project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Off-Topic Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Military Technology
20 Nov 2017, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Forum RulesDeveloper Blogs Project Reality Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Military Technology Discussion on military hardware.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #21
single.shot (nor)
Default Re: Modern Conventional Warfare

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo_ii View Post
No.

CoD, CoD 2, and CoD 4 = Suger-pumped 12-year-olds on a cocaine high running around with guns and superhuman abilities. Anyone who legitimately thinks that any of these games compare to real warfare needs a punch in the face.
indeed.
but lets go ontopic: wouldn't a conventional war not be using nukes? as its conventional?

lets say Iran gets attacked for not stopping nuke program, by the EU. (well they have 15 battlegroups, most of which the nations dont posess nukes.) iran is big = fast momentum warfare? as in tank galloping forwards backed up by attack choppers and jets, while the inf moves behind to clear villages and whatnot"

what i say is, momentum warfare is still the prime offensive strategy, right?

War is a huge matter for a nation. it's the field of life and death, destruction and survival, and such matters cannot be left unstudied. - Sun Tzu
single.shot (nor) is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:25 AM   #22
nick20404

Wars will become less gungho more technical and politically correct, there is so much media coverage on every front it is impossible to do anything outside of the box without everyone breathing down your neck so stuff like nuking people etc probably won't ever happen unless there is significant cause for it. Even if we did invade Iran we would probably not even get close to using any type of nuclear weaponry it would probably be something along the lines of the Iraq invasion.

It probably can't be said what the next conventional war is going to be like because we don't know who it will be between, I honestly don't see any conventional war happening in the middle east the closest thing I can think of that would be like a conventional war would be if north Korea started something. Seems like in the years to come we will be fighting off insurgency's and guerrilla forces.
nick20404 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #23
masterceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technoelite View Post

Yom Kippur yes six day war was a combination yes no intelligent bombs but u are wrong it was actually quite modern egypt did actually use t 55 mbt and the Israelis used the british made centurion there was shermans and t34's then but in reserve units no they may not be in the same league as todays tanks but they were powerfull still used by some nations today. The egypt at the start nearly destroyed the Israil airforce with missile and radar guided AA and russian made SA missile systems on the Suez channal, then egypt used sagar rockets to attack the assualting IDF troops, if egypt didnt try to help syria and advance it could have been different.
not really, shermans were used extensivly in the invasion of Sinai in six day war, hundreds of them were charging egyptian positions along with pattons. i agree on these tanks being powerfull but they cannot represent todays tank battles, they lacked of advanced tracking systems and ability to strike at night. i would like to correct my early statement about the lack of missles: i was thinking more about something like long range cruise/tomahawk missles and SCUDs. i was aware of AT and AA missles, i just said it in a wrong way.

Priby:Why cant i be norwegian?
H.sta:becouse we are a specially selected bunch of people created by god to show how awsome mankind can be
Last edited by masterceo; 04-19-2009 at 11:45 AM..
Old 04-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #24
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

It was not WW2 stock Shermans, they were upgraded in nearly every possible way

Quote:
One of the best Kepts secrets in the Sinai Campaign (1956) was the participation of US made Sherman M-50 tanks on which the French mounted a 75mm gun. When the Sinai Campaign (1956) war broke out, Israel had 180 Shermans ready for battle of total 205 Shermans. M-50s were active combatans in the Sinai Peninsula and in the daring battle on the Roeifa Dam under the command of Moshe Brill. After many tracks and engine modifications by the IDF, they were used in the Six Day War (1967) and Yom Kippur War (1973).

When the Six Day War (1967) war broke out, Israel had 515 Shermans ready for battle of total 520 Shermans, and when the Yom Kippur War (1973) war broke out, Israel had 340 Shermans.

In 1983 Chile acquired a number of M-50s from Israel.

M-51 (Isherman)

When the M-50 designed to defeat T-34 and T-85 tanks with the CN 75-50 gun, with appearance of T-54 and T-55 the new Arab tanks Israeli needed again new gun and as on M-50 Israel used French gun, the new 105mm CN 105 F1 gun. This gun was a 56 calibre and 6m long, firing a HEAT round with a 1000 m/sec. However, this gun could definitely not be installed in a Sherman turret, as this offered not enough recoil space. Israel then came up with a solution of their own: By shortening the gun to a 44 calibre gun (about 1.4 meters shorter) and accepting a lower muzzle velocity of around 800 m/sec. this odification, called the CN 105 D1 gun, could indeed be crammed into a T 23 turret.

This gun was fitted in M4A1 tanks with HVSS, 180 M-51 tanks were ready in late 1960's. The M-51 Sherman tank developed with French-Israeli collaboration of the basis of the US Sherman tank, mounted a long 105 mm gun. The tank also had installed a US diesel engine and wide track and suspension. The tank participated in combat during the Six Day War (1967). In the famous battle in the Dotan Valley, as well as in the Yom Kippur War (1973).

When the Six Day War (1967) war broke out, Israel had 515 Shermans ready for battle of total 520 Shermans, and when the Yom Kippur War (1973) war broke out, Israel had 340 Shermans.
IDF ARMOR

Six day war and Yom kippur were imo classic conventional warfare of that time, heavy armor and airpower...Just like it was expected from the US and SU in event of war.

Heres a map of the sinai fighting in yom kippur
781px-1973_sinai_war_maps.jpg (image)

If you want modern day conventional warfare..you have the 2008 Georgia Russia August war and the second Iraqi invasion.

ZZEZ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #25
masterceo

i never said that they were WW2 shermans, i know they have been constantly upgraded after their purchase.

Priby:Why cant i be norwegian?
H.sta:becouse we are a specially selected bunch of people created by god to show how awsome mankind can be
masterceo is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
ZZEZ
Retired PR Developer

I know you never said it, I added that part so people wouldn't think that old US junk was beating state of art Soviet tanks.

ZZEZ is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
conventional, modern, warfare