project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
24 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
Sidewinder Zulu

Default Re: Hyper Fast Conventional Missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_J0k3r View Post
every major city will be a smoking glass crates.
Well, not necessarily.

Cold War-era strategy for a "limited" nuclear war called for using low-yield nuclear weapons on the battlefield (ie. dropping a 5 kiloton nuke on an enemy forward operation base or advancing brigade of tanks) but not using nukes on an opponent's factories, shipyards, and urban centers.

Most military strategists think this wouldn't happen in real life, since killing your opponent's citizens is just an aspect of "total war" (Like WWII, Allies bombing German cities to kill civilians, and vice versa) so in reality any war that starts with tactical nuclear weapons in use will probably end with both sides having most of their major cities destroyed.
Interesting, but I guess it's a different discussion.
Sidewinder Zulu is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
BloodBane611
Supporting Member

Quote:
The new weapon could be launched from air, land or sea on a long-range missile travelling at suborbital altitudes above 350,000ft. The missile releases a hypersonic pilotless plane that receives updates from satellites as it homes in on its target at up to five times the speed of sound, generating so much heat that it has to be shielded with special materials to avoid melting.
This is not a ballistic missile. It uses an ICBM to gain altitude, but then it flies like a plane. To anyone with a sophisticated long range radar system, it will not look like an ICBM after the first few minutes.

[R-CON]creepin - "because on the internet 0=1"

BloodBane611 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM   #23
Cpt. Trips

When it's at mach 5 and about to penetrate your airspace, are you really going make that technical distinction?
Cpt. Trips is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #24
Pariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]BloodBane611 View Post
This is not a ballistic missile. It uses an ICBM to gain altitude, but then it flies like a plane. To anyone with a sophisticated long range radar system, it will not look like an ICBM after the first few minutes.
But if Russia, China, or for that matter anyone else with nuclear weapons thinks that it is a nuclear missile in those first few minutes, it will have serious political consequences.

And again, anyone on the receiving end of this thing will definitely confider the fact that this thing could be modified to deliver nuclear weapons. We may know we'd never do that, but everyone else it not going to be so trusting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Trips View Post
When it's at mach 5 and about to penetrate your airspace, are you really going make that technical distinction?
Given that it's launched off an ICBM, it would be in plane mode thousands of miles away from Russia or China if launched from the US. I'm quite sure no one would be stupid enough to fly it through a country like China or Russia, the same way we don't penetrate their airspace with our conventional forces.
Pariel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #25
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Trips View Post
If it's about starting WWIII, then yes, you are absolutely going to make that distinction.
Nobody is going to launch nuclear-armed ICBMs unless they are certain that the missile heading towards their country is nuclear.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #26
CastleBravo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder Zulu View Post
If it's about starting WWIII, then yes, you are absolutely going to make that distinction.
Nobody is going to launch nuclear-armed ICBMs unless they are certain that the missile heading towards their country is nuclear.
Unless someone screws up royal. While you are making that distinction you are going to be putting your nuclear arms on alert status and getting ready to use them if it turns out that you need to. A weapon like this leaves less margin for error.
CastleBravo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #27
Pariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleBravo View Post
A weapon like this leaves less margin for error.
This is true. While it may not be the Cold War anymore, making other countries with nuclear weapons antsy is not a great plan of attack.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #28
Dunehunter
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Send a message via MSN to Dunehunter

Well, maybe just call some people up? "Yo Russia, China, sup guys? I dunno if you've heard yet, but there's this bitch over in Helmand that's been talking shit about my girl, so I'm gonna drop one of these babies on him. You guys cool with that?"

[R-MOD]Jigsaw] I am drunk. I decided to come home early because I can''t realy seea nyithng. I hthknk i madea bad choicce.
Dunehunter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:04 PM   #29
Sidewinder Zulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Dunehunter View Post
Well, maybe just call some people up? "Yo Russia, China, sup guys? I dunno if you've heard yet, but there's this bitch over in Helmand that's been talking shit about my girl, so I'm gonna drop one of these babies on him. You guys cool with that?"
I just read that in Obama's voice and pictured Medvedev on the other line, lol

That would work most of the time, but what if the US wants to have plausible deniability on the attack?
Like, say the missile hits a school instead of an Al-Qaeda safe-house down the street and then ends up killing 100 kids?

Then if Russia or China wants to incriminate the US, they can just reveal that they were notified about the attack.
Seems to me that's part of the reason that the US usually doesn't confirm that it was American missiles that were involved in some strike until they know that there are no civilian casualties.
Predator Drones, well, that's another story.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #30
Pariel

There's no way they could have plausible deniability with this weapon. No one else has it, and a lot of people will know if we use it.

Tags
conventional, fast, hyper, missiles