry conventional warheads, I'm sure they'll see a lot of use.
The Tomahawk, for instance, was designed to carry the W80 nuke, and now it's one of the US weapons of choice when it comes to long range conventional missiles.
Sidewinder Zulu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #36
Pariel

Apparently I'm wrong -- after Obama decided to cancel the YAL-1, the Pentagon convinced him to keep it.

Great, now we'll have seven extremely expensive aircraft, none of which can effectively engage any target that we're seriously worried about. I love this plan.

As a point, the YAL-1 can only take out missiles during the ascent phase, and it has a 300 km range against solid state ICBMs. So, the likelihood of it taking out even one, much less a significant portion of Russia's arsenal, is slim to none.
Last edited by Pariel; 04-30-2010 at 07:28 PM..
Old 04-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #37
CastleBravo

I'm more interested in what it can do to a fighter aircraft. I can't think of many ways to die that would be worse than being roasted alive by that laser.
CastleBravo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #38
Pariel

Quote:
I'm more interested in what it can do to a fighter aircraft. I can't think of many ways to die that would be worse than being roasted alive by that laser.
The laser simply heats the aircraft so that the material can't sustain the stress of flight and breaks up. I don't know how hot this would actually make the pilot, but I assume it would be, at the least, very uncomfortable.

It's not predicted to work well on aircraft, as they are significantly more agile than ballistic missiles.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #39
DankE_SPB
Retired PR Developer

Send a message via MSN to DankE_SPB Send a message via Skype™ to DankE_SPB

Quote:
at 1.05 and maybe 24.12
Ударная Сила - Лазерная Война
the show on its own is crap, but rare interesting footage appears there

[R-DEV]Z-trooper: you damn russian bear spy ;P - WWJND?
DankE_SPB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #40
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

As I understand, procurement of the YAL-1 is canceled:

Quote:
Gates cut the program from the Air Force’s fiscal 2010 budget, though the service still has money to pursue the research of directed energy laser weapons.
Source

Also, since it can only hit missiles in the boost phase, I doubt that it's capable of hitting a target moving at Mach 20.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
conventional, fast, hyper, missiles