project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
20 Aug 2014, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

Contact Support Team Frequently Asked Questions Register today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
nick20404

Default Re: Would any fighter jet use it's cannons on ground targets?

As many said in this thread yes.

LiveLeak.com - U.S. Air Force Strafing Attack On Insurgents In Iraq

(WARNING)Video is somewhat graphic.
nick20404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
cplgangster

ive always wonderd if anyone on the ground ever got hit by like the MG fire in the dog fighting of the old ww2 planes and stuff. How ever like said im sure they can so yeh i would see it as a legit thing.

FuzzySquirrel =US=:And the point is me sneekin up on a U.S tank IF i had c4 or a mine they would have been dead
[R-DEV]AfterDune: And we all agree, that is pretty.. pretty bad-ass!
Darth.Skylinei remember this one time i was running to the living room, so i decided to jump to get me there faster (yeah vBF2 style haha) - but then i hit my head on the top part of the door
cplgangster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
Tim270
Retired PR Developer

Does make sense that they would, however I think bombs and other ordinance have more preference, for example most of the combat footage I have seen in Afg is done in and around compounds and a bomb is a lot more effective at clearing them than a strafing run. Also, it might be exposing the aircraft to a lot more low level AA fire.
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
SuperTimo

Send a message via MSN to SuperTimo

i believe they do if required. If you watch ross kemp, return to Afghanistan they call in for an F-18 strafing run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperTimo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:25 PM   #15
Alex6714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Does make sense that they would, however I think bombs and other ordinance have more preference, for example most of the combat footage I have seen in Afg is done in and around compounds and a bomb is a lot more effective at clearing them than a strafing run. Also, it might be exposing the aircraft to a lot more low level AA fire.
Whatever is the required force for the job I would think would take preference.

But remember, most of these cannons may not be gau-8s, but they are similar to your friendly APC cannons on steroids.

I think the Mig cannon is also 30mm? Its like having an BTR90 fire at you or similar, except at 2000rpm, or an LAV at 6000rpm.

"Today's forecast calls for 30mm HE rain with a slight chance of hellfires"

"oh, they're fire and forget all right...they're fired then they forget where the target is"
Alex6714 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #16
hiberNative

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick20404 View Post
As many said in this thread yes.

LiveLeak.com - U.S. Air Force Strafing Attack On Insurgents In Iraq

(WARNING)Video is somewhat graphic.
hmm, that looked pretty weak and way too spread out. the people in teh car just ran and then might have survived anyway.
compare that run to the effectiveness of the apache.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
hiberNative is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #17
Eddie Baker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [EC]DR.NOobFragger View Post
Sorry if this is not a place to ask questions or what not but I was wondering if in real life would an F-15 or any other similar fighter jet would use its cannon on ground targets such as a truck or maybe APC?
F-15Es have done so quite frequently in Afghanistan, including at what is now known as The Battle of Roberts' Ridge.
Eddie Baker is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
CAS_117

They did it for lulz:

Aviation Art-Original Canadian Landscape Paintings-Limited Edition Giclée Prints-Catalog Shopping-Rich Thistle Studio

Quote:
It was during one of these CAP missions, at 2:00am on January 30 that two Canadian pilots, Maj. David “DW” Kendall and Capt. Steve “Hillbilly” Hill were called upon to attack an Iraqi patrol boat, a TCN-45 which carry the deadly anti-ship Exocet missile and anti-aircraft guns. Both aircraft strafed the speeding boat, well illuminated by moonlight, with observed 20 mm cannon hits. Passes were made to try a weapons system lock for the-air-to ground Sidewinder, but the boat’s heat signature was insufficient. In a subsequent pass, Kendall received a full system lock on air-to-air mode and launched a Sparrow missile which impacted the water close to the boat. This event represented the first instance of Canadian forces firing on an enemy in a declared combat since the Korean War. Otherwise however, CAP missions proved to be relatively routine. The armourers were frustrated with the lack of work.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 AM   #19
OriginalWarrior

HooaH

Strafing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
OriginalWarrior is offline Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 AM   #20
xatu miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim270 View Post
Bombs are used in cases where the target is in a area where it wouldn't hurt civilians and friendly and would not cause big damage to urban areas. For example a Coalition convoy is attacked in a urban area. The attackers are 70 meters east of the road. The civilians are between the attackers and friendly. Now in this case you would never use a 500lbs air burst wouldn't you? In this situation light weapons(if you can call them that) come in handy such as 70mm rockets or cannons because they will not cause huge collateral damage that would hurt civilians and friendlys.

The SAM danger in Afghanistan and Iraq exists although its not big. In both of those country there are only around 200 active sams. Most of them are kept close to clan leaders and once fired they cannot be reloaded. Dushkas and other anti-aircraft cannons are more common although are significantly less accurate.

"Intermolecular interactions in the flake's matrix could be weakened by the plasticizer [water], leading to the solubilization of some components, and to a decrease in mechanical integrity."
READ: Water makes cereal soggy.
xatu miller is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
cannons, fighter, ground, jet, targets