project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
23 Sep 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Default BaE unveils FRES-SV candidate

It looks like this is one of the competitors for the recce variant of FRES (Future Rapid Effects System). From what I have read FRES is aimed at replacing most of the CVR-T and CVR-W family of vehicles in the British Army. This contender would replace the FV-107 Scimitar.

So, here are some pictures:

YouTube Video

Link here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by eddie; 02-24-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Element66

Default Re: BaE unveils FRES-SV candidate

looks like a impressive piece a kit, even if it is a fair bit larger than the scimi...

i assume the protected mobility is some sort of Spartan replacement?

haven't seen a great deal from GDuk proposal (ASCOD2?), whens the MoD due to make a decision on this? first quarter of 2010 was what i read a while back iirc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Last edited by Element66; 02-24-2010 at 12:21 PM..
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Yeah it's what I read too.

I'm not sure why the other variants are included in the video to be honest as I thought the Piranha V (Piranha III is Stryker btw) was going to make up the rest of FRES with the FRES-SV being a seperate competition altogether. I think the ASCOD-2 is the other competitor, not seen or heard much about it tbh.

I do know GD pulled out of the WFLIP/WCSP competition though as BaEs 40mm cannon was already selected and had the turret for it ready made. Looks like the same turret on this one too.

eddie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
Element66

i think that though the Piranha V won that aspect of FRES, the MoD decided not to use it for some reason or other... i remeber there being some drama about what a waste of money the program was, but not sure why they didn't go through with it

random source - "provisional selection of Piranha 5 as the preferred design"
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/De...shArmyfres.htm

Element66 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Interesting, got a link for it? I heard that the program had been effectively shelved as there we more pressing matters at the moment, which is fair enough, but I'm the kind of person who looks to what could happen, not what is happening. We'll need some kind of FRES vehicles implemented within the next ten years I think.

Also, call me stupid but would it not be better to replace the Warriors we're upgrading rather than just buy expensive add-ons? It's a Cold War machine constantly playing catch-up with 21st century technology.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
space
Banned

Any reason for the square barrel?
space is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Element66

trying to find the specific article but some stuff here

BBC NEWS | UK | UK Politics | Armoured vehicle delays condemned

"It warned that the Fres programme could be caught up in a "vicious circle of delays" as the requirement was continually revised. "

""We are concerned that the Fres requirement may simply be unachievable without a major technical breakthrough." "

"Defence Procurement Minister Lord Drayson acknowledged Fres had taken several years to reach its present stage and that the requirements had changed in the light of the experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan. "

filler quote here:

BBC NEWS | UK | Carriers victim of cash crisis

"The Army will suffer its own further delays to its long-awaited FRES family of utility vehicles, with the project now being "restructured","

Old 02-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

In the article
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defense-Update
The demonstrator vehicle was displayed with enhanced protection for the barrel and massive protecting for the cradle, eliminating a potential weak point in the vehicle's frontal arc.
Edit: Thanks for that Element, it's as I thought. I suppose this wouldn't be the forum to rant about Labours funding of the Social Security budget?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Element66

RE: the warrior, im sure one of the military experts will be able to provide a better judgement, but as far as i know its suppose to be a good peice of kit in that its fairly fast and has good protection (should do with all the armour packages they spent on it lately), just the guns a bit rubbish (can't be fired on the move, suppose to be a pain in the arse to operate/reload).

but again this is just random things ive heard about it, so best to see what people who actaully use it have to say...

Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #10
eddie
The [R-MOD]s' Poodle

Well I've read somewhere the cannon is fired in 3 round stripper clips and can fire up to six. No FCS although the first round is supposed to be very accurate.

Tags
200, bae, candidate, creates, deal, fressv, jobs, light, newbridge, tank, unveils